Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,339 times

Advertisements

I have been checking out the blogs here for a few weeks and can't believe how different the opinions are. Some love LA, some can't wait to get out. My family is seriously considering a move in March 2009. Currently we live in South Dakota - the frozen wasteland.

If you love LA, tell me why and where.

If you want out, tell me why.

I'm interested in hearing it all. Please keep in mind, we have a 12 year old son.

THANKS ALL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 03:16 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
I love Louisiana Because it is home. I grew up here and I would be miserable without it. If I ever moved away I think I would even miss some of the things others consider drawbacks. I would especially miss the food. I can't live someplace that doesn't have fresh crawfish or real gumbo. The only part of Louisiana that I don't care for is the northeastern region. There's close to nothing up there. My favorite regions are the Baton Rouge and New Orleans areas.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:22 PM

258 posts, read 1,020,738 times
New Orleans is for me, is like a gun.
One bullet is amazing and full of culture and amazing people.
The other is insane and scary with unexplainable murders etc...

You've gotta do the homework before you can just jump down here and dig right in.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
I love Louisiana because.. for 1 it is home. Having the oppurtunity to experience a handful of different places, out of every place I've been I can't think of anywhere I would want to be. I love NOLA and I couldn't even imagine living in another part of Louisiana. There are too many things that are indicative to this area that life is hard anywhere else until you adjust. The food the tradition everything is just unique. There are alot of things you can only find here from the stuff in the groc. store to just everyday routines (IMO its like a mixture of caribbean, cajun, creole, french, american, european, hatian culture all rolled into one in NOLA) . This area does have a ton of problems (crime, politics, hurricanes, education, housing, etc...) it just tends to make the people here more resilient. I have always felt safe and have never had any major problems. I love Louisiana and New Orleans to death and do not plan on leaving anytime soon, It's just a feel you can't get anywhere else.

I'm more familiar with Southeast LA and somewhat Southwest LA so thats what comes to mind when i think of Louisiana but the Northern part of the state is a completely different world from what I understand, but I've heard great things about it.

As far as the 12 year old, I don't know anything about the schools in Baton Rouge or North LA but if you plan on coming to NOLA check out Private school (there are a few o.k.-good public schools, but Private School is just a product of NOLA's cultural/socialization.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:08 AM

59 posts, read 167,120 times
well it's not dull.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 AM

247 posts, read 1,109,663 times
Default Why not Mobile, AL - the first French colony before New Orleans?

Have you thought about other cities close by, with a similar vibe? With an incredible economy? Do you have a choice? My aunt and godmother lives on Royal Street in the French Quarter so I'm pretty familiar. She's getting out herself. Many companies have transferred people from NO to here in Mobile.

Mobile, Alabama is actually older than New Orleans
(Mobile founded in 1702 versus New Orleans' 1718). We are THE French colony and Bienville lived here trying to make this place work for a long time. He arranged for nice girls (Cassette girls) raised in convents to come over here- to Mobile- to be wives for the soldiers. To get NO going, the jails of Paris were emptied. There's a thought about "why is the crime rate so high?" There was a lot of worry in the beginning of NO's future about families making sure there were no thoughts that THEY were from the prostitutes or criminals.

We started the original Mardi Gras (Krewe of Comus was actually started by some Mobile men who were in the Cowbellion de Rakins of Mobile) and have the same food since we were the capital of La Lousiana for a while in the beginning. And we are 35 minutes away from a decent beach at Dauphin Island. Because of course, you know that the further you get from the Mississippi River, the clearer the water will finally get. We have fresh crawfish, jambalaya and gumbo. Same semi-tropical vibe and lots of old homes. We once had what New Orleans had and even older than French Quarter, but sadly we tore it down. One of the problems with Mobile is they are too fond of progress. If you go to the Mobile section under Alabama's forum, you can see some pictures at the top of the forum.

I grew up on the Mississippi Gulf Coast , which was also a French outpost. But I love Mobile. It's bigger for one thing, than MS Gulf Coast.

One thing I always notice about New Orleans, is that a lot of people don't seem to take care of their houses. It's junky. After Katrina, when you drove from Mississippi into Louisiana, there is immediately trash all over the place. We like to go over there to have fun but it's just sad how trashy people let things get there on a regular basis.

We've had several friends who had to transfer there recently. We all feel very bad for them. They hate it. The crime is out of control and always has been. Like NO , we do have a lot of black on black crime, but not with the intensity seen over there.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:50 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,339 times
Not sure why I chose La, just did. Something pulls at me, I guess.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:53 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,866 times
I'm a Louisiana native and lived there for the first 23 years of my life, but I have not lived there since 1976 (except for 8 months in 1985). I still love Louisiana because of the people, the culture, and the food. I lived in the New Orleans metro area for 14 years until 1976, but I would never move to that area or anywhere in south Louisiana again because of the yearly threat of hurricanes. New Orleans still has not fully recovered since Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005. I've heard that crime is rampant in some parts of New Orleans and much of the police force is corrupt.

I still have relatives in Louisiana and I will return there for visits as often as I can, but I will probably never live there again.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 PM

65 posts, read 381,343 times
Snowbird, I heard an interesting tidbit about Louisiana while listening to WWL radio (the New Orleans station 870 AM), of the current population, 80% were born here and we have 20% transplants. We are the number one state with locals- as opposed to Nevada which has 20% locals and 80% transplants. I'd like to think that is a good characteristic--others may not and I can see their point. But with that fact in mind, I would like to think that it reflects a strong sense for family. I like the friendly nature of the people down here. It's the good natured folks down here that make this a nice place to live and raise a family-take that and the love to cook and eat anything found down here and make eating a social event--where can you go wrong? That's what I like-- I grew up here since the early 1950's when south Louisiana was truly rural and that is what I miss-words can't describe the beauty and atmosphere--it was quiet and peaceful-there are just too many people living here now. I guess it's time for me to go the the elephant graveyard.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
You better love humidity to live there! It's rarely under 90% in the summer and the way it's calculated, you can actually have 95 temp and 110% humidity reported on the TV news. Does stepping outside and being instantly covered in sweat appeal to you? Want to get rashes in places you never knew you could get a rash? If yes, then New Orleans is the place for you! I was born there, lived there most of my life, but not now. Would not go back after KAtrina and my last relative is trying to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans