U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 AM

328 posts, read 1,287,561 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be visiting my Ex over Labor Day Weekend in New Orleans. I am coming specifically to attend Southern Decadence in the French Quarter, but I am looking for some suggestions on great "sights to see" for someone who has never been to Louisiana or New Orleans.

Here is the background:
I will be in New Orleans from Friday, August 29th to Sunday, September 1st. I will be staying with him in the French Quarter at a hotel (not sure which one, but he booked a room because he is staying with family in the Garden District while he attends Graduate School there.

I am looking for things that you think someone who has never been to your great state would love to do while visiting for the weekend. I am really looking to only do things in the city, so even though I know there are probably great things to see outside of the city, we will not have time to travel to see them.

I am a single male and there will be no children (obviously, I am coming for a huge party weekend), so there is no need for "family friendly entertainment." I currently live in Chicago, so shopping is not really a big deal for me.

I love the city feeling, boutique-y restaurants, things that are unique to living in New Orleans/Louisana (I'm a Michigan Native and have rarely ventured South, except to Florida). Are there any great statues, parks, outdoor exhibits to see? Any streets/shops/restaurants you highly recommend?

Thanks for all of your assistance in advance. I am really looking forward to visiting soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,633,013 times
With such a short stay along with visiting your ex and doing the Southern Decadence on top of all that you may find yourself stressed trying to do everything you'd like. I would recommend a short bus tour that would take you around the city. An alternative would be the streetcar ride through the Garden District and/or up Canal Street to see the Cemeteries and then lunch at Mandina's. We love to take ghost tours when we visit other cities and of course we have them here. There are lots of art galleries, antique shops, and museums in the Quarter that would keep you busy. The National D-Day Museum (Wearhouse District) and New Orleans Museum of Art (in City Park) are further out, but good to visit. Chris Owens on Bourbon is always a good staple as well. Aug. 29th will be the 3rd aniversary of Katrina so there will be memorials going on through out the city if you're interested in attending any one of them. Hope this helps a bit and have a wonderful time on your trip!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,811 times
You could get a tour of St. Louis Cemetery #1. Breakfast at cafe du monde. Check out Jackson Square and the Cathedral. There's also the Aquarium of the Americas which is pretty cool. Window shopping on Royal Street. The French Market is near the old U.S. mint.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 AM

328 posts, read 1,287,561 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I really appreciate it! If you ever want advice on where to go in Chicago, let me know, LOL!

Thanks again, I will keep checking here and follow-up with any questions I have.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 AM

144 posts, read 700,892 times
Walking tours of the French Quarter are AWESOME. They really give you a historical perspective of 'why it is the way it is' - and the guide will point out all of the sites.

I think it's a great way for a newcomer to be introduced to the city. And you can go just for a short one of a long one.

Have a wonderful time!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,388 times
Default Paranormal Suggestions for NOLA

If you're interested in the paranormal, there are tons of ghost tours and there's GHOST EXPEDITIONS (created 1993 and implemented 1994) as well as the new PSYCHIC BOOT CAMP. Both are offered from the PARAPLEX Annex in the French Quarter, located at 718 Orleans, behind the St. Louis Cathedral. The PARAPLEX Annex also has on display (free admission when the doors are open) many items from the larger PARAPLEX exhibits, until the PARAPLEX re-opens soon, at a new location closer to the French Quarter.

Hope it helps and have a great time in New Orleans!

http://www.neworleans.com/images/stories/paraplex/annexbanner96.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 14,388 times
Default Paranormal Suggestions for NOLA

http://www.neworleans.com/images/stories/paraplex/annexbanner96.jpg (broken link)If you're interested in the paranormal, there are tons of ghost tours and there's GHOST EXPEDITIONS (created 1993 and implemented 1994) as well as the new PSYCHIC BOOT CAMP. Both are offered from the PARAPLEX Annex in the French Quarter, located at 718 Orleans, behind the St. Louis Cathedral. The PARAPLEX Annex also has on display (free admission when the doors are open) many items from the larger PARAPLEX exhibits, until the PARAPLEX re-opens soon, at a new location closer to the French Quarter.

Hope it helps and have a great time in New Orleans!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM

49 posts, read 189,004 times
May I give you an early Welcum to New Orleans & Louisiana.

There are to many thing to do is such a short amount of time, I won't suggest doing anything outside of the City. Trust me the going-on for Southern Decadence will sure keep you busy or you will be totally shocked at what goes on (LOL). Since you'll only be here for a short time there will be plenty to do in the Quarter, also check out Frenchman street (were the locals go live local bands play at most of those clubs) its within walking distance just outside of the quarter in the Marginy Neighborhood. Also stroll the French Market, Royal St., You may also want to check out Magizine street lots of specialy boutiques and Resturants. If you want a private tour guide Ill be the one Running naked down Burbon Street "Just Joking" LOL. If you want more inside information of the goings on for Southern Decadence I can PM you with more information depending on what your interest are.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:31 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,428,652 times
This was posted last year! I am sure the OP has come and gone by now.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 AM

49 posts, read 189,004 times
Oops

City Data needs to relocate the post date to make it clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans