Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 21,098 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My name is Heather and we are supposed to be moving to Belle Chasse. I don't have any other details right now. My husband is in the Marine Corps and is supposed to be assigned to Marine Air Group 42 Det C. I have been trying to research the area such as base housing and schools and can't seem to find anything. We have children 12, 11, 7(lives with his mom), and 14 months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I stay at home for now so daycare is not an issue. My main concern is housing and schools. We live off base where we are now, but if base housing is decent we would probably live there. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
I don't know much, but I do know that Belle Chasse is supposed to be an alright place. Didn't flood during Katrina, and I don't think that it ever flooded in any of the hurricanes before that. Just looked it up and the Belle Chasse schools were rated 9 out of a possible 10 based on test scores according to www.greatschools.net

Old 12-03-2008, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 14,035 times
Belle Chasse is the choice of a lot of military families coming to NAS JRB. There is an on base school (Belle Chasse Academy) in addition to the public schools. Sorry, I don't know about the availability of base housing, but you can call the base housing unit at 504-678-3280 for more information.

Last edited by lisaheindel; 12-03-2008 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-12-2008, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 7,740 times
I am also getting ready to move to Belle Chasse. I have two kids and expecting. I would like to know more about the area.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:53 AM

177 posts, read 792,570 times
Belle Chasse is a decent area and does have some of the better schools in the area. It is located on a small strip of land between the Mississippi River delta and swamp / lakes / bays. There is one main highway, Hwy. 23, that goes south down the river. On the north side of Belle Chasse is Terrytown and is all suburban area. To the south is a bunch of very small farms as well as a big refinery (Chevron's Oak Point). The area is sometimes referred to as the "citrus highway" because a significant number of crops are grown there including orange, lemon, grapefruit and some awesome mandarin / satsumas, etc. Tomatoes, cabbage, cucmbers squash and many other crops are also grown just south of Belle Chasse. Most of the land is dominated by the Becnel family. World class fishing is also just minutes away so don't forget your fishing poles and license. The biggest thing in Belle Chasse is the base so you'll be right in the mix if you live there.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 7,582 times
Hi! Not sure if you already relocated or not.. but.. We currently live in Belle Chasse, and also a Marine Family. My husband works on NAS JRB and we live on the base here. I, personally, didn't want to live in Algiers on the other base. Still unsure about the possibility of buying a house here.. as I would prefer to stay in Belle Chasse for the school district. The public schools in Belle Chasse have good ratings. Right now, my daughter goes to the Charter school on base. It goes from K-8. The base is small. Not sure where you're coming from, but, we moved from Cherry Point. There isn't a commisary here yet, but one is being built. You can go to the one on algiers, it's only maybe a 20 minute drive. There's a gym on base, a pool, teen center, bowling alley, SMALL NEX, but again, another is being built. Belle Chasse is a small town, but I absolutely adore this town. I love the people. As for housing, Well, I would gladly email pics to you if you'd like. We have a 4 bedroom townhouse. OR, you can look online at Patricianmanagement.com. We left our house in NC, and I miss it. The yards are super tiny here. We don't have the space we had before. I dislike being connected to my neighbor. But, for the rentals I have found that I'd rent in Belle Chasse, they are about 5-600 over BAH. Once you move on base though, you HAVE to stay a year. I miss a Marine Corps base.. but.. I'm originally from Louisiana, so , I do enjoy being 'home'. I'd be glad to answer any questions I could. Good luck in the move!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 27,157 times
You are probably here based on the date of this post, but also a Marine Family here too!

Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM

268 posts, read 743,773 times
I am glad to hear that you adore the town of Belle Chasse. As a former LA boy, I too could love
almost any town because the people are genuine. But now kids do not do what kids used to do
when I was there age. ALL I WANTED to do was fish and ride my bike. Whew, scary nowadays.
But in the other thread, a young lady mentioned finding a house in Harvey, and I could not imagine
a nice place there. Pretty industrial. But what do I know, I would ride by in a car on the WBE.
I think when personal knowledge falls short, err on the side of Coon a$$es are great people at heart.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,084 times
Moving to Belle Chase in April of 2012. My husband is Navy and we are hoping to live on base. For those of you who live on base do you like it. What are your pros and cons. We have a 15 year old and a 12 year old who we currently homeschool.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,966 times
You could go on the NOLA.com and go on the forum there and get some answers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans