U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:11 AM

485 posts, read 1,692,259 times

Advertisements

Our Mayor told us that we had to leave town because Gustav was going to be twice the size of Katrina. So I got on a bus with lots of other people and ended up in Little Rock Ar. I am living in a shelter now and the mood is not so good. Thank heavens for my laptop and the ability to use the Internet.

No one sleeps here. There is yelling and screaming all night and no one seems to care if anyone is trying to sleep. They tell us that we are going to be bused back to New Orleans soon but no one can tell us when. It may not be until Friday or Saturday because there is a shortage of buses. After the bus dropped us off at the shelter it drove away.

Any other refugees from New Orleans stuck at a shelter like me? Tell us your stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 AM

1,778 posts, read 4,099,871 times
I understand that accomodations at a shelter are "uncomfortable" at best, but you need to temper your bias for the situation with the fact that you didn't know yourself if Gustav would be a "bust". I'm sorry but folks with your attitude drive me up a wall. If you didn't have a geographical spot to come back to (i.e. if Gustav would have not been a bust), your attitude towards your present condition would be diametrically different. You can't have the cake and eat it too. Don't blame other's preventive measures to save your life for your own lack of decision-making. You thought they were overhyping the situation? Don't leave and roll the dice. Don't complain about the roof over your head right now. Seriously....

Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,874,059 times
The mayor is not a meteorologist. Also...the strength or "size" of the hurricane is not necessarily the problem in New Orleans. It is the Levies. As a New Orleans resident, you must understand that there are no black and white answers. This storm was never made out to be as large as Katrina by the National Weather Service or National Hurricane Center.

Be thankful that Gustav was less than the mayor expected. His job is to minimize the loss of life and then get things going again afterward. You made the right choice to leave. You may want to consider living elsewhere if evacuating is too problematic. New Orleans will be hit by hurricanes many more times unfortunately.

Good luck on a speedy return!!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 AM

5,372 posts, read 11,100,099 times
Yes, be thankful that you are ALIVE and well. So you lose a few nights of sleep and are a bit uncomfortable. It's temporary. Be thankful that there was appropriate action this time and be thankful that Gustav was NOT a Katrina.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,466,119 times
This is probably going to be a semi-annual occurrence, for the good of the people. If you just put together a bin or carryable case with some basic needs (including a little food and water), your i.d., then you can just grab it and go when you're ordered to leave. Also, I would keep a list in that bin or case of the valuables you can't part with (like photos) so that you know what to grab to add to it. (And make sure you know where those valuables are, if they're not on display or easily accessible; if not on display then it may as well stay inside the case.) Copies of important papers should be included, too, and kept in it.

At least you have time to save your life. With earthquakes, sometimes even tornados, people aren't so lucky.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,633,013 times
Poor Refugee! I've never stayed in a shelter, but I've heard that it is difficult. A friend of Mom's had her underwear stolen, (of all things), in a shelter. All I can offer is my sympathy for your lack of sleep and discomfort. Oh well at least you are in air-conditioning, (I hope)

Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 PM

485 posts, read 1,692,259 times
Default It could be Saturday before we go home

Update:

Because so many of the people who are in charge of utility repair left town, the Southeastern area of LA is without electricity. They tell us now that it may be Saturday before they are able to get us a bus to go home.

I understand that many people who are attempting to get back into New Orleans on their own, are being turned back and are sleeping in their cars outside of the City.

Someone told me I should take a bus or train back. It does not seem possible at this point. I am stuck!

Most of the people at the shelter are very angry and there are many of us who may try to get back on our own but most people do not have much money, or means to get home.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,466,119 times
Were you there during Katrina?

Well, I am not an inspector, but I do work for a city government (Building Department), and believe me, during any disaster occupants are never allowed back into buildings until the assessment has been done and determined. Katrina victims should know this. I do find it strange that people are already getting angry, which tells me that The City needs to educate its citizens on this necessity.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM

59 posts, read 152,031 times
are you joking? you want to go back in without knowing if you have power, water and proper working sewage? you do know the levees broke AFTER katrina hit right? not during.

sit tight. if you do decide to drive back down they won't let you in anyway so what good does that do you?

shelters aren't hotels but it beats being dead.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:33 PM

67 posts, read 232,114 times
Perhaps you'll be granted another reason to stay at the shelter....

Hurricane IKE

I don't know. Louisiana is really starting to suck. REALLY. LSU just took away my fall break in my senior year of college instead of the wiser decision to add a week to our schedule. Talk about upset students... anyway, look out for more hurricanes and more reasons to evacuate - they're sure to come. I hate guaranteeing the inevitable here, but uhm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans