U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 10:01 PM

102 posts, read 328,545 times

Advertisements

Are there a lot of jobs available in Harahan, or would it be easier to find a job in Metairie or New Orleans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 22,413 times
It depends on what kind of job you are looking to find.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 PM

102 posts, read 328,545 times
I heard that Harahan is a lot safer than New Orleans when it comes to hurricanes. Would it be safe to stay behind in Harahan during a hurricane, or would it be better to leave? When a hurricane hits, does everyone make it out in time, or do some people get stuck while driving or are being transported to safety?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,391,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfish View Post
I heard that Harahan is a lot safer than New Orleans when it comes to hurricanes. Would it be safe to stay behind in Harahan during a hurricane, or would it be better to leave? When a hurricane hits, does everyone make it out in time, or do some people get stuck while driving or are being transported to safety?
NO.. Harahan is no safer than NOLA when it comes to hurricanes. Harahan is basically right next door and inside the same levee system as N.O. and faces the same wind/flood risks. People who leave before or when they or told make it out.. those left are those who chose to stay or waited too late. Take Gustav for example: 2 million moved out in 2 days

Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,421,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfish View Post
You leave if you want to live - can't tell where the next one will hit or what the damage will be. People don't just die by drowning, they die by trees falling on their houses, they die b/c they don't have clean water or medicine after the storm, etc.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,203,376 times
I lived in Harahan from 1962 to 1976. When Hurricane Betsy hit the New Orleans area in 1965, there was no flooding in Harahan, but there was wind damage. I've heard that when Hurricane Katrina hit the area, Harahan again did not flood. The Harahan area is a little higher in elevation than most of the New Orleans area, but not by much. Harahan is adjacent to the Mississippi River. If the Mississippi River levee breaks when the river is high, Harahan will likely flood. If you move to Harahan, I would also advise you to evacuate to a safer area if a hurricane of category 2 or better hits the area.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,317 times
Default Come on now, there's danger all over the country

I've always felt safe in Harahan as far as property a =s the wind and trees are concerned. Of course, we evacuate for a 2 or 3, buy Harahan is on a ridge and higher than adjacent areas. Of course, I've never really given much thought of our levee breaking. I can say the water will very seldom get so high between the levee and the river that people kayak behind the levee. We were very concerned last time the river got high because we waited hours for our friends to come home from a supposed 30 minute tip. Check the elevation level and you'll see the grade we're on. It's good but people are building to the new higher standard which leaves us grandfather'ed in. We still evacuate because of the horrible memories of Katria. As far as gettng s job the it's sanme or better than the rest of the country. Yes, we're still wounded, but we will recover as usual. We should have our fair share of royalties from offshore drilling. Yes, a decision was made along time ago, but did we know that the size of one football field per hour or day is disappearing from our wetlands. If the country doesn't want $10 per gallon in the future, the gulf coast had better be restored.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 12,467 times
It depends on what type of job you are looking for. Harahan has a lot of businesses.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,421,749 times
The last time I was in Harahan, and tradiitonally, it didn't have big offices like downtown or the Metairie commerical area along Causeway. It's a bunch of small offices, repair shoips, stores, etc.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,549 times
looking to move from houston to harahan what should i expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans