Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 01:49 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times

Advertisements

I may be looking at a transfer to the New Orleans area, I'll be working with the refineries in the Chalmette/Belle Chasse areas. So I'm wondering where I should live. I currently own a home worth about 250k. I'm interested in a townhouse/condo or home. I'm single, late 30s, and no kids. Any areas to recommend? or to avoid? Prefer newer properties, I can go up on price but would prefer not to. Ability for resale is importatnt since I move 5-7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
Seeing how you are interested in resale value, I would avoid the Chalmette/St. Bernard area. Katrina wiped the entire parish out and there are tons of gutted/damaged/flipped properties on the market. Not to mention the place is still kinda hurtin' from K, (Do I get an academy award for that subtle understatment?)

If you are wanting to be near the refinaries, I would recommend the Westbank; you could take the ferry to get to Chalmette/St. Bernard. I will advise that there will be days when you'll have to take the bridge because the ferry can close due to bad weather, etc., but for the most part you could take the Belle Chasse or Chalmette ferry to avoid downtown traffic.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:20 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Seeing how you are interested in resale value, I would avoid the Chalmette/St. Bernard area. Katrina wiped the entire parish out and there are tons of gutted/damaged/flipped properties on the market. Not to mention the place is still kinda hurtin' from K, (Do I get an academy award for that subtle understatment?)

If you are wanting to be near the refinaries, I would recommend the Westbank; you could take the ferry to get to Chalmette/St. Bernard. I will advise that there will be days when you'll have to take the bridge because the ferry can close due to bad weather, etc., but for the most part you could take the Belle Chasse or Chalmette ferry to avoid downtown traffic.
I think I will be working closer to Alliance. I dont want to be near the refineries, hopefully 30 keeping the commute to 30 min or so. Are the ferries faster than the bridge from the Quarter? Im not as much worried about value, just ability to sell should the inevitable transfer come.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:51 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
The ferries are much faster. I had an employee who lived on the Westbank near the ferry. When he got called out in the middle of the night, he could get there in 15 min. If it was foggy he refused the call-out as the bridge would take him 45 min. He tought it was worth it on clear nights as he got a 3 hr minimum pay for the call-out.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 14,035 times
If you decide on the West Bank, Belle Chasse is a pretty easy resale. There are plenty of military folks coming in and out of there each year to the base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans