U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering relocating to New Orleans, seeking information on New Orleans acceptance of transplants, family centered community, single oriented community, post Katrina population

Old 08-28-2008, 02:33 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,610,467 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am condidering job relocation to the NOLA area. I’ve done my homework on post-Katrina New Orleans and I have the logistics side of things pretty much worked out, but I would like to know about the stuff you don’t see in stats - the people.

Now I know there are all kinds of people everywhere you go but it’s also true that places shapes the way people interact with each other, and that’s what I would like to know: what makes them tick, do they fit in the Southern stereotype, are they introverted or extroverted, “agressive” or “passive aggressive”, individualistic or community-oriented, are they family-centered or is it a city for singles, work-oriented or fun-oriented (I think I can work out that one), liberal or conservative, are they religious, what are the differences across the class and race spectrum, what are they like compared to people from other places. You all know what I mean, I'd like ot get the inside scoop.

I would appreciate your feedback whether you are a native or an outsider who lives/has lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 AM

23 posts, read 107,581 times
Hi,

Just stumbled across your post. I am married to a native NO, and we visit family there several times a year, but do not live there. I am a Birmingham, Alabama girl. DH grew up in a working class/middle class home. Went to school in the city of NO from kids from all around the area. Off the top of my head: They are somewhat southern in terms of food and hospitality. The 'true' NO accent is very close to some Northern accents and it took me years to learn to hear the difference-- if I have at all. In my area many people discuss God and church as often as other people discuss the weather, this is not so in NO. DH says there were plenty of religious people (mostly Catholic), but it was a personal topic and usu not up for casual discussion. The people are friendly and I haven't met anyone who didn't love a good time. Pre-Katrina, DH always felt like NO was a small city with a big city attitude. There are of course many cultural avenues and I'm sure many communities where that is more of a focus than the community DH grew up in (Gretna, just across the bridge) Unfortunately for him, he felt that he ran up against an Us against Them attitude when it came to people who strove for education for the sake of knowledge and expanding your horizons vs. education as a means to an end. People in his family seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about wealthier and more broadly educated people. It is the observation of many friends who are also former NO, that this attitude and the lack of opportunities to grow in your career that many leave NO for college, and don't return. Brain Drain. That being said, I would also argue that I have observed a great willingness to laugh at themselves... or maybe I'm trying to say they don't seem to take themselves too seriously for the most part. They see their city as being unique and they love it warts and all. I love it too.

The city is supportive of the Saints, and they seem to have a good time laughing/crying with them.

Last edited by 1size2smll; 08-28-2008 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-28-2008, 12:07 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,464,621 times
I've no idea at all about the political climate there, but I've been there a couple of times and we found the average "N'awlins'" people to be quite friendly. And happy! Despite the poverty and the extreme economic divisions, they are still among the happiest people around, and it's contagious. I'm alway in a good mood when I'm there, and it's very fun.

You really should spend a couple of weeks there first to make sure that the atmosphere is right for you. I love it immensely, but could never live there.

But there is ONE thing. . . .

You didn't state where you are from. If you currently live in a fast-paced area like NYC, you had better brace yourself for a radical change! Because it is extremely laid back, and the people of New Orleans move at their own pace. . . s-l-o-w. Not "refreshingly" slow ~ PAINFULLY slow! And I've had issues with a few things because of it.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:59 PM

4,591 posts, read 5,183,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
But there is ONE thing. . . .

You didn't state where you are from. If you currently live in a fast-paced area like NYC, you had better brace yourself for a radical change! Because it is extremely laid back, and the people of New Orleans move at their own pace. . . s-l-o-w. Not "refreshingly" slow ~ PAINFULLY slow! And I've had issues with a few things because of it.
There is a very good reason that we move PAINFULLY slow. It is so hot and humid here if you move to fast you will melt. I'm originally from Upstate New York and learned the hard way. Needless to say the first few years I felt a lot like the Wicked Witch of the West....I'm melting, melting, melting

Old 08-28-2008, 02:04 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,421,749 times
It is not N'Awlins - that is tourist talk! People in N.O. talk abouit food, fishing, and parties, in that order. Church is rarely mentioned unless you are with a bunch of super religious people. I was born there, visited there, lived there for 37 yrs as an adult, and still visit every 2 months. Class makes a big difference in how folks talk, what they talk about after the afore-mentioned 3 subjects, and how they view educaiton. The upper class is a very closed society, they have all known each other since pre-school and don't need any new friends. The middle class is much more accepting of new people if they aren't "yankees", i.e., not tightly wound, not always talking down to the locals, not always complaining about how "it" was better where they came from (it could be anything).

Old 08-28-2008, 02:19 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,659,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Hi, I am condidering job relocation to the NOLA area. I’ve done my homework on post-Katrina New Orleans and I have the logistics side of things pretty much worked out, but I would like to know about the stuff you don’t see in stats - the people.

Now I know there are all kinds of people everywhere you go but it’s also true that places shapes the way people interact with each other, and that’s what I would like to know: what makes them tick, do they fit in the Southern stereotype, are they introverted or extroverted, “agressive” or “passive aggressive”, individualistic or community-oriented, are they family-centered or is it a city for singles, work-oriented or fun-oriented (I think I can work out that one), liberal or conservative, are they religious, what are the differences across the class and race spectrum, what are they like compared to people from other places. You all know what I mean, I'd like ot get the inside scoop.

I would appreciate your feedback whether you are a native or an outsider who lives/has lived there.
I haven't visited NO in 7 years but did so at least twice a year I also lived and worked there in the mid 80's and found them to be some of the nicest people. I lived on the corner of Felicity and Magazine, which wasn't too far from a project, it was a quaint house owned by a lawyer with 20 feet walls, so I felt safe although my boss and his wife thought I was nuts for living there. I never felt in danger and and had this wonderful lady who spent most of her time on her porch who could just about tell me about every perosn who walked past the house while I was at work.

Being British and fresh off the boat, I had quite an ignorant view of Southern America and was pleasantly surprised. I'm Black and can honestly say I came across more racism towards me in places Like Los Angeles which suprised the hell out of me. I have no idea what life is like since Katrina as most people I knew have either moved away or I have lost contact with, my dearest buddy there died some years ago.

You ask about the sort of people there...it's a combination like everywhere else, just depends on who you seek out and where you live. I'm drawn towards the ecentrics and non conformists, so I felt at home.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,464,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
There is a very good reason that we move PAINFULLY slow. It is so hot and humid here if you move to fast you will melt. I'm originally from Upstate New York and learned the hard way. Needless to say the first few years I felt a lot like the Wicked Witch of the West....I'm melting, melting, melting
LOL!!!!!!

Have you been back to Buffalo since? 'Can't help wondering how the New Yorkers seem to you now? Or how you appear to them?

Actually, by "slow" I don't means always in a physical sense, but in other ways that show a more slack way of doing things. The hardest tourist city I've dealt with online is New Orleans, for lack of response (email). So I do not try to contact anyone in any agency anymore.

The slower pace is good for their hearts, though. New Yorkers are probably is better physical shape (based on statistics I've read), yet they're probably full of anxiety all the time from being in such a rush.

Ah, but the food of Louisiana. . . . Makes my mouth water just thinking of it. 'Could use a good Hurricane right now, too.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,632,621 times
Quote:
I would also argue that I have observed a great willingness to laugh at themselves... or maybe I'm trying to say they don't seem to take themselves too seriously for the most part. They see their city as being unique and they love it warts and all.
Wow that's really good and accurate! Somebody ought to make a sign, bumper sticker, or t-shirt out of that one.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:11 PM

58,549 posts, read 77,475,915 times
in NO if you get mugged on a side street (a very likely event), you won't have time to determine if they are passive aggressive. i doubt the evaluation of whether they are introverted or extroverted or community oriented will even take place. consider habitat risk assessment, far better use of your intellect.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 AM

23 posts, read 68,036 times
Default Extroverts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
do they fit in the Southern stereotype, are they introverted or extroverted,
People here are extroverts. They laugh a lot and tell you hello whether they know you or not (unlike some northeastern areas). No typical souther stereotype. The problem with New Orleans is that when you leave, you are in Louisiana. In Mid-City where it's mostly middle class, before the storm it seemed about 40% white, 40% black and the rest Latino and Asian. Now there is a larger percentage of Latinos (in this neighborhood anyway). The diversity is what makes it interesting. People here are very easy going. We have fantastic "Night Out Against Crime" block parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans