U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2008, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
2,498 posts, read 10,496,756 times
Reputation: 1605

Advertisements

As a Californian who is constantly risking it with earthquakes and fires, I totally understand the mentality of New Orleans residents. That place is their home, the place they love, and the culture they appreciate. I certainly hope that when a big earthquake hits the Los Angeles area everyone isn't going "Told you so, you deserved it" and realize that this place is our home. When the brushfires nearly burnt the backyard of my coworker and nearly destroyed her house, you would think she would move? She didn't though because she loves that neighborhood and the people in it. If New Orleans and CA residents share anything in common, it is that we understand people first, buildings later. Buildings can always be restored, but a culture and people can't.

I am praying for you New Orleans and the entire Gulf Coast. Best of luck to you all and even if everything goes wrong, your city will again rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,234 posts, read 14,463,383 times
Reputation: 25909
darylwi ~

I think the need to keep rebuilding goes even deeper than that. Fact is, it is a JOY to be in New Orleans, be it residents or snowbirds or tourists. And it's the only city in America with its unique history, which has survived numerous disasters (including plagues). It's history has provided Louisiana with the tastiest cuisine you can find, forms of music that were "born" there, and the people of New Orleans have made it the most feel-good place to be. Last year we decided to spend a week there and had a ball. We will do it again next year for Jazz Fest.

I think it's a crying shame that tourism hasn't picked up more. People just don't understand that New Orleans is up and running with anything that tourists go there to see and do. And I also think it's a crying shame that all the millions of dollars donated to the city for disaster relief has not seemed to materialize somehow. I do think your own local government has messed up (corruption) for decades; however, I also think federal funds should help pay for the best levees available.

New Orleans is a national treasure. It's one of my favorite places to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
794 posts, read 3,079,462 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
darylwi ~

I think the need to keep rebuilding goes even deeper than that. Fact is, it is a JOY to be in New Orleans, be it residents or snowbirds or tourists. And it's the only city in America with its unique history, which has survived numerous disasters (including plagues). It's history has provided Louisiana with the tastiest cuisine you can find, forms of music that were "born" there, and the people of New Orleans have made it the most feel-good place to be. Last year we decided to spend a week there and had a ball. We will do it again next year for Jazz Fest.

I think it's a crying shame that tourism hasn't picked up more. People just don't understand that New Orleans is up and running with anything that tourists go there to see and do. And I also think it's a crying shame that all the millions of dollars donated to the city for disaster relief has not seemed to materialize somehow. I do think your own local government has messed up (corruption) for decades; however, I also think federal funds should help pay for the best levees available.

New Orleans is a national treasure. It's one of my favorite places to go.
I can completely agree with that assessment.
It is a shame that we are having to go through this again. But until people and government step up to the plate and make drastic changes to the way things are done down here, I'm afraid these disasters will only get worse. Beaucoup amounts of money are being poured into the state for storm protection post-Katrina, but a lot of it is being wasted in some form or another. Typical government I guess. Not to mention there is a ton of personal resentment with the government possibly taking over land for levee construction. Resident A gets left out of the proposed huge hurricane levee project, but Legislator B gets to extend the levee in some oblong form to secure his camp. That's wrong. Scientists and engineers should get together and decide what the best route is and what will have to be sacrificed. Politics and/or favortism shouldn't decide it.

Also, for California, I hope I didn't sound like I didn't care. I was kind of sorta just making a point. I don't wish ill will on anybody.
Of course, we'd love to see this thing shift over to the east or far west at the last minute, but not at the expense of our friends and neighbors in Texas and Mississippi. Best case would be for it to dissapate altogether, but that's not likely now. If anyone should take the hit, maybe it should be us. We should be best prepared and maybe it will continue to wake people up to the problems we have down here.
Earthquake victims do get it worse because unlike hurricanes, you can't see those coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
772 posts, read 4,111,424 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post
I see my question has been answered. The attitude you display is exactly why I will never contribute money to a charity to aid NOLA. You want to live in a high risk area, then own the consequences by yourself. How could I ever understand what they go through if I don't live there.
Moderator cut: edit You knew your question would grind on the nerves of some, yet you asked it. You then received an honest answer, and this is how you respond. Keep your money. They'd rather have the assistance of people who actually give a crap anyway.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-01-2008 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: wrong wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 12:51 AM
 
639 posts, read 2,011,100 times
Reputation: 459
Because it's a city with tons of culture and history, all of which is cherished and valued, and to abandon that is a bigger disgrace than the ignorant question you just posed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
526 posts, read 1,175,586 times
Reputation: 948
My question is not WHY rebuild, but why people live there? I know most (if not all of them) know the risks. You know, it's almost like comparing it to Southern California (as a few mentioned). The job opportunities are great despite the risks of earthquakes and wildfires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 03:00 AM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,686,154 times
Reputation: 1949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
My question is not WHY rebuild, but why people live there?
You must not have ever been to New Orleans. If you had, you wouldn't be asking this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Columbia Maryland
333 posts, read 936,766 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You must not have ever been to New Orleans. If you had, you wouldn't be asking this question.
Amen to that. There is no place else like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,801,548 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
My question is not WHY rebuild, but why people live there? I know most (if not all of them) know the risks. You know, it's almost like comparing it to Southern California (as a few mentioned). The job opportunities are great despite the risks of earthquakes and wildfires.
Why do you live in Connecticut ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 PM
 
Location: USA
2,819 posts, read 6,933,256 times
Reputation: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
As a Californian who is constantly risking it with earthquakes and fires, I totally understand the mentality of New Orleans residents. That place is their home, the place they love, and the culture they appreciate. I certainly hope that when a big earthquake hits the Los Angeles area everyone isn't going "Told you so, you deserved it" and realize that this place is our home. When the brushfires nearly burnt the backyard of my coworker and nearly destroyed her house, you would think she would move? She didn't though because she loves that neighborhood and the people in it. If New Orleans and CA residents share anything in common, it is that we understand people first, buildings later. Buildings can always be restored, but a culture and people can't.

I am praying for you New Orleans and the entire Gulf Coast. Best of luck to you all and even if everything goes wrong, your city will again rise.
Thank you Missionhome. You do understand. Buildings can be replaced, but culture can't. So true, so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top