U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,063,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
This is true to an extent. Maybe it's open to blue collar trades and other areas that needed help rebuilding, but it sure isn't welcoming to this 30's, upper middle class white girl working and going to grad school within the health professions. I can't name a high school I attended here, so I can't have a decent group of friends. I've been laughed out of places and shunned because I couldn't say "Dominican" or "Mount Carmel." I'm treated like an outsider at school and work because all anyone wants to do is gossip about old high school friends and talk about high school days. WTF? I've never lived in a place where high school was so darned important.

I have a few friends, but we're not the kind that are similar enough to hang out, we're just in the same "didn't go to high school here" boat. Whether you want to believe it or not, it's hindering our professional careers. Example: I'm better at XYZ job but Suzie gets it because she went to school at Mount Carmel with the boss's daughter (even though Suzie's screwed up XYZ job numerous times).

I have the utmost respect for pride, but this can be the biggest "small town" ever. I don't care to be any part of the social elite or in any stupid club, I just want a decent group of people in their mid-late 20's to early 40's (who live here) to hang out, chat it up, and go drinking with . Can you tell me where the younger professionals are who can set high school aside and try to get to know a friendly, super fun "outsider?"

Thanks for reading my personal ad.
504ward (504Ward)
or The YLC
or volunteer in the city

I still find that the burbs are much more closed than the city (there are thousands of young educated people here now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorada19 View Post
About the Latinos, I have spoken with many who have told me that they've been robbed, shot at and abused by blacks in general. From their recounting of events after Katrina they appeared overnight to help rebuild the city. They came to work and filled a void that was needed. They said they slept underneath bridges and anywhere since there weren't any hotels after Katrina. It's not like they leached off anybody's resources to be here. I can definitely sympathize with their trials and I do not condone such hostility towards them. I never like to carry stereotypes of people and presume that somebody behaving badly was raised wrong and/or chose to make wrong choices. However, I do believe that the blacks who harbor resentment towards Latinos need to take out their frustrations on the right people (e.g. politicians, President and other people who oppress them).
Apparently you've only spoken with Mexicans or the few hispanics that came after the storm. Most of NOLA's Hispanic community is from Central and South American and have been here for generations. Mexicans are the only ones who have faced the problems you've spoke of recently as they are the only ones who have shown up overnight. Even then Mexicans still don't make up the majority of the GNO's hispanic population. As cliche as it sounds, I have a handful of hispanic friends and none of them have had any serious problems.

Quote:
While I didn't expect NOLA and MS to be like the West Coast, I did expect people and the culture to be a lot more further along than what I have witnessed thus far.
Please elaborate because SoCal has long had a reputation of bad race (particularly black/white) relations.

Quote:
Regarding the handicapped situation I've been all over the country and people generally respect the disabled, but not here. So I will have to disagree on this. This place is not even in the 21st century when it comes to this segment of the population. Did you ever read about Delgado unceremoniously firing the only school's note taker for the disabled and his boss? They were fired due to politics inside the school, but mostly for suggesting the school deal with the disabled better. This incident took place several years ago.
We'll have to agree to disagree because I've been all over the country as well and haven't observed any noticeable difference. No, I'm not familiar with the Delgado situation. Still that could have happened in (insert city here) as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
but it sure isn't welcoming to this 30's, upper middle class white girl working and going to grad school within the health professions. I can't name a high school I attended here, so I can't have a decent group of friends.
30+, upper middle class pretty much says it all. This is the main group that I would expect have that mentality, especially if they grew up on the Uptown side of Canal St. The younger generations are definitely not like this IMO. It stays more so in that upper middle class range and once you get into the upper upper class the only thing that matters is what your bank statement says or who your grandfather was.

Quote:
I'm better at XYZ job but Suzie gets it because she went to school at Mount Carmel with the boss's daughter (even though Suzie's screwed up XYZ job numerous times).
I have the utmost respect for pride, but this can be the biggest "small town" ever.
These things are definitely true.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:51 AM

310 posts, read 773,880 times
I might live in the burbs, but I do everything in the city, including 2, 8 hour days of volunteering to immunize children who can't afford it and do screenings at several of the KIPP schools. My current attitude problems grew up in Lakeview and Chalmette. LOL! All joking aside, had a bad weekend with getting laughed at and left behind all because I've only been here for 5 years. Was just incredibly depressed and frustrated when I posted.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 AM

No offense but I'd be depressed if I lived in Kenner too.

It is not an area that lends itself to young single people.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,389,875 times
Quote:
All joking aside, had a bad weekend with getting laughed at and left behind all because I've only been here for 5 years. Was just incredibly depressed and frustrated when I posted.
It actually pisses me off to read that. Maybe they feel threatened to have a transplant give more to their own city than they do. I don't know, it's sad on their part either way.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 PM

310 posts, read 773,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
No offense but I'd be depressed if I lived in Kenner too.

It is not an area that lends itself to young single people.
I'm married so at least that makes Kenner bearable.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM

268 posts, read 664,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorada19 View Post
I just moved here a few months ago. Here are my beefs with NOLA:

Anyways, those are my 2 cents.
Congratulations Dorada, you just described America of the 21st Century.
There are a few nuggets in there that might be particular to NO, but what you are actually describing is
a combination of the youth of today and the kill or be killed mentality of American business today.
Times have changed. You must be my age, about 45. You still remember the OLD America.
I wish everything could be like it used to be, but I only run ME. I can't make people be
nice to the handicapped, be an honest shrimp vendor, circumvent the law, etc. After reading through
some of the other posts, I'd be willing to bet you are right in that Who you know or where you went
to school can get you a job, but that is America, too. And it's more Catholic than anything else.
I was the ONLY protestant in my entire elementary school. I was resented mostly because when THEY
all had catechism after school on Monday, they looked out the window to see me on my way HOME.
Of course, I had Sunday School, but they HATED ME for it.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 AM

268 posts, read 664,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
I've been in NOLA for 2 months. I have met plenty of nice people, haven't had anyone be rude to me white or black, haven't been scammed. Coming from the Midwest, I actually love how black and white seem to mingle down here. You have racism everywhere, but I feel it a lot less in New Orleans than I have elsewhere.
To me this says it all. A LOT has changed in NO since the storm came through,
but a lot of it can never be changed. It's a fantastic place. Anyone who is having a bad time
might be expecting all of their new cities they move to to conform to them rather than the other
way around. As soon as they have seen enough of things they personally do not care for or are not
used to, it's off to the races on "This sucks and that sucks'" This city has been one way for nearly
300 years or more. Modern times have had very little impact on the cities core values and
modus operandi. You either totally get it, like Brad Pitt and John Goodman, or you move on to
the next town and hope it is more to your liking. Maybe Atlanta would be better for you?

I mention John Goodman and Brad Pitt because they came in, drank the water, and the city
washed over them like a spring flood. These guys are not southerners by any means. They
just came here and the city spoke to their souls and they were hooked. Of course, they have
the money to breach any barriers of where they went to school and who their Daddy was.
But the point is more that they felt the rhythm and the soul and the spirit of the city and they
went WITH it, not against it.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM

I hope they didn't drink the tap water.

Abita Springs/Kentwood/Osarka for me.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM

361 posts, read 986,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Seems with such "ignorant, drunk" competition a person could achieve all their goals and then some. Maybe it's not the city...
The only major goals you can achieve in New Orleans is seeing how much you can drink in one night without throwing up, or driving through some slum and making it out without at least getting verbally assaulted. There is 0 opportunity here, and that can be attributed to the ignorant/crime infested population that inhabits the city. Luckily, I just moved out of New Orleans 3 days ago and haven't looked back yet, so you all won't have to worry about some stuck up "yankee" ruining your daiquiri hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or