U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:02 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,303,979 times

Advertisements

We usually leave, but when we don't we just go to a couple of parades in Metairie, plus the Orpheus ball since we have friends very involved in Orpheus. We wouldn't be caught dead in the Quarter close to Mardi Gras.

Mostly we go to work, live, eat, sleep, do laundry, pay bills, and run errands as always but get stuck waiting for parades if we aren't careful and clever. For us, Carnival season is not a vacation or holiday - - we live here and so we have things to do and obligations. Which is not to say that we don't have fun too. We just can't party all the time like the tourists do. Got to pick and choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,418,776 times
Yes, I figured that, NOLA2SGF, thats why I wondered if any residents actually stayed during that time. But of course, you still gotta work and do the everyday stuff- I remember how frustrating it was here in the leadup to the Olympics, and the Grand Prix when it was in Adelaide. We shall do our best to be inoffensive and not in the way...if that's possible?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM

195 posts, read 1,000,655 times
Someday I want to see Carnival. I'll be there someday. Obviously, as in any place a celebration that happens there gets old after awhile to people that live there, and people just go about their daily lives- I know people from the N.O area that think that. That is true anyplace of local celebrations.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 AM

19,866 posts, read 58,421,749 times
Since you'll be there for 10 days (assuming since you said the whole period), you'll have time to take a tour up river of the plantation houses. The ones outside Baton Rouge, Nottaway, is a must-see. They have a restaurant out back which serves good food.

Do take one of the river tours, go to the foot of Canal St. and see what's being offered. The Chalmette Battlefield is featured on one of the tours, you take a boat down, tour the site, then take a later boat back.

Visit the lakefront and see some of the devastation still left in the Lakeview area.

Drive across the river to the national park swamp site, can't think of the name, where rangers take you on hikes pointing out all the wildlife. Take the ferry across the river to Algiers and walk through Algiers Point. See Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras warehouse. Take the ferry back (leaves from the foot of Canal St.).

Old 11-11-2008, 11:35 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,632,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Yes, I figured that, NOLA2SGF, thats why I wondered if any residents actually stayed during that time. But of course, you still gotta work and do the everyday stuff- I remember how frustrating it was here in the leadup to the Olympics, and the Grand Prix when it was in Adelaide. We shall do our best to be inoffensive and not in the way...if that's possible?
It's the parades that are in the way, not you Jacq! Some businesses have to close early etc. so that people can get home from work and you have to plan your day around avoiding getting stuck in parade traffic and if you live near the parade route you have to deal with masses of people parking in front of your driveway, or in your regular spot.

When I lived near City Park and the Endymon route, we didn't move the car for two or three days for fear of having to walk 8 blocks to get back to the house. I must say that was the best darn place to be for the parade despite the inconviences

I'm convinced that parades are why NOLAites always take the back streets when there is traffic.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:22 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,418,776 times
Thanks Sthnbelle, we'll do all of what you suggested, we're there for 21 days, woohoo!

Gee, those pesky parades eh Drou?

Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 PM

258 posts, read 940,353 times
I live way uptown, I'll just walk down to the parade route.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:39 PM

166 posts, read 634,031 times
What are the dates for Mardi Gras 2009 if you all don't mind me asking?

Old 11-19-2008, 05:17 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,632,621 times
Feb. 24th this year. I like it when it's later; carnival season seems so rushed when it's early.

New Orleans Mardi Gras Dates

Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 AM

166 posts, read 634,031 times
Drouzin- Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans