Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 AM

75 posts, read 183,507 times

Advertisements

Well I for one am optimistic. I believe in my favorite city on earth and will be there ASAP! I just hope I get there and find a good spot before the rest of the dumbass world wises up and realizes what they're missing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWest77 View Post
Well I for one am optimistic. I believe in my favorite city on earth and will be there ASAP! I just hope I get there and find a good spot before the rest of the dumbass world wises up and realizes what they're missing!
And the rest of the world is doing so more quickly than I like. Over the past several months, I've grown to love the "best kept secret" aspect of New Orleans. Now, we have people from all over the country moving to our city. Most of them(especially those with prior experience in older, cultured cities) are great and fit in well here. Others...well others are like Nolaballa

Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 AM

643 posts, read 978,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
And the rest of the world is doing so more quickly than I like. Over the past several months, I've grown to love the "best kept secret" aspect of New Orleans. Now, we have people from all over the country moving to our city. Most of them(especially those with prior experience in older, cultured cities) are great and fit in well here. Others...well others are like Nolaballa
Yeah, I've been seeing SOOOO many out of state license plates here, people are coming from everywhere...and im not just saying that because im a new orleans proponent, its really true...my girl just changed her plate over from South Carolina yesterday by way of Brooklyn, New York (the dmv on Vets in new orlean's wait time is CRAZY)....as far as for what Nolaballa has to say, I carry that with a grain of salt

Last edited by sconley9922; 02-01-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 PM

67 posts, read 87,257 times
Meh. I'm objective. I called out the good and bad. I've lived much of my life in big cosmopolitan cities. I can say with an open mind what the pros and cons of NO are. Others on this forum however must work for the tourism bureau or something because they are some of the most biased, booster types on the forum and they are seriously misleading people who have never been to NO and are looking for honest answers to their questions.

It's a fun, lively city. People are friendly. The weather is pretty good. It's urban and walkable. It's heaven for foodies. I've said all these positive things before. But the city has some serious negatives, such as crime, jobs, and the value of the apartment rentals. Others on this forum want you to believe that NO scores 100 out of 100, when in reality it's more like 70 out of 100 when compared to other cities.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
I grew up in and around New Orleans, and the city looked pretty good a few years ago when we visited for a week. It's still a dangerous town though, and always will be probably. So you need your big city smarts hat on all the time. Food was great, as always. Mother's sucked though. Dirty floors and tables, surly servers, just a tourist trap of the worst kind. We ate gumbo every day for lunch at Acme. You just go there around 10:45 to 11 and there's not much line at all. Court of Two Sisters was fine, loved everything at Snug Harbor. Had roast beef po boys at Johnnys in the Quarter (bread was all wrong, but it had that correct "knock your socks off" taste). More of the surly servers though. That's ALWAYS been my problem w/ New Orleans, the blacks that act like they hate their jobs. My wife, who is black, said "what's wrong w/ these people"? I just told her that's the way it is. And that's the way a lot of New Orleans is. For every wonderful thing there's a negative. It's a place of extreme polarities, and you deal w/ it or you leave. I'm in my 60's now and it's all a little too much for me, but I do love visiting. Any newcomer that thinks they're gonna go there and change things just does not understand New Orleans politics! And everything in New Orleans is political.

I looked at some of the rent prices in the quarter. They are out of their little Nu Yawk minds. It's expensive to live in the quarter, sure, but they have gone crazy on that one. You could always live Uptown, but I always like the edges of the quarter or the Faubourg Marigny areas. If you're going to live in New Orleans, you gotta live in the mix.

Last edited by smarino; 02-04-2014 at 06:23 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM

639 posts, read 821,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post
Meh. I'm objective. I called out the good and bad. I've lived much of my life in big cosmopolitan cities. I can say with an open mind what the pros and cons of NO are. Others on this forum however must work for the tourism bureau or something because they are some of the most biased, booster types on the forum and they are seriously misleading people who have never been to NO and are looking for honest answers to their questions.

It's a fun, lively city. People are friendly. The weather is pretty good. It's urban and walkable. It's heaven for foodies. I've said all these positive things before. But the city has some serious negatives, such as crime, jobs, and the value of the apartment rentals. Others on this forum want you to believe that NO scores 100 out of 100, when in reality it's more like 70 out of 100 when compared to other cities.
Who ever said NOLA is 100 out of 100? lol... Surely not me and to be quite honest the 70 out of 100 you give NOLA now is very impressive. Considering the things the city has gone thru over the last 30 years tell me what city would get that high of a rating after such things as the oil bust, businesses relocating, city corruption, crime, education issues (public schools), hurricane katrina etc.? I'll be the first to say NOLA is not perfect no where near but I can also tell that other cities or not perfect either. I can say this because I went o college in Atlanta and I lived in D.C. and San Antonion trust while they are GREAT cities and I enjoyed them ESPECIALLY D.C. but the are FAR from perfect too. The thing that trips me out is how people try to compare us to cities that are pretty much at there peaks right now give or take and NOLA is in RESURRECTION MODE ESPECIALLY given all the things she has been thru that I have entioned. When NOLA was at its peak I bet any money pound for pound it could hold its own against the best. Its all good though but in the words of the GREAT Maya Angelou "AND I STILL RISE"!! That famous phrase fits NOLA PERFECTLY!!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I grew up in and around New Orleans, and the city looked pretty good a few years ago when we visited for a week. It's still a dangerous town though, and always will be probably. So you need your big city smarts hat on all the time. Food was great, as always. Mother's sucked though. Dirty floors and tables, surly servers, just a tourist trap of the worst kind. We ate gumbo every day for lunch at Acme. You just go there around 10:45 to 11 and there's not much line at all. Court of Two Sisters was fine, loved everything at Snug Harbor. Had roast beef po boys at Johnnys in the Quarter (bread was all wrong, but it had that correct "knock your socks off" taste). More of the surly servers though. That's ALWAYS been my problem w/ New Orleans, the blacks that act like they hate their jobs. My wife, who is black, said "what's wrong w/ these people"? I just told her that's the way it is. And that's the way a lot of New Orleans is. For every wonderful thing there's a negative. It's a place of extreme polarities, and you deal w/ it or you leave. I'm in my 60's now and it's all a little too much for me, but I do love visiting. Any newcomer that thinks they're gonna go there and change things just does not understand New Orleans politics! And everything in New Orleans is political.

I looked at some of the rent prices in the quarter. They are out of their little Nu Yawk minds. It's expensive to live in the quarter, sure, but they have gone crazy on that one. You could always live Uptown, but I always like the edges of the quarter or the Faubourg Marigny areas. If you're going to live in New Orleans, you gotta live in the mix.
The part in bold is what I agree with most

Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post

I've been trying to leave you alone, but please spare us the faux patronage. And stop the predictable deflecting while trying to sound balanced about New Orleans. You clearly are not as we all can see. Another poster asked "Whats new in New Orleans". Your response was "high crime, expensive housing, and no jobs". There is a litany of things that come to my mind in reference to what's new in this city. But people like you don't want that truth. If you moved here and can't find a job, a safe area to live, or a place you can afford...its probably due to user error. The thousands of people who have moved here since 2010, including myself, haven't had an issue.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:38 PM

179 posts, read 247,284 times
geaux n.o.........

Old 04-18-2015, 12:20 PM

327 posts, read 398,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserylovesco. View Post
The slow death of New Orleans.

I moved to New Orleans in hopes to harness something inside.
I fought tooth and nail to be here, to live in the city that birthed Jazz, where the bars don’t close and the music is as hot as the food.
I knew what I was getting into, to truly love something; you have to love it for its flaws.
New Orleans is, a flawed city.
Yet, those of us who love it will defend it when its face is buried in the social dog **** that we’re allowing.
We cannot turn our heads any longer, crime is crippling this city and every day people are finding more and more reasons to pack their things and find a new place to celebrate life. A safer place, in a city that can barely contain somewhere between 300K and 400K (depending on who you ask) we beat the national crime average by 12%, that is a sobering number. The New Orleans murder rate is higher than the rest of the country but everyone will still proudly admit that it’s down!
This is NOT a good thing.

Last night a woman was shot and killed during an armed robbery, she lost her life over money. This instance was not in the slums, but in the bread and butter of the city: the French quarter. The place where the money is made and tourists flock to.
Three kids held her up on the way to her car, three kids who have no value on life and more than likely spent her blood money without the blink of an eye.
This is another notch in the belt of a dying city.
Leadership is a joke and no one will take responsibility of the actions of the citizens.
What can we do?
If the one place that buoy’s the local economy is under fire, then everything is lost.
It’s a sad reality to know that certain neighborhoods have to pay for private security forces to patrol as a measure to keep their residents safe.
Again, not a good thing.

Rallies don’t work, prayer doesn’t work, and the police certainly don’t work.
It’s not as simple as some might point the finger and say it’s all black people.
It’s a matter that bad people who are constantly given multiple chances to continue heinous behavior only grow worse and the company they keep only sees this and acts accordingly.
I have lived in a section of the city that had drug dealers on my stoop, people screaming at all hours.
I have heard descriptive accounts of where drugs are hidden and who wants to kill whom.
Now, I live in a “nice” part of the city. Do I buy it? Not really, I’m just waiting for the shoe to drop. Something is bound to happen in our happy little neighborhood.
It’s the New Orleans brand: nothing is perfect.

I am at a loss for what we’re expected to do outside moving away, going to live someplace where crime doesn’t stare you in the eye and places it’s finger directly in your face and you’re supposed to make a choice; deal or leave.
The people need to stand up for each other, to do something to make this place livable again. When you’re having a good night here, it’s the stuff of legend but when you have that one bad night…you could end up in a pine box.
I implore people aside from myself to do something, say something, start a movement.
Because we cannot accept this any further.

To sweep life under the rug only makes the pile larger and vile.
These are only words on a screen but they are real issues that need to be addressed and unless the city wants everyone armed and ready to end the next attacker by way of vigilante justice, something must be done and NOW.
I don’t have the answers and I wish I wasn’t writing this but this is our reality.
I am enclosing my email address; let’s start a revolution together.
I don’t know what we can do, but let’s at least talk, have a drink and see if we can think of SOMETHING that can help.
Anything at this point is a blessing.

This is life in New Orleans, murder happens.
Kidcarre@gmail.com
Learn more about the world you live in....this stuff is going on in similar populated cities.

Save up and move out....there are always going to be bad and good areas in any part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans