Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times

Advertisements

This is how the city can regain its rightful place as the Queen city of the South.

1. Aggresively go after more business for the port
2. Partner with Tulane, Dillards, Xavier, and LSU to get better Master and PHD programs
3. Get a business leader as mayor-Like Bloomberg in NYC
4. Crime, get National Guard to do a Marshall Plan in high crime area. All offenders will be put to work cleaning up the city.
5. Go after business to relocate to abandoned areas and give the land free and some tax abatement
6.Aggressively use your strength in the Restaurant and Hotel Business to go after conventions
7. Make sure Trump bills that Tower because that could be a symbol of NOLA resurgence
8. You old line whites got to get over racism, same goes for the black. Sicilians, Afri Amer, Creoles, Irish , German and Spanish lets bring the cultures together.
9. People believe and have confidence in the greatest city ever in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 02:33 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,804 times
Hindsight is 20/20

The city is on an upswing but it's dealing with "growing pains" right now.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
A big thing would be to remove those 'New Orleans style roadblocks' that prevent/hinder new businesses. Too many folks with their hands out, makes new businesses stay away. Much less hassle doing business out of Houston.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
NOLA leaders have one hand out and the other in the piggy bank. New Orleans cannot move foward unless we get rid of this corruption and incompetence. Instead of choosing the good candidate over the crooked candidate, we get to choose between the Criminal or the Idiot with connections. I love this city to death and will defend it until I die, but Hollywood couldn't make up the stuff that passes for normal at city hall (Head v. White, The lawyer arrested because two judges had a fight, SDT, Dollar Bill Jefferson, the Cynthia hyphens, etc.) and it's tiring. I mean care was supposed to forget and we're supposed to be so laid back but I can't remember the last time the big easy was that easy.

Things are definitely changing Post-K, some for the better, others I don't know. NOLA has some of the best people around but are over-shadowed by the ignorance the reigns here.

imaterry78259 you have some good ideas
I feel that corruption and education (which creates our crime problem) are the cities biggest problems.. but I often wonder just how can it be done because it seems like after u wipe away one layer and older moldier one lies below.

We'll get there eventually.. We just need more of the good people to step up.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 11-24-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 07:47 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Quote:
I love this city to death and will defend it until I die, but Hollywood couldn't make up the stuff that passes for normal at city hall
Yeah, but you gotta admit you miss that wacky ole Sandra Hester and her Hester Report, bless her heart

Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
What has become of the Paris of America. what happened to the Trump Tower?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 AM

In all honesty Ima, I just don't think many locals are thrilled with the prospect of the Trump Tower right now. We've all heard about cranes in the sky and many other pipe dreams and are quite cynical of any project presented by an outsider since the storm. I can pretty much tell you how this is going to go: 1. We're (as a general collective) going to knock the project because of a lack of New Orleansess in style, the fear of having just another Trump McTower, or/and because it will affect other businesses, (or you can pick your own excuse). 2. We're going to sit back and watch while some attempts are made to block the project and gossip about that Head vs. White incident over coffee. 3. If/when the thing goes up we'll all join in lauding the project and celebrating with some kind of party. Natives hate change, but much of the time will eventually accept and then somehow make a party/celebration out of it in the end.

Kinda like the Brad Pitt 9th ward houses, no one liked the design, the T-P did an article on how they were very un New Orleans and more California, then the issue was put on the back burner for other things say, like a fight in the kitchen of Commander's Palace, (making that one up), and once they were built there was a party and they are reviewed in the T-P by local artists as, well... very artistic. (I still think they look California, but they're an anomaly and so in true New Orleans style I am amused and accept them for being quirky.)

People have told me we're a fickle people; I don't know, I think we're pretty predictable, (dislike of change, indifference, eventual acceptance with party/celebration). BTW the tower is supposed to be up in 09'. If it were a project by a local, we would pretty much say 2019, but being done by an out of towner, maybe the thing will be up by 09', (said with much healthy skepticism).

Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Drou, I don't think NOLA people are any more 'fickle' than anyone else, but you guys have sooo much more of a unique heritage to hang onto. There's such a fine line between 'progress' and homogenization these days. Shiny new buildings are not the only way to help a region grow. I don't think New Orleans is, or will, stagnate. From my POV it has waaaaay too much character. Long may it last.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
There's such a fine line between 'progress' and homogenization these days.
Oh you are so right; this is a major fear for all of us. Most of us freaked out when they said they were going to allow a Starbucks coffee shop on Jackson Square. Imagine a Starbucks just down the street from Cafe' Du Monde! What's next; an Olive Garden next to Antoine's?

Maybe we're fickle in a more dramatic way? After the Battle of New Orleans Andrew Jackson was the "Savior of New Orleans." There were balls, parties, etc. thrown in his honor to celebrate his leadership. A little while later we threw him in jail because we didn't like his leadership and blamed him for the few deaths that occured during the battle. Some time passed and there was a statue erected and the Place du Arms was renamed Jackson Square and I attended Andrew Jackson Highschool in Chalmette. Loved then hated, then loved again. No wonder Ole Hickory headed back to TN and probably was cursing us under his breath all the way back .

Old 11-26-2008, 10:02 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Ah, he was probably just a tad confused..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans