U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 36,991 times

Advertisements

I'm a singer/songwriter presently based in New Jersey. Recently, I wrote a little 60's feeling pop pop ditty called, "Terrytown." Prior to this, I had no idea that such a place existed. (I did a bit of Google research after the fact)

When I write, the lyrics often just sort of flow out naturally, as if, (Without trying to sound to deep) "They're guided by some deep internal or perhaps external force." (Hmm, intense, huh?)

So tell me, oh great folks of Lousiana, what is Terrytown?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 PM

732 posts, read 2,745,395 times
When I lived in New Orleans in the late 70s and early 80s, it was just a dumpy little unincorporated West Bank suburb, near Gretna in Jefferson Parish. Lower to middle class families, nothing special, you had to drive through it from where we lived (New Orleans West Bank) to get to Oakwood Shopping Center, otherwise there was no reason for you to be there. I seem to recall from school it was often the target of derision from anyone who didn't live there.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:22 PM

Default Terrytown...

Thanks for the reply. Sounds a little more colorful than I'd imagined--that's a good thing!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,632,084 times
I always thought Terrytown was a nice little neighborhood, (at least some spots), where some of the houses have that uber 1960's design. A friend of my sis lives there and their roof looks like it belongs on a fast food restaurant.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:46 PM

I like that, the, "uber 60's" comment, sort of fits much of the music we do.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:00 PM

258 posts, read 940,252 times
Terrytown....ugh.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:46 PM

Ha!! Good answer. Sounds like you've had a positive experience or two.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:58 AM

177 posts, read 739,420 times
I would be careful about the opinion of someone who lived on the eastbank (New Orleans) because most of them have never even been to the Westbank (Terrytown, Gretna, etc.), they just like to insult it. Since it is unincorporated, Terrytown doesn't have a quaint city hall or a downtown or a police department. It is policed by the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. There are some nice neighborhoods and some not so nice neighborhoods just like everywhere else but it is much more middle class than lower. There are far worse places on the Westbank as well as the Eastbank. There are generally not any areas where entire streets of houses should be torn down like there are in New Orleans (although Formosan termites can eat one up pretty quick if left untreated). I agree that most of the houses were built in the 60s and 70s.

Offhand I can't think of any buildings taller than 3 floors. 50 years ago it was mostly wooded area and was a popular hunting ground (hence the name of one of its streets, "Deerfield"). Most Westbank parades during Mardi Gras go through Terrytown. Although the crime could always be better, it's not nearly as bad as New Orleans.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:13 AM

Default Terrytown

Doogie:

Thanks for your thoughtful and informative reply. I am wrong to suggest that I'm sensing a bit of good ol' fashioned American class warfare regarding Terrytown?

"Deerfield." Isn't it funny how we name things after what used to be there?

Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 03:34 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,389,875 times
People on the Eastbank just don't look at anything on the Westbank in a positive light even though there are areas on the Westbank that are nicer than those on the Eastbank, while the people on the Westbank tend to think of it as the Bestbank. When I lived on the eastbank I always heard things like "We let 'em think its the best bank so they'll stay over there".

But as far as Terrytown I think that it's an ok place. Nothing special, but definately not one of the bad spots. Maybe you should look at the area with the google maps streetview to get a better idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or