U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 AM

18 posts, read 69,497 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can anybody tell me about living in Destrehan and/or St. Rose? Crime, flooding, schools, etc. -- are they OK places to raise a family? I am considering moving back to the NO area to take a job at Ochsner. Can't afford Metairie, Harahan or River Ridge but would still like to stay within a reasonable drive of Ochsner. Also need a quieter, more family-friendly neighborhood since I have a 2-year-old.

Thanks for your help!

L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,320 times
Hello, Lulu I've lived in both places and you can't find abeter place to raise your children. The school system in St. Charles Parish is no. 1
We raised 4 boys there and I thank God for there low tolerence for bad behavior. Yes your choice would be a good one.

Min2shipbuilders

Old 08-30-2010, 12:21 AM

2,192 posts, read 6,414,201 times
I have to second what min2shipbuilders said.

I lived in St Rose for a few years and now live in Destrehan, Ormond Plantation Estates.

The schools are great, some of the best in the state. Bar None in St Rose dose not flood same as the newer neighborhoods. Most of the older neighborhoods do flood from about the middle to the rail road tracts.

Parts of Ormond flood so you have to watch where you purchase. In fact Ormond Blvd flooded today, about 12" deep. Try and stay away from the rail road tracts but remember you are living in the middle of the swamp so almost all of this area can flood, has flooded or will flood at some point in time.

Also the neighborhoods across the river along River Rd don't flood. A good Realtor should be able to show you neighborhoods that are good and that don't have flooding problems.

My flood insurance runs about 1K a year but one block south up the street from me would cost in the low hundreds and one block north up the street cost several thousand more per year.

busta

Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 AM

268 posts, read 664,760 times
I know this is too late to help you, I think? But as stated SOME of the roads on
what is known as the East Bank, St. Rose, Destrehan etc, can flood, but the actual
homes are on pretty high ground. Across the river in Luling and Hahnville are pretty dry.
This is the natural levee from when the river used to flood every year(old-times), the high ground is
all along the river. There is also pretty good pumping there, as the parish is usually in pretty
good financial condition, so things stay fixed. THE BEST place to raise kids in the area.
Sure, get flood insurance, but depending on where you buy, you will be really good on flooding.
I would look around at old homes in Hahnville on Oak, Pine, in that area. These homes were built
after the war with beautiful cypress under-carriage and excellent walls by "Mr. Pup-Pup." He built
the sturdiest homes in the area. (that's ALMOST poop-poop, but halfway between a short and
long U) He built my families home, and it was freaking awesome. Simple, but awesome. Hurricane
after hurricane, no damage. And termites don't like Cypress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or