U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:55 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,419,159 times

Advertisements

I know loads of you will no doubt leave, or would like to, but I'd like to know a few insider's secrets for those of us coming over to celebrate with y'all. Any must-see parades? Balls? Day escapes? Things to do on Frenchman/s St?? (and other streets of course!) Things one really really should avoid? Yes, I drink, so I'll venture back onto Bourbon Street.
Don't worry about budget/where we're staying at this stage, I'm kind of looking for a brainstorm here, and we're pretty adaptable/flexible/eager for fun! Not very conservative..I mean, if you travel 1/2 way round the world you gotta be a little bit open!
Laisser les bon temp roulez! (hope I got that right)
TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:40 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,633,013 times
Leave?! On my favorite holiday?! Are you kidding?!! My favorite parades are Le Krewe d'Etat, and Krewe du Vieux. They celebrate my love of satire and scarcasim. Endymion is the big parade to catch imho although some would say Bacchus.

As for Balls, I think you may be able to get tickets for some of the super krews like Endymion and Bacchus, but for the most part it's invitation only so you'd have to know a member of the krew to be invited.

Neato, you're coming to town!!

Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,545 times
Default advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I know loads of you will no doubt leave, or would like to, but I'd like to know a few insider's secrets for those of us coming over to celebrate with y'all. Any must-see parades? Balls? Day escapes? Things to do on Frenchman/s St?? (and other streets of course!) Things one really really should avoid? Yes, I drink, so I'll venture back onto Bourbon Street.
Don't worry about budget/where we're staying at this stage, I'm kind of looking for a brainstorm here, and we're pretty adaptable/flexible/eager for fun! Not very conservative..I mean, if you travel 1/2 way round the world you gotta be a little bit open!
Laisser les bon temp roulez! (hope I got that right)
TIA.
u must see three big parades! Rex, Zulu, & Endymion. Rex & Zulu on Fat tuesday and endymion on sat. before Mardi gra. Zulu ball. Mon. would be the day escape go through the quarters get drinks, po boys, red beans;;;; don't wounder to far off the streets of the french quarters. I'm a world traveler too so I know the unknown feeling have fun.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM

19,866 posts, read 58,428,652 times
Not sure how much time you will be there. On Mardi Gras Day, catch Zulu and Rex downtown then wander into the Quarter. Just seeing the people in the streets is a spectacle in itself. If you have time during the day (not MGD of course), take a swamp tour from the foot of Canal St. or ride the streetcar uptown, Get off at Audubon PArk and walk around. If you have lots of time, walk over to the Zoo and see it. Then take the streetcar back downtown. Wander through the Quarter and JAckson Square in the day, see the sights, visit the museums, eat wherever it smells good. Don't forget to have cafe au lait and beignets near Jackson Square. HAve fun but be safe - stay with crowds and don't get so drunk you are not aware of what's going on around you.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Thanks so much everyone. We're there for the duration of Carnival, so have a fair bit of time to play. I've had beignets @ Cafe du Monde, which was a mistake b/c I keep getting cravings for them now.
Dont worry Sthnbelle, we will be careful to stay aware..we wanna be able to remember it all.
We'd also like to explore the bayous as well, we may hire a car towards the end of our stay and drive it back to L.Angeles.

So, a lot of locals stay in town then? I was hoping for that - last time we were there coincided with Sugar Bowl. I think I may have seen 1 or 2 tourists, who were slightly drunk.
Thanks again for your time, really appreciate it.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,392,036 times
Endymion

Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,762 times
DO NOT miss Lundi Gras. Spend the day on walking around the quarter on both Royal and Bourbon, alot less crowded, and just more pleasant. Then head over to Spanish Plaza at the Riverfront for some great music and loads of fun. Then head to Canal to catch Krewe of Orpheus. It's a laid back day and has become more of a favorite for my family, or just the adults, than Fat Tuesday itself.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks evildiva, we appreciate more low-key suggestions too.
Endymion, that returned this year after a post-Katrina absence yeah? Look fwd to it, thanks Westbank.
Think we're gonna be staying on Bienville St, btn. Bourbon and Dauphine. Pretty central.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:10 PM

47 posts, read 146,541 times
We will miss Mardi Gras this year and I think that is the number one thing about our move we just can't get over. My husband and I both belonged to Krewes on the Northshore and I can tell you that we spent the season in full force. My favorite downtown parsde is Orphiyus. The floats are just beautiful. The first year we lived there we spent Mardi Gras in the french quarter iin costume. It was a great time to see the sites. And there are lots of them!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM

258 posts, read 940,471 times
I think we actually got a balcony on Bourbon this year.

That's gonna be really fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans