U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 04:03 AM

258 posts, read 940,353 times

Advertisements

I have no idea how, but I have an idea for a "social movement" if that's the proper term you'd use?

Anyhow, since New Orleans has a really bad problem with blighted properties and no one to jump off the bat to fix them, I think the city should implement one of two ideas to a certain situation:

The houses that are in NO shape to be lived in should be torn down and made into a garden with the now vacant property.
Let the neighborhood work together on it and it would look better than an ugly house that is unlivable.
It would add value and a sense of personality to a neighborhood.
The city is already crawling with creative people, why not let an artist run wild and give it a certain style?
Pre-Gustav we had a house that was a joke of a property standing on my block, no person in their right mind would have stepped a foot inside.
Now, after it collapsed from the hurricane it was torn down within days.
The city had shown it is possible for it to move at some kind of speed.
Why not implement an idea like this? Everyone is so into being "green" this is a perfect solution.

Secondly, if the blighted house in question is set to a level of possible re-entry, why not sell it at an affordable price to let a private buyer buy it at a minimum if they have a detailed plan and financial structure to do so? Not someone to come in and "flip the house" but someone who generally wants to live there themselves?
Let a renter actually be able to AFFORD something instead of making someone else richer in one of their 10 houses they rent.

I don't understand why this isn't possible, it's too Utopian for this city?
I'd like to find out a why to either see if a program like these were possible or if I am just wishfully thinking?

Opinions please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 06:27 AM

23 posts, read 68,036 times
Regarding the blighted houses, are you referring to city-owned property? Some owners of blighted houses can't afford to bring them back, so they wouldn't be able to sell them at an "affordable price". If you want to purchase a piece of property at an affordable price, attend the Civil Sheriff's auction. Check out the list of properties up for grabs. http://www.civilsheriff.com/RealEstateSales.asp

About gardens. Great idea. Glad to know there's a like-minded person out there. This is already going on. Please check it out: Parkway Parnters Active Community Gardens in New Orleans (http://www.parkwaypartnersnola.org/gardenlist.html - broken link)
Parkway Partners is an amazing organization with a friendly, helpful staff.
Another similar non-profit: New Orleans Food and Farm Network

The reason we can't have a lot more gardens is because these community garden lots easily become wildly overgrown for 2 reasons - anything and everything grows here so the gardens become unruly very easily. Second, people are into it for a while and then end up going back to their regular lives.

I participated in a Permaculture class via Tulane at a warehouse in Mid-City. LOTS of vegetables, fruits, flowers were planted. It was great but unfortunately, students lost interest, moved on and the 'farm' did not last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans