U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessallen View Post
>> Lots of diversity in race and religion.

We are moving from Colorado and have four adopted kids, two of whom are Black. Is Metarie a good choice for us? I have been told the Jefferson Parish is not a good place for Blacks. Would my kids have a rough time there? How about the high schools? All four are in high school.
If they all four would be in the same public high school, I really don't know if I could suggest Metairie or the south for that matter. In a private high school it probably wouldn't be that big of an issue, since the kids are generally a little more respectful. They might get picked on some, though, since this is nearly unheard of around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 PM

4,591 posts, read 5,183,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
If they all four would be in the same public high school, I really don't know if I could suggest Metairie or the south for that matter. In a private high school it probably wouldn't be that big of an issue, since the kids are generally a little more respectful. They might get picked on some, though, since this is nearly unheard of around here.
Maybe in Baton Rouge it's unheard of but not New Orleans or the surrounding area. I think you'll be just fine.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Maybe in Baton Rouge it's unheard of but not New Orleans or the surrounding area. I think you'll be just fine.
Then I guess alot more than I thought has changed since I lived in New Orleans.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM

530 posts, read 2,459,071 times
I have to agree with you BTR. I would highly recommend a private school for your kids. My family and I did the opposite move LA to CO after Katrina. After leaving NOLA it was really eye opening to see how racist the community is in general back in New Orleans (Not everyone of course).

Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 AM

212 posts, read 843,583 times
I don't know what happened here, but I started this thread, and now it's getting off topic. I think Jessallen meant to start a new thread, and accidentally started this thread on an old one.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM

13 posts, read 47,945 times
Lets put it this way. I live in Louisville,KY and have friends that live in NOLA. And they live in Metairie right down the street from Lake Pontchatrain. And they got about 2 ft of water in there house from Katrina. But in true New Orleans in Lakeshore I think all of the street got water in the house except Laksehore Pkwy. And on Lakeshore Pkwy you walk up a hill less that 20 yars and then you see Lake Pontchatrain. And thre street didnt get any water in the house or on that part of the street. My friends mom lived on Lakeshore Pkwy (Now in assistant living). And now they are cleaning it out to sell it. So some areas of New Orleans/Metairie got flooding and some didnt. And at that time the Nation Guard where there and still are there to this day. And after Katrina she livied on top of the roof of her mom's house and the NG would come by and everything to check up on her and all that. So that make it a little safer. But when I was there there was a murder right down the street from my friends mom assistant living apt. and they had the streets blocked off had helicopters urrounding the area not that many cops though mostly the NG take care of the murders. I mean after katrina the NOPD stole Cadillacs from dealers and looted other places. So the NG was better being there.

So in other word you are better off in Metaire.

Yes it is safer but being right next to New Orleans it does have a some what high crime rate. But is safer in general but also remeber that crime can happen ANYWHERE.

Off the topic here. I found this a little funny. My friend was watching TV late at night and this commercial came on saying: Attn all Metairie residents. But they where say Metairie as ME-TAR-EE.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 PM

212 posts, read 843,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman159 View Post
Lets put it this way. I live in Louisville,KY and have friends that live in NOLA. And they live in Metairie right down the street from Lake Pontchatrain. And they got about 2 ft of water in there house from Katrina. But in true New Orleans in Lakeshore I think all of the street got water in the house except Laksehore Pkwy. And on Lakeshore Pkwy you walk up a hill less that 20 yars and then you see Lake Pontchatrain. And thre street didnt get any water in the house or on that part of the street. My friends mom lived on Lakeshore Pkwy (Now in assistant living). And now they are cleaning it out to sell it. So some areas of New Orleans/Metairie got flooding and some didnt. And at that time the Nation Guard where there and still are there to this day. And after Katrina she livied on top of the roof of her mom's house and the NG would come by and everything to check up on her and all that. So that make it a little safer. But when I was there there was a murder right down the street from my friends mom assistant living apt. and they had the streets blocked off had helicopters urrounding the area not that many cops though mostly the NG take care of the murders. I mean after katrina the NOPD stole Cadillacs from dealers and looted other places. So the NG was better being there.

So in other word you are better off in Metaire.

Yes it is safer but being right next to New Orleans it does have a some what high crime rate. But is safer in general but also remeber that crime can happen ANYWHERE.

Off the topic here. I found this a little funny. My friend was watching TV late at night and this commercial came on saying: Attn all Metairie residents. But they where say Metairie as ME-TAR-EE.

About that, I wanted to make sure that I am saying the name of the city correctly. It is pronounced Met-a-rie, right? Also, thanks for your response.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 AM

19,866 posts, read 58,421,749 times
Yep, with a slight stress on the met

Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,632,621 times
Ya'll jostled my memory. My fav mispronunciation of Metairie was on some national commercial a ways back. They kept saying Met-AIR-ree.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 AM

14 posts, read 37,933 times
Metairie is WAY safer than New Orleans. A lot of Metairie didn't get ANY flooding from the hurricane. And,it's a lot more peaceful than New Orleans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans