U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:52 AM

10 posts, read 28,905 times

Advertisements

we just moved from mandeville to tega cay sc ,...grew up in nola. moved to mandeville in 03'.just left in august.

corruption ,crime , attitudes...that's what you will get for the most part . i will miss rock n bowl , and a few places to eat , but for the most part i will not miss it.

the northshore was a great place to live until the flood of 05'..the area could not handle the amount on people that came , roads are poor , takes for ever to complete a project (190 ,real good example)...

corruption in mandeville city hall...thieves...same as nola....just read that the world trade center is about empty of tenets..so much for world trade huh?

i know sooo many who want to leave ,but are "stuck" for the lack of a better word..

metairie is the area that has the most going on, but it is sooo congested..harahan is a older area, but for the prices they ask for homes built in the 40's , they are out of thier minds ,and tiny...

the quater is nice , but doing the party scene 20 years ago ,been there done that...we have a nice zoo although you need a atv to get to it...

i could go on and on..

i was fortunate to sell my home in mandeville ,at full asking price time to go , to us , the america is bigger than slidell to kenner la and covingtion to the gulf...best to ya....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:48 AM

1,387 posts, read 3,550,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herron451 View Post
I I have heard wonderful things about New Orleans from some folks (lots of things to do, liberal minded folks), but I have heard horrifying things, too (rampant racism, high crime).
You are right about the rampant racism. Judging by the inter-racial crime staistics, it looks like blacks victimize whites at MUCH higher rates than the other way around. So I guess black racism *is* pretty rampant.
And if it is white racism you are talking about, maybe that is due to the absurdly high levels of black crime.
Just a thought.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
You are right about the rampant racism. Judging by the inter-racial crime staistics, it looks like blacks victimize whites at MUCH higher rates than the other way around. So I guess black racism *is* pretty rampant.
And if it is white racism you are talking about, maybe that is due to the absurdly high levels of black crime.
Just a thought.
Notice how this poster is trying to justify racism with racism. That attitude is exactly what people are talking about when they mention racism in New Orleans.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 PM

30 posts, read 72,395 times
hope this person is happy wherever he is now... ithought he d be better off in Seattle...

Old 09-11-2010, 09:20 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,184,346 times
Blacks victimizing whites? ummm... 99% of the murders are black on black, the vast majority of which is drug-related and folks who know each other. The only racial conflict that seems to play out crime wise has been between black people native to the city and recently arrived hispanic laborers. They get paid in cash and are easy targets for armed robbery (plus they're afraid to go to the cops). I've been robbed once in 25 years, I gave them the money and went on about my business. I think that New Orleans is the capital of "mind your own business", USA. You leave people alone and they tend to do the same. Most of the neighborhoods run together so if you drive or even walk through most areas no one pays any attention. There are many many cities where people passing through look horribly out of place and everyone in that 'hood takes notice and doesn't act too kindly. New Orleans for the most part is not one of these cities. The racism thing we could go all day, come down here and judge for yourself. I know people up North who are convinced the South is so racist and that we all need to be "educated" by them, yet ironically enough they don't have any minority friends in their life and are terrified of minority neighborhoods. I think that everywhere in this country is racist, but anyone can find localized examples to try to prove why their community isn't. The variable that changes the whole black/white thing in New Orleans is the Creole community. They are obviously mixed (usually Catholic, French/Spanish names) but many consider themselves neither black nor white..their own ethnicity. New Orleans is pretty liberal by southern standards, but politics aside, the French Catholic love of life and Louisiana friendliness makes just about everyone "liberal" in terms of their social life and mannerisms. So yeah, I think you should give this city a shot. You'll either love it or hate it, and I haven't met many people who moved here and didn't fall in love.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,623 times
I am planning on moving to NOLA in a few months, I have two children, a husband, a pit bull, and a concealed weapons permit... I add concealed weapons permit because it sounds like I am going to be needing it. I have a family member who lives down there and she says it's wonderful. She pays good money to live in a gated community though. I'd say that if you are moving down there, move to Belle Chase, the public schools are wonderful if you plan on having children. It's the only school district since Katrina that has a "district" per say. I plan to home school my children, eventually buy a place out of the city and get my children involved in 4H. NOLA is a wonderful place to make money. My husband has been promised a career making 150,000 a year and even more money after that. So we will be able to afford living in a decent area around NOLA. If you do not have a good career opportunity down there though, it might not be a good place to live.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 AM

640 posts, read 1,065,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerobin06 View Post
I am planning on moving to NOLA in a few months, I have two children, a husband, a pit bull, and a concealed weapons permit... I add concealed weapons permit because it sounds like I am going to be needing it. I have a family member who lives down there and she says it's wonderful. She pays good money to live in a gated community though. I'd say that if you are moving down there, move to Belle Chase, the public schools are wonderful if you plan on having children. It's the only school district since Katrina that has a "district" per say. I plan to home school my children, eventually buy a place out of the city and get my children involved in 4H. NOLA is a wonderful place to make money. My husband has been promised a career making 150,000 a year and even more money after that. So we will be able to afford living in a decent area around NOLA. If you do not have a good career opportunity down there though, it might not be a good place to live.
This is utterly obnoxious. It really irks me when people make judgements about this city having never lived here. I'm sure your family member has probably never lived in new Orleans itself and makes outrageous judgements based on irrational fear than on actual experiencers.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:50 PM

77 posts, read 140,326 times
lol bluebird.....there is a huge dog park. it's in the city park. This city is a very dog-friendly area. People are always running or walking with their dogs and bringing them to outdoor bars and restaurants.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:55 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,993,314 times
3 year old thread...

Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 PM

77 posts, read 140,326 times
hmmmm it is a 3 year old thread. didn't realize that someone brought it back to life. oh, well. maybe someone else could get some use out of the information....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans