Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

Well, he doesn't live here ( per a prior post of his after having visited) so he can have split opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 PM

310 posts, read 854,486 times
Ooookay then. Terribly annoying.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserylovesco. View Post
The slow death of New Orleans.
Until you have a city government that is willing to acknowledge and recognize the problem for what it is, nothing is going to change.

You have got to put some mighty tough laws on the books and enforce them. If you make New Orleans UNPROFITABLE to criminals, they will go elsewhere. It is the job of law enforcement to make being a criminal too much trouble.

New Orleans is famous for it's laid-back attitude. Unfortuantely, law enforcement is a little too laid back for its own good - and the good of the citizens there. I lived in new Orleans in 1984 for one year, and even back then people were getting murdered far too often. One lady was murdered in the parking lot of Schexneiders for her groceries! I'm sure that it has gotten worse since I left more than 20 years ago.

You cannot let criminals run the streets and this is what is happening in many large cities. What the world needs is some armed vigilantes and cops who will look the other way. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-08-2010, 04:10 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Ill tell you what though, if New Orleans aint dead yet its not going to die.
When a city is that loved despite its many faults, people will go to extraordinary lengths to make sure it continues to exist. It wont die. It will only get better.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 AM

268 posts, read 743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
New Orleans is famous for it's laid-back attitude. Unfortuantely, law enforcement is a little too laid back for its own good - and the good of the citizens there.
This writes a lot better than it lives.
You could not have a single successful Mardi Gras with the kind of law enforcement you
are talking about. You could not operate Bourbon Street without tolerant law enforcement.
I do see where you are coming from, in that we are not talking about the same kind of police work,
or even the same group of officers. But one of the things people love about NO is the fact that
they ended up going home in their own car after a wild weekend in NO. By all rights, many of them
would still be in Central Lockup. And they were allowed to escape the city with their dignity.
Your welcome.
A quick example. I was in the service in NC, and a friend of mine and I came down for a three day weekend.
We rode down to PatO's with another childhood friend of mine and picked up a bride/groom and three bridesmaids.
It was a perfect setup. But I got really drunk. In fact, the way we met, they had purchased a
'magnum' a 3 foot tall hurricane with 4 hoses and had drunk it down to little more than ice and pink liquid.
I told em I could finish it in five mins. Well there was a little more alki in there than I thought, and
I was soon on the floor. At dawn, Mgmt had called a cop off the street to help get me up off the floor and
out the door. Long story short, I took a swing at him, he gut punched me, and I threw up red hurricane
all over his blue uniform shirt. A lot more happened, but I woke up in my own bed. YOU TELL ME that
happens ANYWHERE else in the WORLD, and I will eat my hat.

And btw, a year in NO hardly qualifies you to argue much about what it ought to be like. And I do not
mean that in a derogatory manner, just that until you have been a New Orleanian, you really don't know
what people really think or what's really going on. A year is a dip in the water, not a swim or even a
baptism. All that said, I guarantee I know diddly squat about Branson, lol.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:18 PM

268 posts, read 743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
They don't hate BLACK PEOPLE IN GENERAL...THEY HATE ALL THE DAMN THUGS, AS DO I.
And while I understand where you are coming from, put yourself as a fly on the wet wall after katrina. There was no
separation of thugs from blacks, and EVERYONE looked ratty, white and black. People shot first and wondered who
they'd shot later. So thugs or innocent citizens was not a question some folks asked themselves. But you covered
that pretty well in saying not everyone is a racist. But there are a $hit-ton. It's the deep south.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:34 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
And while I understand where you are coming from, put yourself as a fly on the wet wall after katrina. There was no
separation of thugs from blacks, and EVERYONE looked ratty, white and black. People shot first and wondered who
they'd shot later. So thugs or innocent citizens was not a question some folks asked themselves. But you covered
that pretty well in saying not everyone is a racist. But there are a $hit-ton. It's the deep south.
Just like there are a sh*t-ton of them in the northeast and southwest.

I think it was actually pretty easy to distinguish who was trying to survive and who was trying to hoodwink the bewildered NOPD.

The people taking food were trying to survive. The people stealing televisions I have no sympathy for.

Plenty of whites and blacks worked together. Just like plenty of thugs did what they do best--they complicated the situation and made everything worse for themselves and every single person around them.

I honestly don't know of many people at all who would look at an honest hard working black person and say "I hate you because you're black"...95% of whites have moved into the 21st century. If anything blacks are more likely to excercise racism towards whites.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Louisiana should adopt a policy like many other states do, when a mandatory evacuation is called for in a particular parish Marshall law should be enforced. If you leave your home you are breaking marshall law and any resulting shoting and law enforcement should have a standing pardon. People act like they didn't know the were suppose to evacuate for Katrina, come on I was there also, only a idiot wouldn't evacuate for such a storm. I damn sure wouldn't drive my car down to the Superdome. 1,000's and 1,000's of cars were down at the dome flooded out after the storm. Geeze you gota use your noodle every now and then, why would anyone live in a town like New Orleans without a way out, we live in a bowl below sea level with small crappy levee's in case you haven't been told. Some thangs you just have to figure out on your own.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
Because
1. This is the United States of America. You cannot force people from their homes, that does not sit well with anyone.

2. New Orleans is largely not below sea level, only certain areas of the city are (especially the old city near the river)

3. People did not leave for storms for centuries in New Orleans. I know of 2+ 80 yr old people that stayed during Katrina and were fine.

Personally I evac but that's my choice. You should not be able to force people out of their homes at the barrel of a gun

Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
No, you don't understand if you wana stay in New Orleans with a class 5 hurricane heading for the mouth of the river that's your choice and you have every right to do so, but in many states they have this thang called marshal law where you are not allowed on the streets, no fire or police protection will be had during or after the storm untill marshall law is lifted, of course by you staying in your house with no power and flushing toilets to the lift stations that aren't working you may be pumping shi! in my house, so don't cry to me when some cop that's been living on adrenilne for a few days not knowing how his family is doing or what idiot is gona blow his head off blows your head off instead, GEEZ NEW ORLEANS get it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans