Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:28 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,340 times

Advertisements

Not really angry, just annoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 09:02 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
You're right, Micktooth ~ post-Katrina WAS certainly its best chance to clean up. The powers that be didn't take into consideration that the criminals would return, too; after all, it's their 'home'. They disrespect their city, and they disrespect themselves. But but they chose to come back and cheat life instead of trying to carve out a new one elsewhere.

I've a sneaky suspicion that the inner-corruption in your city government hasn't cleaned up much, either. Shameful.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 AM

126 posts, read 471,425 times
It's all relative. They based New Orleans numbers on a population of 250,000 while the population of the city is actually just under 340,000. Doesn't really matter to me. The only people that get killed in New Orleans are crackheads and all they really do is kill each other, so the only time you ever really know there is a murder in New Orleans is when you turn on the news and hear about another black killing another black---sad, but, it's reality. Lived here my entire life and have never feared. The only thing you do know is there are a few very small parts of the city that you just don't go into--but, I have no business being there anyway as I don't do crack.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM

530 posts, read 2,624,882 times
I disagree, I personally do know people who have been shot and even killed! I lived in River Ridge. My family lives in River Ridge and Lakeview. I see a lot of denial here. Who cares what numbers were used, NOLA is a violent city. Go to other big cities and see the real world. You shouldn't have to live in fear that you have turned on to the wrong street, who is walking behind you, should you set your home alarm during the day while you are inside, etc. There is a major problem in NOLA and until people see that it is not like this everywhere and it is totally unacceptable no matter who is killing whom, I'm afraid it's just not going to get better.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 PM

126 posts, read 471,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
I disagree, I personally do know people who have been shot and even killed! I lived in River Ridge. My family lives in River Ridge and Lakeview. I see a lot of denial here. Who cares what numbers were used, NOLA is a violent city. Go to other big cities and see the real world. You shouldn't have to live in fear that you have turned on to the wrong street, who is walking behind you, should you set your home alarm during the day while you are inside, etc. There is a major problem in NOLA and until people see that it is not like this everywhere and it is totally unacceptable no matter who is killing whom, I'm afraid it's just not going to get better.
Stay living in River Ridge...life is fine for me on Banks St. in Mid-City. Maybe it's coincidence for you, but, I have never known a person that got shot and I've lived in this city since Day 1. I've been to many other big cities...many in the US and I couldn't wait to get home. There are nice places out there, but, nothing is as good as my good 'ole New Orleans. And that is how I feel. Besides, I don't know anyone in River Ridge that actually likes New Orleans anyway.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 51,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
I don't know anyone in River Ridge that actually likes New Orleans anyway.
lol

Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times
They should throw Nagin out put in Gen Honore' as mayor. He will clean up the city

Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM

207 posts, read 939,983 times
I love NOLA, but limit my visits to "safe" areas. Outside of the heavily touristed areas it is a JUNGLE!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 18,907 times
You all might be a bit paranoid actually. Most of the death and associated troubles occurs only when a) they get involved in the drug trade, or b) they're stupid enough to be in the wrong parts of town at the wrong time of day. Walking around uptown or Garden district at 10 o' clock is not, I assure you, the end of the world. Making sure to lock your doors and have contingency plans just in case some people decide to rob your home might be important (it happens a few times a month in the uptown district). Dressing like an idiot also doesn't help.

I would also like to point out that there are only so many bad neighborhoods in New Orleans. But people with their feet wet, who never stepped foot outside their suburb or farm for more than a month at a time, tend to think the entire city is a ghetto. It's really not, just the Magnolia district, Inner-Central City, parts of BC, and whatever else people know about. Uptown, Garden district, and anywhere bordering St. Charles Ave. is good enough.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:24 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
Did they ever make any arrests in the Helen Hill case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans