Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 AM

212 posts, read 901,239 times

Advertisements

Is Metairie safer than New Orleans for crime? Also, do they have a lot of flooding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,661 times
Metairie is way safer than New Orleans, but remember crime can happen anywhere. and some of my family lives in metairie and some flooded (bad) and others didnt

Old 06-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Thank you Dominic M. I already live in a city that can be very dangerous in certain areas, so it probably won't bother me that much. Is there a good police force in Metairie? Is it mostly the area close to Lake Pontchartrain that gets the most flooding?

Last edited by alligatorboy; 06-15-2008 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 AM

530 posts, read 2,624,624 times
The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office provides police protection for Metairie. Harahan and Kenner have their own police force. As evidenced yesterday, June 15, any area in New Orleans can flood if the rain is heavy enough.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I had friends who lived on West Esplanade between Causeway and Clearview. Every time it rained hard, water backed up out of the canal and into the street, then into the yard, then into the house on really bad days. A lot of intersections flood b/c they are lower for some reason than the streets in the blocks. One at Clifford DXr. and 17th St. always flooded in a good rain. When you drive into a flooded intersection, you don't know really how deep it is.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:33 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,698,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
Is Metairie safer than New Orleans for crime? Also, do they have a lot of flooding?
I'm a former resident of Jefferson Parish (Harahan) and I can tell you that Metairie is by far much safer then New Orleans. My aunt had a home about 2 blocks from Transcontinental Drive in Metairie. When Hurricane Katrina hit the area, she had several inches of water in her house. I believe the Harahan area is about the highest area (above sea level) in the New Orleans metropolitan area. I've heard that they had no flooding in Harahan during Hurricane Katrina.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM

Thank you so much for all of your responses.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,235 times
Default Longtime Resident

Don't just measure Metairie by its flooding. It is the safest of the New Orleans suburbs and only minutes from that great city. Metairie (like N.O.) is a bowl: highest near the river and the lake, lowest in the center. See any map. It has the finest stormwater drainage system in the country. But we get big storms, sometimes I can't see my hood! We have levees to protect us and they didn't break! The living is suburban. We are more populous than Baton Rouge and New Orleans post-K. The fastest growing economy in the state. The jobs and schools are good. Many non-government schools are available. The population is conservative. The sheriff is TOUGH on crime. The July's and August's are a humid burden, but ALL other months are GREAT. It is a FUN place, no party-poopers allowed. Great shopping, AAA baseball, many sports and parks for sports. Great fishing and water sports are close. Lots of diversity in race and religion. We think the reform in state government from Gov. Jindal is way overdue. And finally, some REALLY GREAT eating, and cheaper than in the city. Check us out.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:50 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonda View Post
Don't just measure Metairie by its flooding. It is the safest of the New Orleans suburbs and only minutes from that great city. Metairie (like N.O.) is a bowl: highest near the river and the lake, lowest in the center. See any map. It has the finest stormwater drainage system in the country. But we get big storms, sometimes I can't see my hood! We have levees to protect us and they didn't break! The living is suburban. We are more populous than Baton Rouge and New Orleans post-K. The fastest growing economy in the state. The jobs and schools are good. Many non-government schools are available. The population is conservative. The sheriff is TOUGH on crime. The July's and August's are a humid burden, but ALL other months are GREAT. It is a FUN place, no party-poopers allowed. Great shopping, AAA baseball, many sports and parks for sports. Great fishing and water sports are close. Lots of diversity in race and religion. We think the reform in state government from Gov. Jindal is way overdue. And finally, some REALLY GREAT eating, and cheaper than in the city. Check us out.
Maybe the safest affordable suburb, but I would be shocked to find out that Metairie was safer than a few of those elite Northshore communities.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 36,806 times
Default Where to live???

>> Lots of diversity in race and religion.

We are moving from Colorado and have four adopted kids, two of whom are Black. Is Metarie a good choice for us? I have been told the Jefferson Parish is not a good place for Blacks. Would my kids have a rough time there? How about the high schools? All four are in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans