U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2008, 11:51 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
258 posts, read 940,471 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

As an outsider who moved to NO I've seen a lot of things that lead me to believe that if the crime is controlled, the city will totally flourish.

People who came to fix it tell their friends and they come to visit and it does a number on them just as it did to us.

Mix that with the born and bred locals and thats a breeding ground for a new dense population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2008, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,003,031 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
As someone who has been through Hell and back over Katrina, has fought tooth and nail to rebuild and lives above sea level, I ask you to remember this lecture on your opinion of the dislocation of a group of heart sore, weary people who have been damaged by this storm when a disaster happens in your state.

The "let's not rebuild New Orleans/People who live below sea level have no common sense" lectures serve no purpose here except to upset those of us who have put our hearts and souls into rebuilding our homes and businesses.
One thing, too, that the armchair quarterbacks forget when they lecture us about New Orleans being below sea level is (1) New Orleans has been around for centuries, and (2) had the Corps done its job and taken care of its levees, Katrina would have been way less significant than it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Motown
323 posts, read 1,020,182 times
Reputation: 198
If the levees had been taken care of, flooding would not have been nearly as bad, therefore Katrina would have had less effects on NOLA.
And as for the argument about not living places where natural disasters could occur, I suggest you take a look at the geography of the United States. If you had your wish, everyone should move to Michigan and Wisconsin which have the lowest annual costs of natural disaster response than anywhere else. Let's move every one out of the plains states and Texas (tornadoes), the areas prone to flooding on the Mississippi and many other rivers (see what's going on in Illinois right now), everyone in California (earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires), everyone on the east coast (hurricanes), everyone in Florida (tornadoes, hurricanes) and the Gulf coast (hurricanes) and the mid South (tornadoes).
That would leave a nation with no major port cities. Use some intellect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
210 posts, read 1,079,067 times
Reputation: 166
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
As someone who has been through Hell and back over Katrina, has fought tooth and nail to rebuild and lives above sea level, I ask you to remember this lecture on your opinion of the dislocation of a group of heart sore, weary people who have been damaged by this storm when a disaster happens in your state.

The "let's not rebuild New Orleans/People who live below sea level have no common sense" lectures serve no purpose here except to upset those of us who have put our hearts and souls into rebuilding our homes and businesses.
Do people in New Orleans still need help rebuilding houses? because I would love to do habitat for humanity or something like that there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
1,357 posts, read 5,003,031 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Do people in New Orleans still need help rebuilding houses? because I would love to do habitat for humanity or something like that there
Absolutely. The sheer scope of the destruction is something many don't grasp until/unless they come to New Orleans. Even today, parts of Lakeview, New Orleans East, the lower 9th Ward, and the like are ghost towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Da Parish
1,127 posts, read 4,633,013 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Do people in New Orleans still need help rebuilding houses? because I would love to do habitat for humanity or something like that there
Habitat for Humanity is very active here, as I imagine they are in other places like those who were recently flooded out up north. IMO they are an excellent group to work with from what I've seen here. I've also been impressed with the work from AmeriCorps and various church groups.

I'd also like to mention the awsome ppl from Michigan State University who helped me gut Mom's house! It would have taken me 6 years to do her's alone. I won't even mention how long it took me to do mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,234 posts, read 14,466,119 times
Reputation: 25909
[quote=Miami305Kid;4346465]You can't just move the entire city of N.O into northern Louisiana. Also the city was founded in the 1600's people didn't have the science we have today otherwise you're right they prolly would have built it somewhere else. Also many people refused to leave city because they were poor and couldn't afforrd it or they were old people/disabled people who couldn't just leave everything they worked for in their life.[/quote

NOLA's first 200 years were built on higher ground. The lower 9th Ward, which should have been left alone as flood-plains, was added much much later.

I don't know what happened to all the money donated for Katrina relief (no one seems to know), but there was probably close to enough to help fund levees like those in Denmark/Holland (can't remember which it is). A very lost opportunity here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,811,172 times
Reputation: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
And the Hispanic laborers and entrepreneuers who came after the storm will likely stay
Are you referring to those who are legal, or illegal. I would assume many legal Hispanic workers would want to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 01:39 AM
 
9 posts, read 84,042 times
Reputation: 20
Default oh lordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
No, but just about every part of the US has some risk, be it tornadoes, earthquakes, forest fires, blizzards, and so forth. In New Orleans' case, the city has been around for hundreds of years. And the original development involved only building near the river (where the natural levee was). However, in the late 1800s, the city expanded inland and swamps were drained. So it's those "new" parts where you hear that NO is below sea level.
Brman-please don't tell that houses today could actually be sitting on swamps! Okay that freaks me out a little bit, but I agree with your post. If we move to La, yes I might deal with hurricanes but I will be leaving tornados right> hey do you guys get a lot of tornados like Arkansas does? I live on the New Madrid fault line too right now. There are always possiblities of natural disasters no matter where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 AM
 
9 posts, read 84,042 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
If the levees had been taken care of, flooding would not have been nearly as bad, therefore Katrina would have had less effects on NOLA.
And as for the argument about not living places where natural disasters could occur, I suggest you take a look at the geography of the United States. If you had your wish, everyone should move to Michigan and Wisconsin which have the lowest annual costs of natural disaster response than anywhere else. Let's move every one out of the plains states and Texas (tornadoes), the areas prone to flooding on the Mississippi and many other rivers (see what's going on in Illinois right now), everyone in California (earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires), everyone on the east coast (hurricanes), everyone in Florida (tornadoes, hurricanes) and the Gulf coast (hurricanes) and the mid South (tornadoes).
That would leave a nation with no major port cities. Use some intellect.
What are the Corps going to do about levees there now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top