U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:48 PM

227 posts, read 937,239 times

Advertisements

I understand that this question might sound harsh, and I apologize if this has come up before, but why would you want to rebuild a city that is on the coast which lies below sea level and in a hurricane zone? Camille, Katrina, now Gustav... When is enough enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,405 times
OMG. How many times do we have to explain this. New Olreans is a HUGE port city. It is a hub city for several major rail lines. Most goods that wind up in the central part of the U.S. come through the Port of New Orleans. New Orleans is also a MAJOR tourist attraction and is a huge source of revenue for the state because of it. 50% of New Orleans is above sea level. It seems like people would be able to put two and two together and realize that if President Bush could give a press conference on dry land in Jackson Square and another image in the corner of the screen shows houses with water up to the rooftop, then the whole city is not at the same elevation. Most importantly, It is home to about 1.3 million people and it is a part of them. Like I always say, if you insist on getting rid of New Orleans, you also have to get rid of Houston, Miami, New York City, San Francisco, and Oklahoma City because of their vulnerability to natural disasters. While we're at it, we might as well get rid of Denver, too, because it just gets too cold there. Right? Wrong! because all of these places are important to this country and make us who we are. These are people's homes, and if people don't make their home in one of those vulnerable cities, then what right do they have to make judgements and try to give them advice on what they should or should not do?

Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 AM

794 posts, read 3,079,601 times
All of the great cities of the world have been destroyed and rebuilt multiple times, except for maybe Babylon. There is no place on Earth that isn't susceptible to some natural or unnatural disaster.
It is actually possible to protect NOLA and south Louisiana from storm flooding. This is one of those cases where maybe people don't know what's best for them. I agree with imminent domain here. The government should purchase a band of land and put up flood walls, dikes and flood gates to protect the area like they did in Holland. What we have in place right now doesn't come close to that kind of protection.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 PM

227 posts, read 937,239 times
Quote:
These are people's homes, and if people don't make their home in one of those vulnerable cities, then what right do they have to make judgements and try to give them advice on what they should or should not do?
I see my question has been answered. The attitude you display is exactly why I will never contribute money to a charity to aid NOLA. You want to live in a high risk area, then own the consequences by yourself. How could I ever understand what they go through if I don't live there.

Last edited by bullfish15; 08-31-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 02:27 PM

155 posts, read 688,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post
I see my question has been answered. The attitude you display is exactly why I will never contribute money to a charity to aid NOLA. You want to live in a high risk area, then own the consequences by yourself. How could I ever understand what they go through if I don't live there.
Your question is valid. But understand that many of New Orleans' citizens are poor and don't have the option to simply move to another city and secure a decent paying job. That's why so many people stayed behind despite warnings during Hurricane Katrina; they simply had no place to go or means to get there until public shelters opened up at the last minute. New Orleans is a type of city whose citizens are very stagnant--meaning they don't leave home for college or for jobs. People spent there whole lives in New Orleans and hardly ever leave (unlike places like New York, Atlanta, Boston, etc.). So as long as these people stay, the government has a responsibility to provide public services to them.

So that's my answer as to why rebuild New Orleans: because there are people who still live there!

Old 08-31-2008, 03:18 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,464,621 times
Since "old New Orleans" was built on higher ground ~ and survived centuries with hardly any harm ~ it's obvious that the ancestors knew better. 9th Ward should never, ever, have been built ~ however, it still stands a chance if levees like the ones in Holland (engineered by THE DUTCH!) are implemented. But even if they started the plans tomorrow, it would take years.

But the government did not "build" the 9th Ward, so I see no reason why it should be responsible for taking care of its people.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:06 PM

356 posts, read 1,185,018 times
Default i must admit

sometime I wonder the same thing.
Quote:
I understand that this question might sound harsh, and I apologize if this has come up before, but why would you want to rebuild a city that is on the coast which lies below sea level and in a hurricane zone? Camille, Katrina, now Gustav... When is enough enough?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:51 PM

333 posts, read 936,818 times
Quote:
After the next earth quake, lets not rebuild San Fransisco. And after the next tornado lets tell the folks in the mid west to just move. After the drought in the south east lets have everyone move north. Oh, wait, if the winter is too cold lets have them move south.....

Old 08-31-2008, 06:04 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,802,298 times
Quote:
What exactly did you think the response would be after you ask a question of why people should rebuild their homes, their lives, and their city after one of the worst disasters this country has ever known ?

Did you think you would be applauded for asking such a great question ?

Have you ever even been to NOLA ?

New Orleans, Louisiana was founded in 1718 ( 58 years before America was founded ) New Orleans has been under the rule of 5 governments ( France, Spain, Great Britain, Confederate States of America ( CSA ), and the United States )

New Orleans has been burned (1788) New Orleans has suffered from plagues (yellow fever, malaria, and smallpox. The final outbreak was in 1905. )

New Orleans has flooded several times ( 1849, 1882, 1927, 1965, 1995, and 2005 just off the top of my head.

Hurricanecity.com has this listed as New Orleans Hurricanes...

MODERATOR: Cut - sorry, no copyrighted info allowed...please list links and not articles

http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/neworleans.htm

My point being...

New Orleans has been hit by several Hurricanes, It has burned to the ground and been rebuilt. It's suffered through several plauges and rebuilt. The city has gone through 5 diffrent governments and has some of the most interesting and beautiful architecture in the world. The people for the most part are friendly and the attitude of the city is wonderful.

If New Orleans was allowed to flood and not rebuild, It would be a sad, sad day in this country. It's a beautiful city and I go down there atleast once a year and have an outstanding time.

Maybe before you come onto a messageboard and ask a ridiculous question again, You'll do a little research and for future reference, Hopefully you've learned how really stupid your question was.

I would like to see what the reply would be to your topic if you asked the people in the NYC forum why they should build new skyscrapers after what happend on 9/11.
[/font]

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-01-2008 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: inserted link

Old 08-31-2008, 06:38 PM

794 posts, read 3,079,601 times
#1, the Lower Ninth is actually above sea level. What did it and most of NOLA in was a catastrophic failure of the levee system. Once the water came in, it had nowhere else to go but up.

And let's not talk about how the western U.S. is always complaining about water shortage issues and the draining of the Colorado River and other rivers and aquifers. In a few more years, the west and possibly the plains could be in worse shape than south Louisiana will ever be. Then come back and ask the same question. Do we start shipping water in to people who systematically refused to listen to conservation and just depleted their natural water supply without thought of the consequences?

This is such a stupid argument. If you think NOLA doesn't "deserve" to be rebuilt just come out and say it instead of making stupid pointless arguments. I can easily say that if L.A. burns, I might not care less. But guess what, I don't have any interest there either. If you have a problem with federal aid, talk to you local congressman. If you got a problem with local charities, then don't donate. There. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans