U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 06:56 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,123,166 times

Advertisements

That's just a REMARKABLY stup** (urhh,) - ill-informed post. Have you even been to NO since Katrina and you apparently moved to SoCal?. It's actually quite a bit whiter now that it was before - nothing at all like Atlanta. Even more African-Americans have been replaced by Hispanics that settled down after working on reconstruction crews.The French Quarter was a little on the edgy side before and it's a little edgy now. Also, I'd say it's just as much drunk out-of-control white boys as it is black criminals that gives it "edginess". You're remark is like me saying I'm never moving to L.A. because of all those nasty riotus people in South Central. I'd love to know what your "new approach" to use with an "AA City". With you tone I suspect it's probably something like Hitler's Final Solution?? (you probably don't know what I'm talking about but that's OK; just enjoy the surf in Malibu and leave NO alone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that is why i no longer visit nor live there.
its no longer just city park, its french quarter--- formerly a "safe" zone.
diversity respecting the rights of the less fortunate and a toned down police force is not working for new orleans.
i think they need to take lessons from atlanta. if you are going to be an AA city you need some new approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 PM

310 posts, read 773,958 times
City Park? Really? Have you seriously lived here or are you just sheltered and racist? City Park's only semi-dangerous after dark. And the French Quarter? The danger I've seen there was white frat boy gropers and white, stoner pickpockets. If you venture off a side street, yes, you're asking for trouble. Head towards N. Rampart? Yeah, you're asking for a world of hurt. Get it straight, yo. I'm not being a crime apologist because crime sucks big time here. Crime normally happens to LOCALS involved in the drug trade, gangs, or abusive husbands. The last several murders I've read about were all domestic disputes or homies trying to prove themselves by shooting another homie, not a tourist.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 AM

56,112 posts, read 44,519,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
That is occuring everywhere. I used to rent a space in another downtown area for 700 a month and it is now 2300 a month to LEASE that same loft. (entire upstairs of an old building)

That change occured in a decade. People are freakin greedy. The end.
Supply and demand. When there is a glut the units sit empty and the landlords get boned so it goes both ways.

Increased insurance costs are probably a decent chunk of that too.

.....there are several reasons why insurance is more expensive in some parts of the country relative to other costs.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:23 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Well , that's called capitalism . Something is worth what people will pay for it .
And I guarantee we will sit and watch while more people continue to be priced out. And watch units sit vacant because there is a shortage of people who can afford them. And watch while landlords struggle to make payments that would've been easily payable had they been asking for a reasonable sum in the first place.

Just because somebody pays their rent doesn't mean they feel it is worth it. Could just mean they need a place to live at the present more than they need to save money for the future or use their hard earned money to support local business. So technically, over-charging for rent means more money flowing to land lords and less money going towards everybody and everything else.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times
My comment was a statement of reality . I didn't say I approved or disapproved of the situation .

Old 08-22-2010, 06:55 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,004,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Supply and demand. When there is a glut the units sit empty and the landlords get boned so it goes both ways.

Increased insurance costs are probably a decent chunk of that too.

.....there are several reasons why insurance is more expensive in some parts of the country relative to other costs.

What a crock of ****. You sound like a slum lord. To raise the rent from 700 to 2300 is not about insurance increases. Get a clue.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,442,173 times
All BS aside that must be one dang nice house/apt. to get 2300 a month, care to elaberate?

Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
My comment was a statement of reality . I didn't say I approved or disapproved of the situation .
As I am just stating what has happened elsewhere and what is now happening again.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 AM

5 posts, read 7,287 times
Poverty, sociological ethos, and disjointed kin are a cocktail for crime. Not epidermal pigmentation.

NOLA's the one city in this country that doesn't feel like it belongs in America. Which is a good thing. Consider the music, and the best cuisine in the world. And excluding politics/police, on an average person level - New Orleans has better interracial vibes than South America, most of Europe, and even Canada*.

*Vancouver. Duh.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 AM

98 posts, read 259,701 times
"Poverty, sociological ethos, and disjointed kin are a cocktail for crime", while that may be true of some crime. The glass the cocktail is served in might be where pigmentation comes in. Looking at crime statistics, there seems to be a huge in-balance when looking at perpetrators by race.

I would suggest that if we are just looking at causes and not cures, that politicians and the politics they play are the leading cause. Plying their poor constituents with welfare and other debilitating hand outs while convincing them that they alone stand for them just to be re elected again and again. Helping them out of poverty would cost votes and not many politicians are up for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or