Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 PM

27 posts, read 89,965 times

Advertisements

I am taking my boyfriend to New Orleans for his 50th next month and I want it to be unforgettable! So any suggestions on where to go/what to do and especially where a great dinner is? We are staying at the Marriott on Canal. I want to focus on the French Quarter. Suggestions? All ideas welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Get a Zagat's and look for the type of food/ambiance/price range you want. There are a LOT of choices.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM

I was hoping for some local input on the "off the beaten path" places for dinner and places to go. Zagat is great but I am looking for all sorts of options.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
If you want something fancy, then check out Zagat's and pay for the reputation. A really great place to eat and drink that's far enough off the beaten path is Coop's Place on Decatur Street. It's really more a bar, and has a bar atmosphere, if you are okay with that you will get amazing Creole food for a fraction of the price compared to the "brand name" spots. From the Marriott you head down Decatur, deep into the French Quarter, and Coop's is near Esplanade and Margaritaville (a place you DON'T want to eat at!).

Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
Mmm, lucky husband! I'll echo the praise for Coops Place, also for a local flavor try Deja Vu at the corner of Conti and Dauphine in the heart of the FQ. As for places to go, if hubby is a music fan, try a wander down Frenchmen St. You can walk there from Coops pretty easily but it might be an idea to cab it back. There's a myriad of music venues to choose from, and it's where the locals go to watch and play. You're bound to meet some great folks there. If you're after a late-night supper, try '13' at 517 Frenchmen. They often run out of a lot of things (mind you, our regular eating time there was about 3am!) but it's part of the fun. Making me hungry just thinking about it.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
We like Oceana Grill on Conti off Bourbon St. It's in an old tired-looking lot but we love the food. Their BBQ Shrimp (if you don't know what it is, it's NOT what you think) is to die for, and so is their bread-pudding. Service can be spotty.

If you decide to go there, do question the prices of the "specials". It doesn't necessarily mean cheaper, as we found out one night when we saw the bill.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:43 PM

Thanks all! This is a start and I think Frenchmen St is a must do.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:43 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
You might consider doing for him what we did for our old 1SGT's 60th wedding anniversary.

We booked a steam boat ride, then sneaked a cake on board, with the connivance of the boat crew. We then tipped the band to suddenly stop playing and call them out of the crowd for the surprise cake.

It went over wonderfully and they'll never forget it. The crew was more than happy to accomnodate us and it took everyone by surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: