Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 PM

12 posts, read 85,241 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to NOLA area due to a job transfer. We're looking at houses in Mandeville / Madisonville area. My questions are:
Any thoughts on one town over another?
And, seriously, how bad are we gonna get burned on our homeowners insurance?
Can anyone recommend a good agent/agency?
Thanks in advance...
jed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM

144 posts, read 744,229 times
Both are equally wonderful. If you have specific questions I can try to help but honestly they are both great and not that much different. Madisonville has more of a small town feel to it (and more locals), but with all the recent development in that area, that may be less and less true.

Latter & Blum is v. popular.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 AM

12 posts, read 85,241 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 PM

212 posts, read 572,897 times
all insurance in se la is high. think of it this way its like living in a state with high property taxes.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:51 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
What you want to do is to buy north of I-12. Home insurance rates are cheaper above I-12.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 13,237 times
Madisonville is closer to the Tchefuncte river, hiher flooding risk and higher flood insurance. Mandeville is higher, specially north of I-12 no- flood zones. Insurance cheaper. You can call Geico and they could get you connected with the right quote. If you live outside the city limits you don't pay city taxes. Both cities are great. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 PM

6 posts, read 25,612 times
Abita springs is also nice with less chance of floods so the insurance would probably be cheaper & it is about 10 minutes from madisonville hth.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 AM

24 posts, read 112,414 times
Default Insurance

Rates have fallen since 1/1/2009 due to more agencies writing policies. We were quoted $110 to $175 per month for a $350K home in Mandeville. The price spread is based on deductible levels, liability coverage, etc.

Try Orleans Insurance Agency ask for Paul; I won't give a phone number or website as you can look this up on yellowpages.com. He handles multiple companies and will give you quotes. I am sure there are other agents in the area too. Paul was the most helpful with us.

Keep in mind that flooding did not go north of Monroe Street in Mandeville during Katrina. This doesn't mean that it won't go further north should a storm come directly at Mandeville but staying north of Florida street should be good.

Wind damage was the same in Mandeville/Covington/Madisonville as the towns are really close together. Madisonville flooded downtown because of Ike as did the first few blocks of Mandeville nearest the lake. But there are areas of both towns are are fine.

Based on weather patterns and increased hurricane intensity. I would say that you really need to be at least 150 miles from the coast to miss most wind damage. Gustav was a category 2/1 all the way into Arkansas, I believe.

Having said this, you really should be more concerned about flooding than wind damage as you are at risk of wind damage anywhere on the Gulf coast. Also, don't buy that IH-12 acts as an inland levee; it is really about areas north of the highway being on higher ground and further from the lake than anything else. I would also stay away from neighborhoods near rivers as they can and do overflow.

Take care,

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans