Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM

212 posts, read 901,291 times

Advertisements

I would like to live in New Orleans someday, and I would like to hear from anyone who has visited/lived or is still living there: What are some general things I should know about New Orleans if I do move there(jobs,housing, cultural aspects, problems the city is facing)? I have never been in a hurricane or even a flood before, so I would probably be nervous when one is coming. I'm not going to let that scare me away from living in NO though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 PM

46 posts, read 189,970 times
I LOVE NEW ORLEANS!
I just couldn't live there.
It really depends on what you are looking for.
If it is the party atmosphere that is drawing you there. Then obviously the Quarter or the Garden District is where you would want to be. Just be aware that it is uber expensive in both locations. Also a lot of locals will rent out their homes during things like Mardi Gras, Voodoo, and Jazz fest and go somewhere else to not have to deal with the madness.
I hear the job market is not that bad if you're in a professional/manager type situation due to people not returning after Katrina.
The city is so diverse, and has so many different types of people. That is one of the things I love most about it. The city is just so colorful and full of life. Everytime I'm there I feel like I am home.
You do have to be very wary of some people though. Just be cautious. Never make a bet with anyone regarding your shoes. (Ask some locals to elaborate on that one.)
Unfortunatley I will probably never have the money to live there, and I could find myself in a lot of trouble if I did. So I will just continue to visit as often as I can.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
lol at the shoe thing.

It really depends on what you think you will be looking to get out of NOLA when you decide to make the move. Do you wanna be at the center of the party in the French Quarter, a quiet little house on a side street in the Garden District, or a cookie cutter home in Metairie. Would you be going to school, working downtown, etc.

NOLA has always had a crime problem and probably always will, but you can dramatically lower your risk of being a victim by not associating with drug dealers and/or gang members. Make sure you have locks on your doors and an alarm system couldn't hurt. Don't leave anything out in the yard that you can't bear to lose. Don't leave electronics, money, etc. in your car. New Orleans' crime is unlike other cities in Louisiana in that it isn't localized to one particular section of the city. For example, in my city, Baton Rouge, the dividing line between the "good" area and the "bad" area is Florida Boulevard. In New Orleans, bad neighborhoods are sprinkled around throughout the city.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
Quote:
Don't leave electronics, money, etc. in your car.
I had to laugh, this reminds me of a friend who lived over by Delgado. His car had been broken into twice and his beloved CDs had been stolen. He had some new ones made up, (home made), and wrote on the labels things like, "Bird Calls of the Western Bobolink," and wouldn't you know even those were stolen when he was hit the third time. While it fustrated him to no end; I thought it was funny. Perhaps the thief was a bird watcher.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
lol at the shoe thing.

It really depends on what you think you will be looking to get out of NOLA when you decide to make the move. Do you wanna be at the center of the party in the French Quarter, a quiet little house on a side street in the Garden District, or a cookie cutter home in Metairie. Would you be going to school, working downtown, etc.

NOLA has always had a crime problem and probably always will, but you can dramatically lower your risk of being a victim by not associating with drug dealers and/or gang members. Make sure you have locks on your doors and an alarm system couldn't hurt. Don't leave anything out in the yard that you can't bear to lose. Don't leave electronics, money, etc. in your car. New Orleans' crime is unlike other cities in Louisiana in that it isn't localized to one particular section of the city. For example, in my city, Baton Rouge, the dividing line between the "good" area and the "bad" area is Florida Boulevard. In New Orleans, bad neighborhoods are sprinkled around throughout the city.
I would live in the French Quarter, but the only area I could afford is the area near North Rampart Street, which I have heard is very dangerous.
I would like to see an alligator every now and then, so I thought I might live somewhere like Westwego or Slidell. I would probably get an alarm system if I live in New Orleans.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
I had to laugh, this reminds me of a friend who lived over by Delgado. His car had been broken into twice and his beloved CDs had been stolen. He had some new ones made up, (home made), and wrote on the labels things like, "Bird Calls of the Western Bobolink," and wouldn't you know even those were stolen when he was hit the third time. While it fustrated him to no end; I thought it was funny. Perhaps the thief was a bird watcher.
I can't believe someone would steal homemade cds. I wonder how much a cd with bird calls would be worth on the black market.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM

46 posts, read 189,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
I would live in the French Quarter, but the only area I could afford is the area near North Rampart Street, which I have heard is very dangerous.
Depends on where you are on North Rampart.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:42 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
North Rampart definitely has some issues. Treme (North of French Quarter) can be a pretty rough neighborhood, but you could do worse.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:08 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
Quote:
I can't believe someone would steal homemade cds. I wonder how much a cd with bird calls would be worth on the black market.
Exactly! G never saw the humor in the situation, but man, we laughed our butts off .

BTW: G got one of those car radios that can be removed from the car when you park after the first robbery, (just a helpful hint for those who have had a similar problem).

Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 AM

19 posts, read 94,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
North Rampart definitely has some issues. Treme (North of French Quarter) can be a pretty rough neighborhood, but you could do worse.
They've recently put camera's on Rampart so as to deter crime, and it's helped!

Quote:
You know, being close to the Iberville or Rampart at Canal isn't great, but none of these areas are war zones. If you are frightened by a little crime, I suggest you either get a big dog, an indoor parking space, or an apartment with a riverfront view.

I'm a believer in it's more how you live rather than where in this town. That said, I wouldn't send anyone who didn't know the area off into the 7th ward, Treme, the 9th ward, central city, etc.

But, yeah, some really nice people live on Rampart. It's also home to the 1st District (the WORST District) Police Station. Not a beautiful street, but part of it is technically part of the Vieux Carré.

Just be smart, and you'll be fine!

Last edited by MissCookieMoses; 07-23-2008 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Added in a quote; neatened it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans