U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 PM

212 posts, read 843,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiloulou View Post
Metairie is WAY safer than New Orleans. A lot of Metairie didn't get ANY flooding from the hurricane. And,it's a lot more peaceful than New Orleans!
Thank you. Do you know specific areas of Metairie that didn't flood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:18 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,428,652 times
There were published maps of flooded areas, just google it. Old Metiaire below Metairie Rd flooded in many areas but Old Metairie above Metairie Rd. did not (water came around the back fro Orleans Parish). A lot of Kenner flooded. Close to Veteran's Blvd mostly did not flood.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 AM

169 posts, read 626,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
Thank you. Do you know specific areas of Metairie that didn't flood?
I would still caution you if anyone thinks Metairie is "safe" from flooding. Most (if not all of that area) was previously swampland and is only protected if Lake Pontchartrain does not overtop. Considering a hurricane approaching from the West (say like Gustav) you are probably looking at a major surge into the Lake which means that it will likely go over the lake floodwalls. Also take into account that the area is very low and a major rain can (and will) cause local flooding or worse. Just be careful where you buy in Metairie to avoid the localized street flooding that will happen regularly and get the hell of of town when a hurricane is coming (a la Gustav). Please remember that much (all) of New Orleans and its metro area is NOT safe from hurricane surges, rainfall or winds. You really have to get much farther north of Lake Pontchartrain to be "flood safe" to any degree. I'd say north of the I-10 (or I-12 in Tangipahoa in some areas ) corridor is a decent bet.

From a former resident that is now high and dry in CO ( ) everyone please take precautions and stay safe.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,803,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
If they all four would be in the same public high school, I really don't know if I could suggest Metairie or the south for that matter. In a private high school it probably wouldn't be that big of an issue, since the kids are generally a little more respectful. They might get picked on some, though, since this is nearly unheard of around here.
Don't lump the South in there like that.

Those kids in the same school in Nashville, TN would be fine.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 AM

15 posts, read 48,280 times
What parts of Metairee are safest? What parts should be avoided? How do Metairee and Baton Rouge compare?

If one were to live in Metairee and commute to Baton Rouge, what would the commute be like?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM

195 posts, read 1,000,731 times
Yes, its safer than N. O- have a friend who lives there, she would know.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:45 PM

212 posts, read 843,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siscoe View Post
What parts of Metairee are safest? What parts should be avoided? How do Metairee and Baton Rouge compare?

If one were to live in Metairee and commute to Baton Rouge, what would the commute be like?
Commuting to Baton Rouge from Metairie everyday would be too far.
It would be 1 hour and 14 minutes each way, so that would mean you would be driving 2 1/2 hours back and forth everyday. By the way, if you are thinking of moving to Baton Rouge, I have heard that the southern part of the city is the safer part.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:49 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Don't lump the South in there like that.

Those kids in the same school in Nashville, TN would be fine.
Thank you for taking your own advice and speaking for an entire metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans