U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,659,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
In the early 1980s I lived in New Orleans for four years and worked in the French Quarter. From the day I drove into the City and had to escape a likely mugging as I sat in my vehicle reading a city map, I determined to leave as soon as I could. And regarding unanswered prayer; like Jonah who spent three days and three nights in the damp bowels of a great "fish", I too thought my prayers were going unanswered. What I learned is that God sometimes says "no" and sometimes he bides his time until we we learn the lesson he seeks to teach us. In short, I would worry less about the bowels of the beast and worry more about my own soul.
I lived there for a year in the mid 80's. Was only meant to be there for a few weeks to regroup after a car accident. I fell in love with the city on my second day and was offered a job before the end of the week. even back in '86 it was a little dicey but I really never felt in any danger despite me living in a so so neighbourhood with a project not too far away. I lived on the corner of Felicity and Magazine, worked in the the Old maritine building and would walk to Egors at all hours of the night with friends.

I think it got worse round about '88, because I remember going back there for Mardi Gras and someone telling me there had already been 30 murders...not sure if that was true. All the same it's a shame all this is happening while still recovering from the Hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:30 AM

258 posts, read 940,471 times
If I'm not mistaken, the murder rate currently is 37 for 2009.
That's plenty screwed up if that's the facts according to T/P

Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 PM

167 posts, read 780,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
In the early 1980s I lived in New Orleans for four years and worked in the French Quarter. From the day I drove into the City and had to escape a likely mugging as I sat in my vehicle reading a city map, I determined to leave as soon as I could. And regarding unanswered prayer; like Jonah who spent three days and three nights in the damp bowels of a great "fish", I too thought my prayers were going unanswered. What I learned is that God sometimes says "no" and sometimes he bides his time until we we learn the lesson he seeks to teach us. In short, I would worry less about the bowels of the beast and worry more about my own soul.
Maybe God doesn't want NOLA to come back....just a thought. I agree that God answers prayers the way He sees fit, because He can see the whole picture. Not a religious lesson, just a thought. I love NOLA and the whole area around it too. I hear the disappointment in the original post. Good luck in changing the current.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzogirl View Post
Maybe God doesn't want NOLA to come back....just a thought. I agree that God answers prayers the way He sees fit, because He can see the whole picture. Not a religious lesson, just a thought. I love NOLA and the whole area around it too. I hear the disappointment in the original post. Good luck in changing the current.
I highly doubt this. Trust me, if Atlanta went through the same ordeal as New Orleans, things would be pretty chaotic there as well...especially the crime rate. It's gonna take time and patience for things to get reorganized in NOLA with the slim resources that are available.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM

12,712 posts, read 17,483,302 times
Quote:
Yes, none of us what God thinks about NOLA but I was extremely disappointed. However, fresh out of school, it was NOLA or NYC. I simply chose what I believed was the lesser of two evils. It was tough on a young family trying to get a start.

And yes, the current has been changed several times since then and all for the better.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM

12,712 posts, read 17,483,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I lived there for a year in the mid 80's. Was only meant to be there for a few weeks to regroup after a car accident. I fell in love with the city on my second day and was offered a job before the end of the week. even back in '86 it was a little dicey but I really never felt in any danger despite me living in a so so neighbourhood with a project not too far away. I lived on the corner of Felicity and Magazine, worked in the the Old maritine building and would walk to Egors at all hours of the night with friends.

I think it got worse round about '88, because I remember going back there for Mardi Gras and someone telling me there had already been 30 murders...not sure if that was true. All the same it's a shame all this is happening while still recovering from the Hurricanes.
You may have been there at the same time I was. I mostly worked out of the old US Customs House at the end of Canal Street working mostly in the Port areas half way to Baton Rouge. I worked all hours of the day and night but I kept my eyes and ears open. I left some good friends in the City but felt that I needed to get my family to a more family-friendly place.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM

126 posts, read 430,159 times
The funny thing reading all of these comments on this thread is the prevailing theme of pure ignorance. Things aren't perfect here, but, truth be told---they're not all too bad. It doesn't seem, appear, or feel much different here than anywhere else other than the fact that you are in New Orleans---one unique place to the eye and the spirit.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 PM

195 posts, read 1,000,731 times
Quote:
What NOLA is like has nothing to do with God, at all. The murder of this woman was very sad. I guess people have to weigh what matters most to them when deciding where to live, and for some the crime rate isn't worth it. I've thought of moving to Metairie etc, I know someone there, but I'm not sure especially when you read stories like this.

Last edited by summer grace; 01-20-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 AM

258 posts, read 940,471 times
God has NOTHING to do with the state of New Orleans and holding some kind of hope that "he" is, is moronic. There is not apocalyptic surge headed to the gulf coast, it's a man-made plight and only men can accept the responsibility for their actions. God has nothing to do with what other men have brought unto the South Eastern Louisiana area code.

Hurricanes equal nature and within dealing with them, we have to except their existence but to blame some moral deity is awful.

New Orleans needs to remedy itself for it's own problems existent.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,659,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserylovesco. View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the murder rate currently is 37 for 2009.
That's plenty screwed up if that's the facts according to T/P
You're kidding me aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or