U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,535 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am moving to new orleans in a few weeks, and i was hoping that i could get some suggestions for some great communities to live in! of course safety is an issue ( i dont want to live in the hood) but as im young and single i don't really want to live in the burbs either. In memphis i lived in midtown were i could walk to restaurants and bars art galleries etc.. I would love to find an area like that any suggestions??
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:54 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,415,202 times
IMHO, NOLA and Memphis have about the same level of crime, so that makes your adjustment easier. Try looking in the Marigny, just outside of the Quarter.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:07 PM

258 posts, read 940,290 times
marigny or bywater.

Those are the area's that are more "artistic"

Old 09-20-2008, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,535 times
Thanks guys! Your dead on about the crime, I have been robbed so many times it almost seems like somethings wrong when nothings been stolen! I was thinking of the area around st charles? Would that be around marigny?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 AM

19,866 posts, read 58,415,202 times
No, the MArigny is below Canal St, behind the French Qtr (actually below Esplanade Ave).

Since N.O. has streets that follow the river, sometimes they're parallel to each other and sometimes perpendicular. So "below" is following the river in the direction of the Gulf and "above" is following the river up towards Baton Rouge. Older folks still say "back of town" meaning anything below the Quarter.

Some areas around St. Charles are very expensive and some are truly ghetto, depends on where you are as this is a long street (and it deadends at Canal St downtown and is parallet to it at Carrollton Ave).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans