Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:58 PM

19 posts, read 94,150 times

Advertisements

I, too, love New Orleans, but I live here. I see the projects 1 block away from my apartment right here in the French Quarter everyday. I've seen people get murdered (not often) in broad daylight in "nice" areas like the Quarter. I've seen cops violently assaulting innocent people while murderers two or three blocks away run rampant. Yes, I love New Orleans but anyone with any sense living here will tell you it's mostly a facade. We have whored-out our culture and history for the sake of tourism.

Like I said, I love this town, but people who move here or visit here see very little, if any, of the "real" New Orleans. The Vieux Carre' is "safe," but it's nowhere near downtown Manhattan or downtown Atlanta, and it's our most famous neighborhood. Parts of Uptown have their own little neighborhood "police," which make the quality of life there MUCH better. The Quarter, with all its charm, however, is still policed by the 8th District N.O.P.D. They are (mostly) horrible people. The reality is dealing with a LOT of tourists, crooked cops, hustlers, and tricks every time you walk outside. Not to say that isn't found in most big cities, but New Orleans isn't a big town. I think this is why it's true "bad side" has long been often ignored. It's not really better or worse than Compton or some place like that. It's just a lot more ghetto fabulous than people realize. Not to mention, it is insanely unhealthy in general.

I love the beauty and charm of the city and the old Quarter, but I see it for what it is.

And, as far as my post being negative, I was and am serious. I work next door to an agency filing claims against insurance companies for the formaldehyde found in FEMA trailers and the TOXIC effect it's having on the people living in them.

Also, there is a dusty cloud of industrial waste always floating around town from the levee failures and the flooding from Katrina. That sh** soup is still in our water system because the president signed a waiver allowing us to pump that sh**--UN-FILTERED--back into our water supply.

The air here makes most people sick. Literally. It's not like it was before Katrina. I'm not joking. Most people have a really ugly cough down here (including myself).

Granted, where else can you see this (poorly-maintained) architecture? I honestly do love the buildings here, but there are a lot of sad buildings. The food? The music? The parades and festivals? Yes, it is all wonderful, and there is truly no place like New Orleans, BUT the city can easily be described as a bouquet of roses and feces. It's enchantment served up with filth and disgust. That's not me downing it. That's just what it is. And, it is what it is.

I love New Orleans. I'll NEVER leave, if I can help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:25 PM

212 posts, read 899,840 times
The really sad thing is that The Netherlands has created a levee system that could handle even a category 5 hurricane without weakening. I don't know why no one has bothered to look into making levees like that for where it's needed in the U.S.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,690,232 times
Default Truth or Fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
I appreciate your response, Miss Cookie Moses, but that isn't exactly what I wanted to hear. I was expecting some more positive responses that would encourage me to move there, not scare me away.
Do you want people's perceptions or just what you want to hear? Better to hear all sides than to have yes-it's-fine meaningless answers. I was born in N.O., lived there most of my life, and am appalled every time I go back, to see how little has really been done. Aside from Metairie and the tourist areas, the city is a shambles. And yes, I was there for 2 weeks in May. I've been there every 2 months or so since Katrina and not much has changed since 2005.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,235,423 times
MODERATOR: Back to asthma, please, we're drifting OT. Let's start a new thread for a general discussion.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 PM

212 posts, read 899,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Do you want people's perceptions or just what you want to hear? Better to hear all sides than to have yes-it's-fine meaningless answers. I was born in N.O., lived there most of my life, and am appalled every time I go back, to see how little has really been done. Aside from Metairie and the tourist areas, the city is a shambles. And yes, I was there for 2 weeks in May. I've been there every 2 months or so since Katrina and not much has changed since 2005.
You have a good point there. I would rather hear all sides than yes-it's fine meaningless answers. So Metairie is doing well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans