Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times

Advertisements

I have to comment on how impressed and proud I was at how the whole emergency evacuation was handled this time. Your governor learned well from his predecesor's mistakes, and your Mayor learned from his own as well. The citizens took charge of their safety and did what they were supposed to do. I'm sure that this scare was probably even more painful, but to the rest of us we could see how a city came together in growth from the first catastophe.

I can't wait to go back there next spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 PM

59 posts, read 166,346 times
well it could have been really bad but thankfully gustav weakened before hitting land.

so everybody say "whew!" with me!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamkaren View Post
well it could have been really bad but thankfully gustav weakened before hitting land.

so everybody say "whew!" with me!
Sunday night I was watching the hurricane on a storm-tracker online, and I told my husband that I thought it was going to head straight to Houma instead. I'm glad it detoured, and also glad that it weakened before it hit Houma.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 PM

212 posts, read 898,310 times
I'm so relieved that Gustav weakened before it came to Louisiana. I'm also glad to see that Ray Nagin was more forceful in insisting that everyone left the area.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:09 PM

24,334 posts, read 22,881,617 times
This went extremely well. The people did what they had to, the mayor did what he had to do, state officials did what they had to and Fema/government officials did what they had to. Everybody was ready and not caught with their pants down like with katrina. The levees were strenghtened and held, although they may never be able to withstand a category 4 or hurricane that parks itself and dumps 2 or 3 feet of rain over the area. And there's no way they can be, the city will always be vulnerable and people have to be ready to leave and let the city take its chances.
All in all, this went well. The storm was nowhere near as bad as feared and stayed far enough away to minimize damage.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 AM

485 posts, read 1,834,426 times
Default Getting back to town is the challenge

Everything looks good in theory but if you are sitting in a shelter in another city waiting for the bus back, you may have a different opinion. The bus back is coming on Friday, maybe. In the mean time I have to go without sleep and sourounded by trash, BO and crazy people.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,206,535 times
Refugee, with all due respect - what's the gripe? That you're uncomfortable? You could be drowned. I can only assume that you can see the pictures of NO on your laptop...there's still problems there. My hat is off to the powers that be for removing so many people safely. The total damage hasn't been uncovered yet.

I'm sure you're having a hard time - I don't mean to be disrespectful - but if you are in Little Rock you are experiencing only a small portion of what went on in your beloved state....hang tight and be grateful you have something to return to and you're in one piece.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,286,595 times
Refugee, did you take your laptop with you or do they provide you with internet service at the shelter?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM

485 posts, read 1,834,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Refugee, did you take your laptop with you or do they provide you with internet service at the shelter?

I spent the majority of my time at a local Little Rock Library with Internet Access. An old friend of mine has picked me up and I have been living at his house for a time now while we wait for power to come back on at home.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,279,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Refugee, with all due respect - what's the gripe? That you're uncomfortable? You could be drowned. I can only assume that you can see the pictures of NO on your laptop...there's still problems there. My hat is off to the powers that be for removing so many people safely. The total damage hasn't been uncovered yet.

I'm sure you're having a hard time - I don't mean to be disrespectful - but if you are in Little Rock you are experiencing only a small portion of what went on in your beloved state....hang tight and be grateful you have something to return to and you're in one piece.
Well said..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans