Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 05:34 PM

44 posts, read 197,331 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to say hello to everyone here, as Ill be moving in just a few short weeks to NOLA. So far, there's a lot of discouragement on this board about the city, but I would love to hear some good things about summertime in NOLA.
Im moving from the South Side of Chicago (not a popular place on the Chicago board either, so Im used to negativity) to the Westbank. Has anyone ever moved from Chicago to NOLA, and how is the adjustment?
Well, basically just wanted to introduce myself, as Ill soon be there. Any tips would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 PM

323 posts, read 1,126,701 times
Congratulations on your move to NOLA. I don't live in NOLA or Chicago, but have spent significant time in both. The main adjustments you'll have to make are that NOLA is much, much smaller than Chicago, with maybe an eighth of Chicago's population. Also, NOLA's mass transit is not as extensive as Chi-town, but nor is NOLA difficult to drive in - compared to Chicago.
I think you might enjoy the relatively short trip you must take to get into the wilderness or enjoy the out of doors compared to Chicago.
The summers in NOLA are hot, but the winters in Chicago are more miserable than the hot summers in NOLA, in my opinion.

Good luck and keep an open mind!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the reply!
The difficulties that you mentioned will be easily borne by me Mostly because I am ALWAYS in my car and havent utilised mass transit in years (burnt myself out on it in college). I avoid the Chicago downtown because I cannot stand driving in it... it is insane, you are absolutely right about Chicago being VERY difficult to drive in!
I visited NOLA and the rest of SE LA briefly and found the natural beauty far superior to that of Illinois. And, as an avid horsewoman who has to drive an hour or more for some open spaces, this will be greatly appreciated...
And finally, Chicago winters are out of my worst nightmares. This last one was so terrible I think I began to get Seasonal Affective Disorder.
So, based on your response, I think there will be a lot for me to enjoy in NOLA! Thanks for replying!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,992,209 times
Tip: As a future Westbank resident you must now call it the Bestbank . Welcome to the area.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:08 PM

258 posts, read 1,016,662 times
I'm from Chicago, born and raised southside.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:54 PM

Miserylovesco
HOw long ago did you move from Chicago to New Orleans? What do you think? Was it a smooth transition for you? Anything you miss?

Old 05-25-2008, 04:40 PM

258 posts, read 1,016,662 times
I'm "officially" moving in 2 weeks, I was staying at a friends place for a while and was coming back and forth.
I've actually gotta send a friend to look at an apt for me in the quarter today.

Anyhow, I do miss the food of Chicago, I love the New Orleans style but Italian beef and REAL hot dogs and pizza are things I simply refuse to eat outside of Chicago.

Nola is way smaller, you pretty much stick to your area like Chicago.
Living in Wicker Park, I spent more time in New Orleans than I did in Lincoln park or Wrigelyville last year.

ps. awesome to see another sox hat roaming around the dirty south.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:02 PM

530 posts, read 2,617,437 times
NOLA is an interesting place to live. There has been a large increase in crime on the West Bank, especially in Jefferson Parish. Just be careful.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 AM

144 posts, read 741,971 times
Nola is more "towny" than Chicago... people really care where your from, where you went to college/high school... "who yo mama is", etc. Kind of reminds me more of STL than Chicago, ya' know?

Anyway - welcome!!!

The downside... I think the politics actually MIGHT BE more corrupt down here than at home! Eeek!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans