U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM

11 posts, read 41,203 times

Advertisements

I am in search of any information I can get about the New Orleans Police Department.

I have 1 semester left of college from Herzing College out of Madison, Wi, with my Bachelors in Homeland Security and Public Safety, and I am looking at moving out of state to get away from the harsh winters of Wisconsin.

If anyone can provide me with any information from how hard it is to get in, to the different units (gang, terrorism, homicide, K9....) any information would be
great!!

Thank You

Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 04:36 AM

19 posts, read 88,724 times
Be careful, my friend. Too, too many good and straight cops have turned crooked within a matter of years of working within the N.O.P.D.

As far as I know, you must be 21 and have sparkling record. If I'm not mistaken, the pay is $30,000 and then increases to $40,000 after some time.

But seriously, from one good person to the next, PLEASE know and fully understand what you're getting into. I'm ashamed to say that the N.O.P.D. has a long and outstanding history of corruption. There are good cops in New Orleans, BUT let it be known that it is well-know here that it's only a matter of time before everyone turns. Now, I don't necessarily believe that, but I just hate to see otherwise good people be "polluted" by New Orleans' corruption.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:28 AM

44 posts, read 184,048 times
I havent been here long enough to know about the nature of the police work as it pertains to this city, but I do know they are experiencing a shortage! It is so much so to the point that there are recruiting commercials on both radio and TV. There are still military police here, the shortage is so bad. So I doubt it would be difficult for you to get in, provided you met all of the requirements. It's not like my hometown, Chicago, where there is a two year waiting list.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,632,621 times
Hello Brandon. Here is the NOPD website where you can find info, phone numbers, etc. New Orleans Police Department : NOPD Home Page (http://www.cityofno.com/Portals/Portal50/portal.aspx - broken link).

NOPD does not have a stellar reputation, however, like all work places you have the good, the bad, and the ugly. Hubby works for a local sheriff's department and has worked with people who were NOPD and found them to be like any other law enforcement he's come across professionally, no better, no worse. Be aware that most local non-NOPD law enforcement personnel, (based on what Hubby says), aren't interested in joining the NOPD because of the dangers associated with the job. With a college degree, they most likely will scoop you up and do a *** of happiness to boot.

Hubby recommends that if you are just starting your career to begin with another department with a better reputation that has it's act together. Then if you still want to wear the Star and Crescent join up further down the line. He also wanted me to stress that this is a city where, "the Cripts and Bloods won't set up shop because it's too dangerous." Best of luck what ever you decide

Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 PM

258 posts, read 940,353 times
You can pretty much dance into a position with the NOLA cops.

They're hiring like whoa.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:05 PM

So but you still have to do well on the test to get in with the department (NOPD) are they pretty lenient on the tests? I know some big cities that need help are, and is the academy hard ?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM

Hubby says they're lenient, (well according to a co-worker that's former NOPD anyways), that they are hurting so badly for manpower that they will make sure you pass. He doesn't know anything about the their academy, (he didn't go there),however. He also advises that now is probably going to be the easiest time to get in because once the numbers, (of officers), go up they can afford to become picky.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM

I really appreciate all the help you have given me...

I am looking into the Marine Corps too, so I am having a really tough time. I would like to do the Marine Corps.....

Does your hubby know if I should apply with the NOPD, then go and sign up with the police department?

I'm stuck at that decision right now ha

Thanks Again

Brandon

Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 PM

63 posts, read 179,231 times
here's my .02 cents, I'm an LEO who's here in New Orleans on vacation and I have had a chance to speak to some of NOPD, seems like they are hurting for more officers and they are recruiting heavily, pay has been raised to around 40k with a college degree, you'll surely get some good experience here, lot of dope and guns, not really the gang experience you could get in Los Angeles where I work, but seems a bit more crazy out here, the poverty seems worse here than in L.A..... also look at Memphis P.D. good luck...

Old 08-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Does your hubby know if I should apply with the NOPD, then go and sign up with the police department?
We're not sure what you mean here, do you mean apply with NOPD and then sign up with the Marine Corps, (like the reserves)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans