U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:44 AM

84 posts, read 294,492 times

Advertisements

I would not stay out near the airport (Kenner). Stay in Metairie (near Causeway) if you do not care to be near the French Quarter. Just more centrally located, safe and close to good restaurants, shopping and the like and only about 15 min to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,480 times
Moving to NO wanted to know if the area between earhart and airline is dangerous. North hamilton to be specific. Replies from new orleans natives and please no BS if you don't know the area do not reply.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,184,346 times
Yes that is not a good area! Avoid it! It was always awful then Katrina threw it in a wash cycle.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,993,533 times
This thread is 2 years old, start a new one next time.

That area between Airline and Earhart is part of the Hollygrove neighborhood and can be pretty rough. Its somewhat isolated and much of it (especially closer to Airline) looks run down with a lot of vacant housing. There is only one bus line that services that area and it is not very frequent. Its not a neighborhood I would recommend for a newcomer.

Where will you be working?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 PM

218 posts, read 762,608 times
It's not necessarily dangerous, but it's certainly not the type of place you could walk around at night without worry or leave valuables in your car and think they won't be bothered. Plus, it's not very...vibrant...and not near much of anything of interest. I'd keep looking around.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM

2,830 posts, read 5,516,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominicanr View Post
Moving to NO wanted to know if the area between earhart and airline is dangerous. North hamilton to be specific. Replies from new orleans natives and please no BS if you don't know the area do not reply.
I had relatives that lived there (Hollygrove) and at one time it was a decent, relatively safe working class neighborhood. As a kid, I had no problems walking and roaming the streets. People would leave their doors open, sit and chat with neighbors, etc. I could say It was a place long ago that I would have had no problem raising a family. Plus, the area was served at one time by some decent shopping areas on Carrolton and Claiborne.

However, in the last 30 years or so with the older residents dying and moving, it has gone way downhill with unkempt proprties, junk cars on the streets, drugs, shootings and overall crime. Katrina severely damaged most of the homes there, which of course, magnified the crime problem.

Fast forward to today,I would never walk, let alone drive there at night and be wary of going through there during the day now. I'll just say I am glad my relatives no longer live there anymore.

There are much nicer areas in the uptown area to live.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,172,872 times
There are so many nice hotels do not waste your time staying by the airport, the area is ugly. When visiting keep in mind New Orleans is like a checker board and good areas are laced with unsafe areas. Most problems happen after 11pm. The cemetarys are favorite tourist areas and their geography are arrangement allow for sudden acts of random crime.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,063,632 times
3 yr old thread...plus its funny that it was said Freret was a bad area except by Tulane.

Freret from Jefferson to Napoleon is now MUCH nicer than it was even 2 years ago

Old 10-25-2011, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,180 times
Default Elysian Fields

Can anyone tell me about the area in and around Elysian Fields? I have a friend that is thinking of relocating and will be renting a home in this area. He has not yet visited but will be soon.

Is this area considered safe? Is there public transportation?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,993,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodock View Post
Can anyone tell me about the area in and around Elysian Fields? I have a friend that is thinking of relocating and will be renting a home in this area. He has not yet visited but will be soon.

Is this area considered safe? Is there public transportation?
Elysian Fields is a long street that runs through a few different neighborhoods. You need to be a little more specific.

The area between St. Claude Ave. and Florida Ave is the roughest part. Anywhere else is reasonably safe with the safest area being closer to the lake.

There's a bus line that runs down Elysian Fields then up Decatur St to Canal St, not sure on the frequency though. There are also buses on Gentilly Rd./Broad, Claiborne Ave., and St. Claude Ave. that might be useful. I know the bus on Gentilly Rd/Broad is pretty frequent, but I can't speak for the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or