Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 77,263 times

Advertisements

My name is Renee and I am moving from New York to Mandeville, Louisiana into the Botanica Apartments. I was wondering what it was like where I am moving and what to expect being from New York. What is going to be different and what kinds of places are around me? Where would I go to meet people and have fun? If any one could help me at all it would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 11:49 AM

144 posts, read 744,288 times
Botanica is one of the nicer complexes available right now. You will be happy there. IT's in a nice spot with lots of shopping - Banana, Ann Taylor, Barns & Noble and a few others are just a few blocks away. Several nice boutiques. Two nice health clubs are within a few miles.

What to expect? Oh let me see... Mandeville is an older area with TONS of new development since Katrina. You will notice a lot of construction right now, please be patient! Widening roads and new stores are going up all over the place. Old Mandeville looks like an old southern small town with quaint resteraunts and art shops. The expansion has brought in all the stores and subdivisions like the rest of the world. Covington is a little bigger, right down the road, and is very much the same. It's nice, you'll like it!

People are so very nice down here. I have been here less than a year and have friends to go to dinner, drinks with. Many people are not from here and I have found everyone to be very open and warm and helpful. The vegetation is beautiful, v. different from up north. Where to go to have fun... are you younger and single or socializing w your family or more mature looking for friends?

Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM

15 posts, read 77,263 times
I am moving there with my boyfriend. We are looking to see what kinds of things we are going to be able to do, I am 18 and he is 21, are there romanric dinning places? What kind of clubs or bars are in the area? What else would you like me to know?

Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM

144 posts, read 744,288 times
Well - at 18 I don't think you can get into bars to be honest HOwever since you asked... Columbia Street Tap Room and Grill, Covington, Louisiana The Tap Room is v. popular and has great music. There are several great dive bars also - The Red Barn Pub in Mandeville, The Pub in Covington, etc.

Rip's (resteraunt) in Mandeville is on the lake and is beautiful. Honestly there are so many nice resteraunts I would be doing you a disservice by listing bc i would surely leave one out... Etoile, Juniper - Fine dining Creole restaurant with catering - Mandeville, LA, Welcome to .:: Nuvolari's ::., you will figure it out.

Every other FRI night (I think that's right) in Covington are block parties downtown, featuring live music, food and drinks, the shops are open... They also have an "evening stroll" once a month where all the galleries are open, serving drinks, etc. Welcome to Covington, Louisiana - there is an event calendar.
There is also one in Mandeville once a month at the "Trace" - where the bike trail starts.

The trace: Tammany Trace - Rails to Trail - Louisiana

This is a brewery (I think the last one in Louisiana!) that has great food, offers tours, etc. Abita Brew Pub

NO will provide so many things to do I don't think I can go into all of it! check out nola.com!

I can't say that I know of any 'clubs', but once you get on the southshore, you will.

There are more outdoor festivals and parties here than I have ever encountered. When you grab a paper you will be shocked at how quickly a weekend can fill up! And - as far as a culture shock - everyone drinks, all the time. I respectfully see that you are under 21, but wanted to let you know that it seems to be part of the gig down here... hence the drive-thru daquiri bar (God love them).

Old 06-12-2008, 03:17 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times
Default Hot, hot, hot

I also moved to Louisiana from Upstate NY and the biggest change for you will be the weather. It is very hot down here. I've been here (close to Mandeville) for 27 years now and I love it but the first couple of years I stayed in the airconditioning!! I still have to make sure that any yard work is done by early afternoon cause it's just to hot. I never knew that you could have 100% humidity and it not be raining.

But....that being said....I really love it here. The people are very friendly, the food is fantastic and there is alot to do for fun. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans