Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

I had the pleasure of attending the Essense Music Festival in NO over the fourth of July weekend and continue to be impressed with how the City recieves this event and visitors into the City. Though I did not have the opportunity to venture outside of the French Quarter to some of the residential districts.. the downtown seemed to be moving forward in terms of revitalization and development. Had a great time.. Mother's was excellent.... lost money at Harrahs... hope to come back in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM

10 posts, read 25,049 times
Sorry for digging up an old thread.. but one of my best new orleans memories was getting swarmed by 5 security guards for trying to go into harrah's with my parents, I was only 12 though. I never did get to see that damn pirate ship.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
I was really impressed with NOLA

Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Just returned from Nawlins and another 4th of July/ Essence Weekend. Again the City showed true hospitality and I hope to continue to support the local economy in the area.

Visited a friend whose family lived in I guess what is considered the "upper" 9th Ward... and looked at some of the neighborhoods. Many of his family members shared various opinions about the rebuilding efforts. One example I thought was interesting was a hospital that was in this area, that was not going to reopen...in part because the large shift in population from the area...now apparently the response time for ambulances in this are has greatly increased since the nearest hospital was downtown or somewhere in that vicinity. THere were still many homes and stores boarded up and vacant..so though I imagine things are moving, though maybe slower than some would like... I hope the City continues to make progress and that my few hundred dollars in sales and accomodation taxes along with others provides a little towards that effort. I did hear while I was down there on the news that NO was the fastest growing "big" city in America?

Old 07-10-2009, 05:20 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
NOLA the best city in the South based on my travels

Old 07-10-2009, 08:04 AM

730 posts, read 2,253,634 times
I also owe NOLA a big thanks. I got married in Jackson Square in March 2009. The general public, resturaunt owners, bartenders, hotel staff, cab driver, carriage drivers, and even the courthouse staff (despite being overwhelmed) could not have been more gracious and welcoming. They made our wedding/ honeymoon more wonderful than I could have eve pictured it.

I know there are dark sides of NOLA- the crime, poverty, and the fact that parts of the city are dirty and ran down. But all of the things leave me even more MORE impressed that despite the city's challanges- there are some great souls there!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Y'all are making me jealous, but I'm glad you love NOLA. Every city has it's dark side, and NOLA doesn't do too badly, all things considered.
Only a few months until I'm back there too!

Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I also owe NOLA a big thanks. I got married in Jackson Square in March 2009. The general public, resturaunt owners, bartenders, hotel staff, cab driver, carriage drivers, and even the courthouse staff (despite being overwhelmed) could not have been more gracious and welcoming. They made our wedding/ honeymoon more wonderful than I could have eve pictured it.

I know there are dark sides of NOLA- the crime, poverty, and the fact that parts of the city are dirty and ran down. But all of the things leave me even more MORE impressed that despite the city's challanges- there are some great souls there!
I proposed to my wife at the Steamer monument overlooking Jackson Square and the Mississippi River. We also spent a day there on our honeymoon before flying to the the Bahamas. NOLA - truly a remarkable place.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:34 PM

18 posts, read 62,231 times
I agree with so much of what is written in this thread. I'm originally from the east coast but went to Tulane in the early 1990s and everwhere I went after graduation always felt 2nd best in comparison. My husband and I just returned from a week of vacation in New Olreans (last week in June) and I have never felt such a pull to a city in my entire life. I practically cried while running around Audubon Park every day. I mean, the water in the water fountains even tastes better and doesn't even smell compared to the way it did in the 1990s. When did this happen? The po'boys on Magazine, the beautiful homes in the Garden District and on the Avenue, the energy of the French Quarter, running through the M.Triange in the mornings, watching the hubby play golf at TPC Louisiana and at Audubon and not freezing his ass off (we live in the miserable, frozen midwest now)... To anyone who lives in NOLA and is reading this right now -- I truly envy you. I truly do. We have lived in 6 of the 15 largest cities in the U.S. but I just wish I could land a job in NOLA. The closest I can get is BR. Yes, NOLA is truly a remarkable place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: