U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 02:11 PM

264 posts, read 1,055,466 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was wondering where good areas were to live outside of New Orleans, that are safe, smaller towns. Land seems to be very expensive down around NO, and what areas that were once rural look like they have huge subdivisions going up. Is it impossible to get land at a decent price to have our small farm like here in Memphis? Where are some good school districts? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 04:45 PM

9 posts, read 160,817 times
You might look around the NorthShore, i.e. Folsom, Loranger, etc.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:06 PM

177 posts, read 739,420 times
How far from N.O. are you willing to go? There are some citrus farms near / south of Belle Chasse on Hwy. 23. If you go west on Hwy. 90 there are some farms pretty much all the way to Lafayette. In particular they start around Raceland and go into New Iberia, etc. Most of those grow sugar cane.

I agree with Cal Dreaming that Folsom would be great but demand is high and therefore so are prices.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,408,913 times
Around Kentwood or Amite, Sun, etc., you might find something. Remember Belle Chasse flood sbadly (think Katrina).

Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 AM

167 posts, read 780,674 times
There really isn't rural living around NOLA anymore. Ahhh, those were the good ole days...Any larger parcel of land (bigger than say your average third or fourth acre lot) is going to be hard to come by. If you find one, it will most likely be in an estate lot or equestrian subdividion and you will have a bunch of restrictions. It depends on what type of "farm" you want. My parents looked for a long time for property north of NOLA in Folsom, Bush, Sun, Franklinton area. It was very difficult because it is still the "good ole boy network" out there. Land is not necessarily advertised for sale because the neighbors who have been there since the dawn of time do not really care to have some newbie come out there to build a mansion with lots of lights and fancy guard gates. They sell through word of mouth. Your best bet is to visit the area, and drive around/ talk to locals about that old place on such and such road with the broken fence. Would so and so be willing to sell me a few acres?
If you need to be driving distance from NOLA for the typical morning commute- I would just give up on the farm idea. Maybe just a small backyard garden and possibly a mini orchard in the front yard?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 16,598 times
Mezzogirl is right.

The New Orleans area is surrounded by water. Pull out a map or google it. Land on the southshore of Lake Pontchartrain and on the east bank of the Mississippi River is all city.....office buildings, neighborhoods, subdivions, malls, strip shopping, restaurants...

If you want farm land, you'll have to go north of Lake Pontchartrain to Sun, Folsum, Bogalusa, or on the westbank of the River. If the latter, you'll also have to go pretty far south and west of the city like down toward Morgan City and New Iberia. Even if you stay on the Eastbank and go west toward Sorrento and Geismar......either way you go, you're talking about a minimum of a few hours drive into the City.

Land is less expensive in Mississippi, which is only about a 45 minute drive east on I-10. You may want to look around Picayune of Pearl River. Traffic coming in on I-10 from the east can sometimes be a *****, but if it makes your country living dream come true, you'll love it.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 AM

5 posts, read 20,795 times
Why are you moving to the New Orleans area? If you have a job in the city, then there is no rural area within an hour's drive. An hour and a half, just maybe, if you look hard, but less exist every day. Two hours drive will be doable; but, who would want a two hour drive to work? And back? If you are moving to farm, surely there are better areas of the country. If you have a job in the city, and are mainly concerned about crime, most of the suburbs are decent. But, they are suburbs not rural. The schools on the northshore are better than the city, but all Louisiana schools compare poorly with those in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans