U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,978 times

Advertisements

I lived in port Sulphur until Nov. 1976. There was one small grocery store,one movie theater that showed movies only on Tuesday nights, I think, one bar, one laudro - mat & one gas station. Since then I have wanted to go back & visit. I guess all the houses are gone now due to Katrina. I lived right across the street from the bar & next door to Taylor's garage. Does anyone know if the 2 story hoouse is still there. My son was 6 months old when we moved back to Ky. I just want to know of the area to tell him now of it. Does anyone remember the name of the refinery there? I know my brother was told that the guy who he worked for {Ray Gibbons I think that was his name} owned most of the town. I really would appreciate anything that anyone might remember on this "Perfect friendly little town" Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,811 times
Here in Baton Rouge I have an orange tree that has produced fruit most years. At my old house in Magnolia Woods I had a banana tree that produced full grown fruit exactly three times in the thirty years I lived there.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 PM

117 posts, read 223,949 times
Since Katrina, I have seen a burst of palm trees appearing all over. I think the same thing is happening in houston. Problem is, new orleans weather is harsh. It's either scorching hot or freezing balls. Alot of palm trees look ****ed up now.

I don't think New Orleans has the climate for it. It's sub-tropical, but not really TROPICAL.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 PM

117 posts, read 223,949 times
As far is 'orange trees' I live on the westbank of new orleans and have an orange tree in my front yard. It produces every year. more than I can eat to too.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,392,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
Since Katrina, I have seen a burst of palm trees appearing all over. I think the same thing is happening in houston. Problem is, new orleans weather is harsh. It's either scorching hot or freezing balls. Alot of palm trees look ****ed up now.

I don't think New Orleans has the climate for it. It's sub-tropical, but not really TROPICAL.
I've actually noticed less since Katrina. The reason they look messed up is because of this extremely cold winter we just had.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:42 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,712,460 times
I was down in Cameron Parish this week and saw plenty of palm trees down there

Old 07-22-2010, 01:56 PM

268 posts, read 664,760 times
Canal street used to be LINED with them all the way down.

As for Citrus, we used to have two MASSIVE satsuma trees in our
backyard, with fruit the size of a large navel orange. But the easy
peel of a satusma. And the sweetness, oh man. People really got
excited when we would drop a Schwegmann's bag of fruit off at their
house. I bet we would pick 40 bags of fruit a year, the tall brown
grocery sacks. Get home from school on a hot day to a fridge cold
piece of juicy citrus.......OHHHhhhhh...........mm.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 PM

152 posts, read 438,734 times
there are palms all over NO and ive seen plenty of citrus grown. neighbor to me in my childhood home had a citrus tree and it grew oranges or something about the size of volleyballs

Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 11,287 times
In Louisiana we have lots of "Canary Island" palms. These are found throughout South Louisiana. I was told by a professor from Tulane University that these palms arrived in Louisiana in the 1780s when Isleños from the Canary Islands left there homes for Louisiana, prompted by the Spanish government to settle in St. Bernard Parish, around Barataria in lower Jefferson Parish, Valenzuela along Bayou Lafourche in Ascension/Assumption Parish between present day Donaldsonville & Paincourtville and also at Galveztown in East Ascension Parish. The Galveztown & Barataria Isleño settlements didn't last but Valenzuela and especially St. Bernard thrived. It is believed these people brought these magnificient palms to us nearly 230 years ago.

Phoenix canariensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,537,915 times
Date Palms, Canary Island Palms, Cabbage Palmettos Mexican Fan Palms, Butia Palms and Queen Palms...seen them all there. Also saw bird-of-paradise, bananas and Giant White Bird-of-Paradise there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans