U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:37 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,421,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
I didn't think about the fact that it wouldn't be able to live in the wild after being a pet. Maybe it would be better if I had the alligator in the pond with some fish so it would have to catch it's own food. I really care about animals and would never want to do something that would cause trouble for it. Maybe it would be better if I lived near a river where I could see alligators in the wild instead of having one as a pet.
Live on a swamp or bayou, and don't feed them. They will be better off having other gators as company and living as Nature intended.

My mother, who was born in N.O. in 1912, told me that when she was younger, no one admitted to eating alligator. It meant you were too poor to go buy groceries in the store and had to go out and shoot your meat! She was kaughing when alligator became chic to eat, in fine restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 PM

212 posts, read 843,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Live on a swamp or bayou, and don't feed them. They will be better off having other gators as company and living as Nature intended.

My mother, who was born in N.O. in 1912, told me that when she was younger, no one admitted to eating alligator. It meant you were too poor to go buy groceries in the store and had to go out and shoot your meat! She was kaughing when alligator became chic to eat, in fine restaurants.
Don't worry about me feeding them. I know that it is illegal to feed alligators. I'm sure they do just fine catching their own food.
There is a great New Orleans themed restaurant in my city called Buzzard Billy's. They serve alligator, and it is very tasty. Last time I was there I had an entree called Alligator Grand Chenier. It was sauteed alligator with onions in a thick gravy-like sauce. Yum! They also serve fried alligator, which is good too.

Last edited by alligatorboy; 09-23-2008 at 09:08 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,421,749 times
I used to go to the Alligator Festival in Bouttee, run by the local fire dept as a fund raiser. They had fried alligator and alligator sauce piquant (my favorite). They also had a youngish alligator, maybe 3 ft long, in a small pen and one of the guys would pick him up so you/children could touch him. Mouth taped shut of course. I used to joke that it felt just like alligator shoes - it was a very muscular animal. Don't know if they still have the festival since KAtrina, but it was fun. Lots of food and rides for the kids.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I used to go to the Alligator Festival in Bouttee, run by the local fire dept as a fund raiser. They had fried alligator and alligator sauce piquant (my favorite). They also had a youngish alligator, maybe 3 ft long, in a small pen and one of the guys would pick him up so you/children could touch him. Mouth taped shut of course. I used to joke that it felt just like alligator shoes - it was a very muscular animal. Don't know if they still have the festival since KAtrina, but it was fun. Lots of food and rides for the kids.
That sounds fun. I'll have to try alligator sauce piquant sometime. I have read recipes for it before, and it sounds really good. I actually watched an episode of "Dirty Jobs With Mike Rowe". Mike was in Cut Off, Louisiana with a guy that takes care of young alligators and decides which ones can go back in the wild. When Mike was checking the gender of the alligators, he found a white alligator. I had never seen a white alligator, but I had heard about them. The white alligator could not be released into the wild because it could be seen by it's prey, unlike most alligators who can blend in with the color of the water.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:10 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,632,621 times
When I was in middle school I had a friend who's family had every kind of pet there was to have. They had a tank of baby alligators in the kitchen for a bit before letting them go in the used to be swamp off of Paris Rd. Those things were LOUD; they made this gwap kind of noise.

I like the white meat deep fried.

PS. Alligatorboy you can visit white alligators at the aquarium downtown. http://www.auduboninstitute.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Aquarium_Exhibits (broken link)

Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
When I was in middle school I had a friend who's family had every kind of pet there was to have. They had a tank of baby alligators in the kitchen for a bit before letting them go in the used to be swamp off of Paris Rd. Those things were LOUD; they made this gwap kind of noise.

I like the white meat deep fried.

PS. Alligatorboy you can visit white alligators at the aquarium downtown. Audubon Nature Institute: (http://www.auduboninstitute.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Aquarium_Exhibits - broken link)
Thank you, Drouzin. That's interesting about the baby alligators.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:57 AM

22 posts, read 71,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
I was wondering: Do people in Louisiana keep alligators as pets? What happens when they are too big for a person to keep? Could you just take it to the nearest river/bayou/swamp and leave it there once it is too big to be kept as a pet?
Knew a Cajun guy who had a baby gator as a pet but once it got too big to keep in the KOI pond he took it out to the canal across the road. The alligator stayed in the canal and according to him never strayed more than a hundred yards or so from the house. A dwarf caiman would be more ideal than an alligator, they only grow up to five feet and are sold at reptile swaps.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
Knew a Cajun guy who had a baby gator as a pet but once it got too big to keep in the KOI pond he took it out to the canal across the road. The alligator stayed in the canal and according to him never strayed more than a hundred yards or so from the house. A dwarf caiman would be more ideal than an alligator, they only grow up to five feet and are sold at reptile swaps.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
I looked up some info on dwarf caimans, and they still sound too dangerous to have as a pet. I would rather have a dwarf crocodile as a pet.
Dwarf crocodiles | The Living Rainforest (http://www.livingrainforest.org/about/animals/dwarfcrocodile - broken link)

Old 10-14-2008, 12:03 AM

2,192 posts, read 6,413,621 times
It's against the law to keep gators as pets here, it's also against the law to feed them in the wild.

They get use to people then they have to be killed because they associate food with people and won't think twice about going after people looking for food.

The swamp tour boat operators use to feed them and we had a problem with gators trying to get into boats looking for food. The wild life agents put a stop to this.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or