Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,251 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to attend NOBTS which is on Gentilly. While the seminary has student housing, they do not allow pets and our children are attached to our dog. We will need a 2/3 br house with fenced in yard. Also, I am a certified elementary teacher (K-8) with a middle school science speciality. What are my chances of getting a teaching job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 05:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I suspect most are like me, have no clue to help you. Look on Craigslist for New Orleans. I think a teacher could get a job easily but where may be the question.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrineruth View Post
We will be moving to attend NOBTS which is on Gentilly. While the seminary has student housing, they do not allow pets and our children are attached to our dog. We will need a 2/3 br house with fenced in yard. Also, I am a certified elementary teacher (K-8) with a middle school science speciality. What are my chances of getting a teaching job?
grew up near the NO BTS. The area is coming back slowly but I think it is coming back! Some folks have accomplished excellent renovations and people are returning.You should have no problem landing a job with yourqualifications. go to nola.com to get a feel for the town. My wife and I spent the first two weeks of Nov there, we loved it.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,443 times
grew up near the NO BTS. The area is coming back slowly but I think it is coming back! Some folks have accomplished excellent renovations and people are returning.You should have no problem landing a job with yourqualifications. go to nola.com to get a feel for the town. My wife and I spent the first two weeks of Nov there, we loved it. Today 05:29 PM

Old 12-10-2008, 08:37 AM

26 posts, read 169,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrineruth View Post
My sons went to elementary school with several friends who were living on the Seminary grounds while their father was attending. My boys also took swimming lessons there. I also played basketball there years ago when I was a teenaged Catholic "ringer" masquerading as a Baptist to play in their church league, but that's another story...LOL.

Are you looking to buy, or to rent? If you're looking to buy, there is a house that might just be exactly what you're looking for in my block in Gentilly Terrace, actually...nicely remodeled after the storm. The house is actully pretty big for the neighborhood, which has mostly smaller homes. It says four bedroom, but I think one is pretty small and would really work pretty well as a "study" for the Seminary student in the family. We're about a mile to a mile and a half from NOBTS, right down Gentilly Blvd. and then about four blocks off Gentilly. I'll add a link to the listing...and keep in mind that they've had a "New Price" added to the For Sale sign on the lawn for some months now, so there may be a lot of haggle room. There are a couple of rentals in our block as well, but they're not nearly as nice as this home. Unfortunately, we also have several houses in the block still sitting in the "gutted" condition since the storm, but you'll have that just about everywhere in Gentilly right now.

As for the hunt for a teaching job...I don't think you'd have any problem finding one in the new post-Katrina New Orleans public school world. Most of the schools are now charters, so they individually have the ability to hire and fire their own faculty members. Gentilly Terrace Elementary in our neighborhood is actually run as a charter by the University of New Orleans, and all of the administration and faculty are hired for the school as employees of the University.

Good Luck!!

Gentilly Terrace (http://neworleans.craigslist.org/reo/938763555.html - broken link)
Fabulous remodel, 2400 square feet; 4 bdrm; 2 bath. Granite, stainless, premium hardwood, energy effecient, newly landscaped. Lovely archetectural detail in tact; custom refinished. Near UNO, Dillard, Brother Martin, Holy Cross. Priced to sell. Must see.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:12 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,283,689 times
Frankly, we need to rent. I'm not sure we will have enough down money to buy after re-location expenses and tuition.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Frankly, we need to rent. I'm not sure we will have enough down money to buy after re-location expenses and tuition.
Funny how coincidences work out...just yesterday my wife and I noticed that the house just catty-corner across the intersection from us had placed both "For Rent" and "For Lease" signs on the front lawn. I intended on coming in this morning to post this for you, as this house is a lot nicer than the rentals further down the street and definately has the fenced yard you were looking for. Prior to Katrina the house was occupied by first a UNO professor and then a UNO student. Unfortunately I realized on the way in to work this morning I hadn't copied a phone number (if there was one on the signs) or even the address down, so I'll have to check those this evening if you're interested. And I have no idea what they're asking in rent.

It's the last house on the odd-address side of the 47/4800 block of Mandeville street (corner of Mandeville and Mirabeau streets--I think it might be 4879; the long block is split between 4700 and 4800 numbers), if you want to Google map it to see how far from the Seminary it is. Actually, the street is in the Google Street View, so you can even take a look at it that way if you want. That feature is great for folks who are considering a neighborhood. Keep in mind that the Google satellite view and the Google Street views were both done at least a year ago. They show the neighborhood before the past year's worth of Katrina-fixup. For example, the satellite view still shows the FEMA trailer in my front yard, which was removed around Thanksgiving 2007.

Good luck again.

Last edited by Puddinhead; 12-22-2008 at 06:59 AM..

Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,283,689 times
Thanks the number would be of great help. I read your first post with laughter. I once was a presbyterian impersonating a baptist to be on the team. Then I became a christian and the other became moot. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:22 PM

I thought it was only us Catholics who pulled stunts like that-now I'm all disillusioned about Presbyterians. LOL

I don't know if this is going to work or not...I've tried pasting the web address for the Google Street View of the house in question. I've also got the actual street address, the leasing agency, and a phone number for you. Remember that the Google views are old, and show (for example) FEMA trailers and piles of construction debris that are no longer there (like in front of my house..)

The address of the property is 4775 Mandeville St. Oddly enough, if you just enter that address into Google maps it takes you to a house midway down the block rather than the correct house on the corner. As I said, the house is on the corner of Mandeville and Mirabeau, catty-corner from my own house. Definately a fenced in yard for the dog. Not sure of the number of bedrooms, if it's 3 or 2. The leasing agency is Gentilly Ridge Investment Corp., phone number 504-858-2251. I notice that the sign says that they have other properties listed in the area, but I'm not easily finding a website for Gentilly Ridge to see if listings are posted.

On the school teaching job front, I may have a suggestion there as well. I know that Holy Cross School, which is the school my oldest son graduated from last year and at which my younger son is a sophmore (and which I graduated from many years ago...LOL) has had the enrollment go up by 20% for next school year, and I know they were interviewing at least one new teacher applicant just a couple of days ago. The school is 5-12 grades, and is separated into a 5-8 Middle School and a 9-12 High School on the same campus. The classes have been held since Katrina in a complex of temporary classrooms at the school's new Gentilly campus, where they relocated after their Ninth Ward campus was flooded out. The new classroom buildings and Administration building and physical plant buildings are under construction on the site. You might want to try calling to explore possibilities; I know the bulk of the new students are middle schoolers. The phone number is 504-942-3100. Website is HOLY CROSS SCHOOL. Don't worry about it being a Catholic school...it's a private school, not an Archdiocese school, so there isn't a church heirarchy to deal with.

Good luck.

Don't click this link...cut an paste it into a browser. that might work.

<iframe width="350" height="197" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=1..."></iframe><br /><small><a id="cbembedlink" href="Google Maps" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans