U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 42,376 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my husband is transferring to New Orleans for the FBI. We are thinking Slidell is our best bet. I need as much info about the city as possible. I've heard above I-12 is the place to be...is this right? I've found several properties above I-12 next to I-11 in the $130k-$150k range. Does this seem like a good deal? We don't have kids, so the school issues aren't there. We are mainly concerned about finding a decent area with no crime. Also, any idea about typical home insurance rates? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:50 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,187,043 times
Even if you don't have kids, a good rule of thumb is that houses in good school districts sell better than houses in poor school districts - more buyers for them. Anything north of I-12 should be safe from flooding but you should check the FEMA maps and buy flood insurance (it's a national program and fairly cheap) anyway. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 AM

144 posts, read 720,311 times
Where will your husband be commuting to?

I mean... there are nice areas of Slidell, but over and above the Covington area is nicer if the commute is the same. Plenty of houses for sale above 12! And - in agreement w/ the above post, the schools there are v. good.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Alaska View Post
Where will your husband be commuting to?

I mean... there are nice areas of Slidell, but over and above the Covington area is nicer if the commute is the same. Plenty of houses for sale above 12! And - in agreement w/ the above post, the schools there are v. good.
Would be commuting to the far eastside of New Orleans. The commute isn't too big of an issue other than time...bureau will provide car and gas. Are all the areas above I-12 decent neighborhoods? Thanks for your replies.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM

144 posts, read 720,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb667 View Post
Would be commuting to the far eastside of New Orleans. The commute isn't too big of an issue other than time...bureau will provide car and gas. Are all the areas above I-12 decent neighborhoods? Thanks for your replies.
Slidell would be about 15-20 min closer then if you are going over the twinspans. While Covington area is a little nicer overall - less crime, more amenities, etc., I am certain you can find something great in Slidell, north of 12.

Have you been over yet to check it out? You will figure it out when you do.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:54 PM

4,605 posts, read 5,532,497 times
The FBI is over by UNO lakefront area so Slidell would be closer than Covington area. North of I12 is better area because of no flooding but neighborhoods very. Not sure which area off of Hwy 11 you are talking about but they definitely vary. Lots of on-line sites show pictures of the houses etc.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:02 PM

thanks for the responses. The area by HWY 11 that I was talking about consists of streets named Queens, King, Chess, you get the drift...haha. Prices range from $130k to $150k. All the pics look good online. I haven't been to the area, but am continuously hearing the same things...if you stay above I-12, you'll be ok with no flooding and no crime.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM

I looked up those street names and the entrance to that sub-division is off of Brownswitch Rd. That's a decent area although it is an older subdivision. I used to take my kids trick or treating in that area some years ago. There are some apartments near the entrance that have been redone since Katrina. It's fast access to the interstate and "downtown" Slidell is minutes away.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
I looked up those street names and the entrance to that sub-division is off of Brownswitch Rd. That's a decent area although it is an older subdivision. I used to take my kids trick or treating in that area some years ago. There are some apartments near the entrance that have been redone since Katrina. It's fast access to the interstate and "downtown" Slidell is minutes away.
We don't care too much about it being older...we like to fix up houses! Do you know if there are a lot of apartments in that area. We want to buy and prefer that the neighborhood be mostly homeowners. We live in a very decent neighborhood right now in AR (40's and 50's dollhouses) but we've seen a lot of renters come through and not take care of the houses.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 AM

The only apartments that I know of are on the main street before you go into the subdivision. I am not sure if there are many rentail houses though. Also the new St Tammany Police complex is being built a little ways down that main road so I would think that is a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans