Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:53 PM

258 posts, read 1,020,427 times

Advertisements

Foreign Policy: The List: Murder Capitals of the World

I just read a story about tow innocent people getting killed in midcity over the weekend and it makes my stomach turn.

I thought I was going to be happier than ever down here and when you see how people actually live here, it makes me want to pack my stuff and head elsewhere.
I used to not understand how people couldn't stay, I don't know what to do with myself let alone someone who's lived their whole life here.
The whole thing makes me sick.

It's either California,NYC or back to Chicago for me.
I have no plans on staying in New Orleans unless something drastically changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:40 AM

47 posts, read 161,989 times
It is what you make it. We moved from there about 6 months ago due to my husband changing jobs. We hated to leave. We found the town beautiful in it's history and culture. The people were friendly and open. We took advantage of what there was to offer.

That being said, after Katrina things were not the same. For us, our move was a move for the family to have a better life. Better schools and a better quality of life were what drove us back to the northeast. After 10 years in Southeast LA, we moved back to the area we were so ready to leave.

I can say this......I miss the good things more than the bad.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Despite having spent a lot of time there, I've never lived there. Friends of mine live in different areas of Uptown, and they're happy, and they've never told me they felt unsafe. They have a lot of pride in the city and I confess to feeling the same way, despite not being a native. And I've always felt safe there (I also don't ever go out late at night).

BUT, if you really don't feel safe, I understand where you're coming from. You can be in a place that is more safe and secure than NOLA is, but if you don't personally feel safe, it doesn't do you much good, IMO. So, if, for the sake of your well-being, you have to get out, I don't see why someone would argue with you.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 AM

We live uptown and our neighborhood is awful.
I think our personal situation has a lot to do with it but we'll see.
I'm not kidding when I'm completely confident that at some point gunshots will ring out on my block and it sucks to say I live on the corner where they'll likely happen.
I think the locals have noticed that we're calling the cops and asking for ride throughs.
As an act of GET OF MY STOOP and my corner is hopefully NOT going to turn into some kind of retaliatory issue.

I have moments where I really enjoy the cultural gifts but there is total give and take with this.
I'm considering "going on tour" for a while, just living in a place for a year or so and moving on.
I think it would be pretty cool to live in a few places before I settle back down up North.
27 with no ties aside from a lease and a cell bill isn't too bad.
Now, if I can just get this book put out, I'll be doing EVEN better.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
Miserylovescompany, it's amazing to look back through your posts and see the reality of NOLA set in. I lived in NOLA for 16yrs, my wife was born and raised there. It could be such a wonderful city but unfortunately it's not. Many reasons: blatant racism, lack of motivation, no big business, self centered thinking,etc. You will have to wait a long time to really see a change if there will be one for the better. We left after Katrina. Moved to Colorado, best thing we ever did. We still go back to NOLA often, but it's nice to leave as well. Have you thought about Colorado? It's awesome out here.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 PM

I need to be in a "big city" environment.
I'm 100% down to check CO out, but I'm doubtful I could handle the lifestyle.
I get annoyed with this place's lack of late night opportunities.
Not to say they don't have any but I've just gotta see it for myself.
Oh, and I hate snow. hahahaha

Old 10-11-2008, 05:16 PM

126 posts, read 471,372 times
I live in New Orleans and Mid-City and I love it and feel safe. We had almost 200 murders last year and of those only 9 were between non-acquaintances...all of the rest were between acquaintances and were drug related. I don't do drugs so, I feel fine. Lived here my entire life and have had no issues. For those that hate it so much, we prefer that they don't live here anyway. It's like eating a pile of great boiled crawfish...you throw away the dead ones with the long tails, but, enjoy the rest. We've got a few dead crawfish in New Orleans that we need to purge, but, overall, everybody here is pretty cool, happy, and life is alright in my book. I love the city.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 AM

159 posts, read 456,132 times
Misery, I would like to suggest that Atlanta is a good place to live and has the big city and nightlife you want. Of course, it's not perfect, but all around it is an affordable, friendly town. I live about 11 miles from downtown in a very nice area, close to everything. So much to offer and it has tons of good restaurants!

Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 PM

126 posts, read 471,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
Misery, I would like to suggest that Atlanta is a good place to live and has the big city and nightlife you want. Of course, it's not perfect, but all around it is an affordable, friendly town. I live about 11 miles from downtown in a very nice area, close to everything. So much to offer and it has tons of good restaurants!
I like Atlanta and visit often, but Atlanta has destroyed the environment for all of N. Georgia. It is a real travesty.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 PM

I have good days and bad days with NO.

I've been to ATL and I'd never leave NO for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans