U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 AM

109 posts, read 377,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post
Miborn, you viewpoint is refreshing. You hit the nail on the head.

Let's take this one step further... What disturbs me is the chatter from some politicians in regards to nationalizing and increasing flood insurance for coastal areas, namely the gulf coast. Katrina rebuilders are having a hard time insuring their houses. Since no insurance company wants to hemorrhage their assets, let's just make the American people pay for any flood damage. It's a win-win for the coast but a lose-lose for everyone else.
I'd hardly call living through the devastation that was Katrina and then still living in a Fema trailer three years later, as some families currently do, a "win-win" situation.
Wow.
We're not talking here about people who live in trophy houses with glittering ocean views; we're talking mostly about people whose families may have been living in New Orleans for generations, in simple homes built in working class neighborhoods.
Neighborhoods with a sense of community, where people look out for one another.
Let's hope the next election will help to address some of these "me-me" attitudes that presently pervade the national consciousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 AM

404 posts, read 1,091,886 times
I've only been to New Orleans one time. And my question is why not rebuild? I hope those who live there and call it home survive this challenge. And the rest of us get to enjoy the culture and beauty of the city. I'll never forget my time there. And I hope many more get to enjoy it in the future.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 AM

463 posts, read 1,243,548 times
I guess hurricanes like that tasty cajun food huh

Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 AM

1,804 posts, read 3,828,025 times
Our educated minds and degrees and skills should work with the City of NOLA to finds ways to improve these levees or come up with a plan to raise the city above sea level and bring back those marshes on the coast because NOLA is a great city but the mindset of some of its people is different. We should show them how to help themselves ( my opinion).

Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM

2,830 posts, read 5,516,096 times
Quote:
I understand that this question might sound harsh, and I apologize if this has come up before, but why would you want to rebuild a city that is on the coast which lies below sea level and in a hurricane zone? Camille, Katrina, now Gustav... When is enough enough?

Simply put, for many, it is home.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,600 times
Quote:
I see my question has been answered. The attitude you display is exactly why I will never contribute money to a charity to aid NOLA. You want to live in a high risk area, then own the consequences by yourself. How could I ever understand what they go through if I don't live there.
Most New Orleanians want your charity about as much as they want to hear your opinion about continuing to leave in their homes -- not at all. The people sitting on their hands and waiting for "handouts" are not and have not been the people spearheading the recovery of this city.

I would agree with you that the government has no obligation to fund the evacuation of people who can't afford to do so on their own. It's simply a cost of living in New Orleans.

My mid-19th century home has been through plenty of storms and will probably go through many more. New Orleans has a huge inventory of historic architecture that will live on for years and years and years and is worth fighting for -- certainly more so than the exurban McMansions across most of the cultural wastelands of America.

The attitude that you display is exactly why I don't want to live in your or anyone else's area.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 PM

4,046 posts, read 5,505,383 times
Quote:
I see my question has been answered. The attitude you display is exactly why I will never contribute money to a charity to aid NOLA. You want to live in a high risk area, then own the consequences by yourself. How could I ever understand what they go through if I don't live there.
I hate to trot out the cliche "if you can dish it out," but if you were willing to ask that question about New Orleans specifically and not other disaster-prone cities also, I think at least a few responses from irritated posters are part of the deal. Doesn't make any sense to me that you seem to have judged the entire city based on a message board post, either.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:33 AM

159 posts, read 491,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
What exactly did you think the response would be after you ask a question of why people should rebuild their homes, their lives, and their city after one of the worst disasters this country has ever known ?

Did you think you would be applauded for asking such a great question ?

Have you ever even been to NOLA ?

New Orleans, Louisiana was founded in 1718 ( 58 years before America was founded ) New Orleans has been under the rule of 5 governments ( France, Spain, Great Britain, Confederate States of America ( CSA ), and the United States )

New Orleans has been burned (1788) New Orleans has suffered from plagues (yellow fever, malaria, and smallpox. The final outbreak was in 1905. )

New Orleans has flooded several times ( 1849, 1882, 1927, 1965, 1995, and 2005 just off the top of my head.

Hurricanecity.com has this listed as New Orleans Hurricanes...

MODERATOR: Cut - sorry, no copyrighted info allowed...please list links and not articles

New Orleans,Louisiana hurricanes

My point being...

New Orleans has been hit by several Hurricanes, It has burned to the ground and been rebuilt. It's suffered through several plauges and rebuilt. The city has gone through 5 diffrent governments and has some of the most interesting and beautiful architecture in the world. The people for the most part are friendly and the attitude of the city is wonderful.

If New Orleans was allowed to flood and not rebuild, It would be a sad, sad day in this country. It's a beautiful city and I go down there atleast once a year and have an outstanding time.

Maybe before you come onto a messageboard and ask a ridiculous question again, You'll do a little research and for future reference, Hopefully you've learned how really stupid your question was.

I would like to see what the reply would be to your topic if you asked the people in the NYC forum why they should build new skyscrapers after what happend on 9/11.
[/font]
i live in virginia beach, and the city nextdoor, norfolk, has had its fair share of burning down to the grown, getting burned down during the civil war, theres been yellow fever outbreaks, and we've had our share of bad hurricanes. Obviously not as bad as Katrina, but if we get a cat 3 or higher, hampton roads and the outer banks would be GONE.

if that happened i would still go back, simply because its my hometown, and where i came from. Nowhere else feels like home to me and i wouldnt just abandoned my beautiful city because of a natural disaster. Things happen, and theres no reason, why you should let natural disasters keep you from living in a beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans