U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tired of living in Southern California Palm Springs, considering moving to New Orleans, information on crime rates in New Orleans,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 12,261 times

Advertisements

I am sitting here reading tons of postings about NO after finding it' one of if not THE worst crime riddled city in our country. To be honest with you here not many people are making me feel any better about the city than that horrible distinction does. The reason I am reading up on NO is because I am seriously considering moving there. I am from what my title eludes to a New Jersey native originally. I am sitting in Southern California in sunny palm springs watching older gentleman play golf everyday and shop at fancy upscale chain stores with their plastic (literally) wives, oh and little tiny mouthy dogs in tow. My girlfriend is sleeping in the next room, five months pregnant with my first born little girl. I am partially educated and trying to finish my bachelor in secondary education because I have the undying urge and naivety to change some lives in this world and make my daughter proud of her dad someday. I have lived in or spent lots of time in New Jersey, New York city, Miami, Philadelphia, Albuquerque, San Diego, Los Angeles, and yes sunny Palm Springs. What pulls me towards NO along with beautiful stories of the place from an English professor is the magic and heart. I have seen cities that look absolutely beautifully. Aesthetically perfect with aesthetically perfect inhabitants walking and living about it. What i have found in those places is nothing more than that. When your in a city that has more going on underneath the surface you feel it and know it, like for me parts of New York city are wonderful and invigorating. Certain cities have sprinkles of that magic and some do not (just my opinion sorry if i insult anyone). I have only been through and visited NO once, my girlfriend has spent lots of time there and is in love with it. I have felt in love with it from only glancing over pages of stories including rich descriptions of NO style funerals. Any people who celebrate life like that are who i would like to try and make a dollar around. The point, ok i have gotten way off course but here it is, there seems to be a mentality in our society here that you barricade yourself behind a perfect facade of a home with man made ponds and gross landscaping, surrounded by cookie cutter homes resembling your own with possibly a neighbor who shakes it up a bit and puts a golf ball mailbox on his property. You feel safe, you get in your suv, you get your kids to school and compare your recent gap purchase to your friends to make sure you look like a more suitable parent, you visit starbucks to take in the local culture, you order sushi to feel like your cosmopolitan,you finish off your night watching the latest canne film festival award winner, all the while you feel safe setting your alarm systems and latching your doors from your neighbor Bob and Janice. This is what people seem to desire here and i understand to a degree, safety, good schools, nice community, plenty of starbucks, but I want more for me and my family. I want imperfect, I don't want bullets flying which is almost what it seems on some of these forum posts, I don't want random murders just because i want to walk down the street at night. I want heart and soul. I want a heavy steep in tradition and history that makes culture palpable. I want genuine, I want real, I would like raw and gritty, ( I'm from New Jersey). I just want some honest assesment about opportunity and real life in NO. Look for me most citites have bad areas and if you mess around with bad people you get hurt, you keep your head down sometimes and use your brain for some common sense it's the part about living in a city that you deal with. I would not or will not move my little girl into the wild west if it is that but obviously from what you can tell I pine for a bit more than the suburban dream. Oh and if i did not mention it, i would rather take a crappy pay check teaching somewhere i can make a difference rather than sitting complacent counting the hours to end each day. I'd rather get my hands dirty in life and change things rather than run from them. Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 PM

177 posts, read 739,490 times
OK, I'll bite.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR???

Look, the crime is bad but it's not a showstopper. You can walk down the street in many areas and be safe. The majority of murder is drug dealer killing snitch or someone taking out a dealer so they don't have to pay back a huge debt or even just retaliation for another murder. So if you didn't kill someone and you don't sell / do drugs, your risk level just went way down to match any average city.

As for the character and heart of the city and its people, some people just get it and some people don't. You nailed it. Don't get me wrong, there's still the McMansions and keeping up with the Jones' but if anyone is around here looking for perfection, trust me, they're not going to find it.

I'm one of the people in the past who has posted that I was ready to leave the city. I still am but for many different reasons. One of the reasons though is because of its imperfections. Make no mistake, I would miss her dearly and would come back frequently to enjoy her many splendors.

Get your ticket. We'll have a welcoming party when you get here. And we'll have one if you don't.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 12,261 times
what are great neighborhoods to look at where experiencing real NO life is impossible to miss and it's relatively safe to enjoy life there.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 16,845 times
The crime, for the most part, as in many big(ger) cities is well contained to its own circles. You will quickly learn where to be and where NOT to be. Get your butt to New Orleans! I have always said it's the best place to be from.

I am from NOLA and currently live in Houston. Dying to go home since 1990. Now I am big enough to do something about it. Meanwhile I visit fairly frequently with my husband and children and have never felt unsafe. Even out by the Riverwalk at 1am seeing Christmas lights and celebrating with my children and parents... just be mindful of where you go and what you do.

All you need is common sense, sounds like you're on the right track!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 PM

177 posts, read 739,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnative53 View Post
what are great neighborhoods to look at where experiencing real NO life is impossible to miss and it's relatively safe to enjoy life there.
There's probably quite a few different places that would work for you. The more common choices would be Uptown, Carrollton, The Warehouse District, the Marigny and to some extent, the Quarter itself. Gentilly / Lakeview may be right up your alley. This will mostly be determined by your income level, career, family, etc.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:58 PM

6 posts, read 14,244 times
If you love So Cal, you'll probably hate Nola. It's an old dirty city with unhealthy food (emphasis on the frying), no decent beaches, lots of fat people. It's great, unique, fun, unhealthy and frustrating. I love it; be warned, though, I love a challenge. You really can make a difference by teaching in the maddening horrible school system; the kids are a fabulous challenge: beautiful, creative, challenging. Couldn't recommend it more highly. Just be careful, and good luck.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM

12 posts, read 81,596 times
Default Just another city

My wife and I just moved here 2 months ago from Annapolis, MD. New Orleans is, crime-wise, like any other. The bad areas are bad, but the city as a whole is pretty nice (though it smells a little weird - what's up with that?). If you want gritty, there's plenty of it to go around. If you want nice, easy suburb or country living, it's only a half hour away across the lake. LA has been a pretty nice place so far.
jed

Old 01-03-2009, 09:06 PM

474 posts, read 1,294,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu54 View Post
If you love So Cal, you'll probably hate Nola. It's an old dirty city with unhealthy food (emphasis on the frying), no decent beaches, lots of fat people. It's great, unique, fun, unhealthy and frustrating. I love it; be warned, though, I love a challenge. You really can make a difference by teaching in the maddening horrible school system; the kids are a fabulous challenge: beautiful, creative, challenging. Couldn't recommend it more highly. Just be careful, and good luck.
WHAT? Where or what in the hell does it matter if people are FAT, Skinny, Tall, Short, Black or White? It seems that the major challenge one would have - in your eyes - would be where the pretty people are!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 14,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
WHAT? Where or what in the hell does it matter if people are FAT, Skinny, Tall, Short, Black or White? It seems that the major challenge one would have - in your eyes - would be where the pretty people are!
Moderator cut: edit I was just trying to tell him,her that New Orleans is one of those great cities that isn't superficial like So Cal tends to be. I could not care less about someone's size; it's the heart that matters and New Orleans has a great one. Don't be so quick to jump to absurd conclusions. Obviously you didn't understand my post. back at ya.

Last edited by leorah; 01-04-2009 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 AM

474 posts, read 1,294,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu54 View Post
I was just trying to tell him,her that New Orleans is one of those great cities that isn't superficial like So Cal tends to be. I could not care less about someone's size; it's the heart that matters and New Orleans has a great one. Don't be so quick to jump to absurd conclusions. Obviously you didn't understand my post. back at ya.
Sorry to have hit a nerve! I was just responding to text to you had written!

Last edited by leorah; 01-04-2009 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans