U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:43 PM

11 posts, read 41,198 times

Advertisements

haha wow, I really messed that question up.

If I signed up with the Marine Reserves and then applied?
Or
Get the police job (if offered) and then sign up for the reserves? or would that be a good way of getting fired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 PM

212 posts, read 519,204 times
get the police job first. but being a marine will help you get hired quicker. you must be real gun ho to wanna work with them??

Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 AM

Why do you say that lol, a lot of my friends have said the same thing about me, being gun ho.... its more about how fast I'll learn things, and the units they have that I want to join (gang unit, violent crime task force and vice)

Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,583,169 times
Honestly, if you want to build a career in law enforcement, you're better-off joining up with a reputable department to begin with, and moving forward from there. If you join a department known to be plagued by scandal, it can cast a pall over your resume when you want to transfer out to other departments or agencies. Especially if you get even marginally tied to any kind of wrongdoing, even through no specific fault of your own.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,631,849 times
Oops, I must have missed that Aug. 3rd post! Hubby, like Desol, also recommends getting the PD job before joining the reserves.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 AM

8 posts, read 23,133 times
Talking Questions about NOPD...

While in training at the academy, do you live on like a base or do you have to find your own living arrangements?
Also, after you are done with academy training, do you have to live in certain towns/neighborhoods?
If so, do any places offer NOPD discounts?
I've been trying to find these answers online and haven't been able to, wondering if anyone else could help me out.

Thanks to all!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 PM

159 posts, read 516,163 times
I found some info about the academy, by clicking on the faqs section.. that says you must live within 50 miles of Orleans Parish.
As for neighborhoods I wouldn't even have a clue.

There are some other questions asked in the faqs area that you may wish to check out.
www.joinnopd.com/

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:12 PM

59 posts, read 151,988 times
if you're a good guy and not a crazy gun waving lunatic like some reported on the news lately then please sign up. we could use a batman.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 PM

212 posts, read 519,204 times
well i was a firemen in new orleans 2 yrs ago and we trained at the same place as a policemen. you will have to find your own place to stay, some apartments do have police discounts. just remember you are joining a department that 99% of the citizens hate so good luck, being a hero where's thin when you arrest sombody and they are out before you blink twice.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:10 PM

I've talked to several officers that after 2 years have switched departments, without any problems whats so ever.

I'm still looking at San Diego and Dallas too
Have an application to City of Madison (WI) on my desk

thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans