Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 32,044 times

Advertisements

I know it is an odd question, but I am not in a position to scout first, so, here goes...

I am a 30 year old man with a border collie/australian shepherd cross. I want a quiet environment with access to folklore and mythology (a geeky passion, but mine none the less). I have heard wonderful things about New Orleans from some folks (lots of things to do, liberal minded folks), but I have heard horrifying things, too (rampant racism, high crime). Is this a good place for a person like me? Will I be comfortable and happy there?

Bear in mind that I realize you folks don't know me, so maybe general atmosphere of the city would be helpful. Political outlooks, religous outlook and prevalence, personal interactions, etc...

Thanks much folks and have a wonderful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 02:16 PM

258 posts, read 1,020,427 times
Have you visited here?

I wouldn't advise moving unless you've see how the city operates.
You have to WANT and LOVE NOLA to put up with the bad that goes with the wonderful.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 32,044 times
I am currently living in California, and can't afford a visit. I have a couple friends who live there and love it, though. Do you think it would be a good place for the person described above?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 21,189 times
Visit if you can. You said you're in no position to make a special trip out there, but if you have heard good and bad things about New Orleans then you really have no choice.

I'm moving to New Orleans next year and visiting isn't a requirement before relocating somewhere, but I'm doing it because it's a good thing to do. Can't really afford it but I'm making myself afford it.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:40 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,427 times
I'd find a way to stay cheaply.

You've gotta get a taste for the part of town you like, if you like how it works here...etc.

This isn't like California, Chicago, NYC...it operates on it's own wave length.
I moved here from Chicago and I am still making the transition to getting used to a lot of things here.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times
Moving from CA to New Orleans would be a HUGE culture shock for you. I can't really think of 2 places so different. I moved from New Orleans to Southern Oregon many many years ago, and recently moved to N Michigan. If you ever have plans to start a family, I would not recommend New Orleans. The schools are horrible. The crime is HORRIBLE. I know of no one who hasn't had their houses broken into, cars broken into, I've had friends mugged, and have personal experience of putting furniture in front of an outside door while a gun fight was taking place in front or the apartment I lived in. It was something I finally decided I didn't want to "get used to". Of course if your'e from a big city in CA, you may already be used to it.

As for the dog, the houses there have tiny (we called them postage-stamp) yards, if any. There aren't any dog parks that I know of for them to run around in. Fleas are a year round nuisance, and I have other horrible memories of flea infestations growing up. Of course there's now great meds to use for that. There are stinging caterpillars, mosquitos, horrible heat and humidity. If your dog has collie in it, it needs to run. Move somewhere where you can get a nice big yard (like Michigan HA!).

That being said, I can't think of any better place to eat! I missed the food the most moving away, and yes, there's culture. BUT, the New Orleans that's left now is only a shadow of itself, and the New Orlenas that's developing is something I'm still trying to figure out. There's wonderful art, music, the cost of living is very low compared to the West Coast (although Katrin changed that, but it's still less than CA).

I would not blindly move there at all. There is usually really cheap flights into the city in August, and you may be able to find some right now if you hurry. Summer is generally the "down time" there, as it's so hot.

IF you do go and visit, be very careful. Go with someone who knows the city. I've seen so many tourists get into trouble because they stray outside of the French Quarter. The locals there can spot a tourist a mile away. There's not really any good and bad part of town there like in other cities. It's very patchy.

Here's a website for news: New Orleans, LA Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - NOLA.com It gives a pretty un-bias view. I'd avoid all of the touristy sites, as they just show the good parts.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I lived there most ofo my life and aside from food and the French Qtr, I don't miss a thing. Therre are NO dog parks to let your dog roam around in. Most houses have 1/12 acre lots or less. You probably couldn't afford one with a bigger yard unless you are extremely wealthy - which you said you are not.

If you are looking for folks to say, come on down, you're not going to get it here. Your dog would be miserable in the summer heat - that's April-Oct. I used to have my long-haired ones shaved. A/C is a MUST for people and animals.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I agree with the above comments that one should not move into New Orleans blindly. It's different in many ways and a bit contradictory in others.

Crime has always been a problem there and it's gotten worse since Katrina. In the areas that are trying to re-develop (like the 9th Ward), certain crimes have increased (like theft). You have to watch yourself everywhere you go because of muggings. I was there last year, and police were everywhere in the French Quarter, AND in certain out-of-the-tourist sites ~ always in pairs, often more. New Orleans also has a bad history of drug-abuse, which I assume accounts for a chunk of the crime.

I don't know about dogs. But what's funny is that in April 05, a few months before Katrina, my husband and I both noticed all the dogs all over the place. Not stray dogs, necessarily ~ just out and about with their masters. Didn't notice it so much last year.

And I don't know how "religious" New Orleans is, but it has a very strong Catholic base. Even New Orleans Voodoo has Catholic ties (but Voodoo is is still a small practice there). Politically, I'm less sure about, but I'm inclined to think that "liberal" isn't necessarily the climate there, although it depends on the issues. I would prefer to hear a comment on this from someone who lives, or lived, there. I'm curious, too.

I love New Orleans because it is such a happy, feel-good place to enjoy. Even the music is happy. It's a city that brims with its own energy, and I can sure understand why someone would feel lured to lived in it. It has a very unique history and culture and I worry that a lot of it will change over time. I don't think it will completely go away. But the earth is going through a cycle of damaging hurricanes right now, and as each one of those occur there, it takes away just a little more as people give up and leave. I would love to own a little vacation home there but, quite frankly, I'd be constantly worried of break-ins.

Ah, the food! Tastiest cuisine in the world, I swear! It's probably a challenge for vegetarians or those who dislike seafood. And I still dream of Oceana's bread pudding with rum sauce. . . . But enough day-dreaming here. :-)

Climate: Beautiful early-to-mid springs is what I'm familiar with. Only time of year I've been there. Was told that Christmas can be pleasantly comfortable, but cold enough at times to require gloves. Summers are usually in the upper-90's but it's the humidity that suffocates. Still, annual festivals and fun stuff still go on in the spirit of celebrations.

Christmas is a HUGE event there, highly celebrated, very colorful and festive. I would love to go there sometime for it.

Good luck in your search. It's too bad you can't scout it out first. Crime and weather alone are enough to require it. And, in your case, I would do it in the summer if you do get the opportunity to visit. I know that sounds backwards but you should see the downside of its climate before ever making a decision.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 09-12-2008 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: Add information.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:05 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Some Christmas Days I had to run the a/c b/c of heat/humidity and some I had to serve on paper plates b/c the pipes were frozen in the ground. Early Spring means late Feb-early April. Fall is most of Oct.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:51 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times
Just remember that the folklore and mythology that is there isn't very good. N.O. has a long history of bloody wars, numerous flags that have flown over the place, yellow fever, floods, hurricanes, fires, slavery, exiled French-Canadians (whos' decendants were forced to speak English in US public schools), and most recently, exploitation of its natual resources by oil, gas, fisheries, cyprus logging, trappers, etc...). It's always been a very important place, thus the battle over it numerous times. Maybe because of so much suffering it has the reputation of ghosts, and it has certainly made its people strong and resilient. Folks there know how to enjoy life because they know how fleeting happy times can be. Laissez le bon temps roulez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans