U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM
 
Location: 33415
207 posts, read 853,487 times
Reputation: 122

Advertisements

"Chocolate City" is the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM
 
530 posts, read 2,458,883 times
Reputation: 328
As we see yesterday, death can come to anyone at any time. Man found dead in Harvey Burger King parking lot | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | Top Stories | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | wwltv.com (http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl121908cbharveymurd.7a0bd0ab.html - broken link)
My point is, NOLA is a small city with a large crime problem. You shouldn't have to worry about what street you are on, but as shown in some of the above posts, it's just the accepted way of life in NOLA. "Just don't go on those streets" etc. It's time for y'all to wake up and realize that this is not the norm in every city and should not be accepted. NOLA needs to change and fast, or it will truly be a Dead City!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,177,728 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
As we see yesterday, death can come to anyone at any time. Man found dead in Harvey Burger King parking lot | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | Top Stories | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | wwltv.com (http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl121908cbharveymurd.7a0bd0ab.html - broken link)
My point is, NOLA is a small city with a large crime problem. You shouldn't have to worry about what street you are on, but as shown in some of the above posts, it's just the accepted way of life in NOLA. "Just don't go on those streets" etc. It's time for y'all to wake up and realize that this is not the norm in every city and should not be accepted. NOLA needs to change and fast, or it will truly be a Dead City!!

Lmao, New Orleans is far from being a dead city. Even with the slow, painful death of the American auto industry, I'm not sure Detroit is down for the count, and even post-Katrina New Orleans is much more vibrant then regular every-day Detroit. New Orleans does have a crime problem...nobody who knows what they are talking about is going to say it is normal. Just people are not ready to let one thing they hate make them leave the City when there are so many other things that they love about it. Even after Katrina New Orleans is not close to being dead. Huge tourism industry, the port, the universities, the NASA facility. Oil companies aren't headquartered there anymore, but companies like Shell still have great interest in the region. It may not be what you consider a nice place, but at least it is not being kept on life support with "bailout" money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,389,875 times
Reputation: 1418
We're bent, but we're not broken. Trust me when I say that people here are tired of the crime and corruption. Things are starting to turn around even though progress is moving painfully slow. N.O.'s problems are so entrenched that it's going to take serious time to dredge it all out. I think the main problem is the people who run this place and basically create a system where they can't be held accountable for anything and the people who live here have to take the brunt of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
126 posts, read 430,060 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
As we see yesterday, death can come to anyone at any time. Man found dead in Harvey Burger King parking lot | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | Top Stories | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | wwltv.com (http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl121908cbharveymurd.7a0bd0ab.html - broken link)
My point is, NOLA is a small city with a large crime problem. You shouldn't have to worry about what street you are on, but as shown in some of the above posts, it's just the accepted way of life in NOLA. "Just don't go on those streets" etc. It's time for y'all to wake up and realize that this is not the norm in every city and should not be accepted. NOLA needs to change and fast, or it will truly be a Dead City!!
If you are going to make an argument at least you could back it up with a little intelligence. This murder didn't even occur in New Orleans. Really ridiculous. I don't think this Micktooth person has even been to New Orleans in a long long time. Try sitting in bumper to bumper traffic every day at 5:00 for an hour or so and then tell me the city is "dead."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
258 posts, read 940,252 times
Reputation: 95
New Orleans is deep in growing pains, it's standing on the shoulders of possibility right now.
Everyone in the area who cares, is doing their best to show everyone in the country/world/state that people here are resilient and this city HAS the possibility of being better now that it ever has before.
It's a matter of A. not getting hit with a major storm and B. people fighting for something they love. IE this city and culture.
No one said it was/is easy but if the people actually stick out what is currently happening with weeding out the corruption and the violence, slowly the city will boom and be better than ever.
Optimistic? you have to be, otherwise living her would be the same as putting a drill inside your ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
 
530 posts, read 2,458,883 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
If you are going to make an argument at least you could back it up with a little intelligence. This murder didn't even occur in New Orleans. Really ridiculous. I don't think this Micktooth person has even been to New Orleans in a long long time. Try sitting in bumper to bumper traffic every day at 5:00 for an hour or so and then tell me the city is "dead."
Thank you for your ignorant response which only supports some of my positions. When are you and others going to realize that the entire region is "New Orleans"? That's my exact point! Until there is regional "togetherness" there will not be much improvement.There is no magical boundary between Orleans,Jefferson, St Bernard, etc. Go to most major cities and there is some sense of "regional" business thinking. Also, if you read my post correctly I did not say that NOLA is a dead city. There was some sarcasm in my post. One other thing, if you don't agree with a post, so be it, but please don't start with insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,177,728 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
Thank you for your ignorant response which only supports some of my positions. When are you and others going to realize that the entire region is "New Orleans"? That's my exact point! Until there is regional "togetherness" there will not be much improvement.There is no magical boundary between Orleans,Jefferson, St Bernard, etc. Go to most major cities and there is some sense of "regional" business thinking. Also, if you read my post correctly I did not say that NOLA is a dead city. There was some sarcasm in my post. One other thing, if you don't agree with a post, so be it, but please don't start with insults.
...What do you call what you just did . I understand that he did it first, but if you are so fervently against it, why do the same thing in response?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
126 posts, read 430,060 times
Reputation: 126
I stand corrected. There was a murder in Marrero. All murder is bad. This jumping on and belittling of New Orleans gets so old and is so stupid, IMO. If you hate it so much---leave this forum and if you live here and hate it so much, do the rest of us that live (and enjoy life) here a favor, as well---MOVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 AM
 
530 posts, read 2,458,883 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
I stand corrected. There was a murder in Marrero. All murder is bad. This jumping on and belittling of New Orleans gets so old and is so stupid, IMO. If you hate it so much---leave this forum and if you live here and hate it so much, do the rest of us that live (and enjoy life) here a favor, as well---MOVE.

Goodbye and Good Luck! FYI, I did move after Katrina due to family health issues. I still have plenty of family in NOLA and go back to visit often. My family and I now live in Boulder,CO. It's so nice to live in a progressive and thriving city. It's wonderful to live in a State and a City that is growing and proactive when it comes to the future. I still love NOLA and it pains me to see what is still happening back there. So there you have it, I have moved on. If you don't want help,advice or opinions from others, good luck going it on your own. I hope the city and your way of life that you so love survives. Adios!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top