U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:03 AM

126 posts, read 430,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSvirgo View Post
Like some of the other posters, I have also coinsidered moving my family to NOLA next year in order for me to attend graduate school. My children and I love NOLA. We want to be an active participant of this city. I do cringe when I hear about the murders and wonder if I should move my family there. Then, I talk to the people in my area from NOLA and they tell me about how much they miss the city and they can't wait until they return home. They tell me that I should move and be apart of her rebirth. There is crime everywhere and we can't truly escape it. In fact, I live in Jackson, MS and we just set an all time high for murders in 2008. I realize that there are many people in NOLA who wouldn't leave the city for absolutley nothing because they love it that much, flaws and all. I really want to be one of those residents. I want to come to NOLA and help bring the city back to it's full potential. I'm only one person and I know I might not be able to do much, but I do know I can do something; if it's just casting a vote for someone who really has the city's best interest at heart. I read the Times -Picayune and watch WDSU online on a daily basis, so I can keep up with what is going on. I want to be apart of a "new" New Orleans. We just witnessed change sweep across America Tuesday. Maybe NOLA can witness the same.
I'm here...been back since 1 month after the storm. Loving life. Had crawfish last night...heading to run some errands in Carrollton, then Uptown, and actually have to make a stop in the Quarter and will likely go pass through the Market. It's a beautiful day and I love these days when I stomp around New Orleans. There is murder, but, there are two ways to look at life: The glass is either have empty or half full. Pick yours. It's half full for me--have a great day wherever you are out there. You all act like it's a task to live in New Orleans. It's exactly the same as anywhere else to me---except I am in New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,391,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
I'm here...been back since 1 month after the storm. Loving life. Had crawfish last night...heading to run some errands in Carrollton, then Uptown, and actually have to make a stop in the Quarter and will likely go pass through the Market. It's a beautiful day and I love these days when I stomp around New Orleans. There is murder, but, there are two ways to look at life: The glass is either have empty or half full. Pick yours. It's half full for me--have a great day wherever you are out there. You all act like it's a task to live in New Orleans. It's exactly the same as anywhere else to me---except I am in New Orleans.
I used to feel exactly like that, then I started getting tired. I love this city unconditionally and will never give it up without a fight, however I'm starting to think that I along with many other N.Orleanians have just been too damn content with the things that go on here. I mean people care and grow tired but it's always like "oh thats just the way it is", "yes indeed." and then a blind eye is turned.

To most living here is just like living anywhere else and some. We wake up, go to work/school, go home, eat, and go to sleep, as well as the benefits of calling NOLA home. Many of us feel safe and love being here.

The problem is, WE HAVE PROBLEMS (lot's of them). Yea, they have problems everwhere but we don't live everwhere we live in New Orleans.
I come across people often who feel like our problems are no big deal because they exist everwhere. I feel that just because every other city has a problem doesn't mean ours don't need to be fixed. We've had the same problems for so long that they are entrenched and it's impossible to picture the city without them. If these next 10 years don't bring a change there will be nothing left but those of us who care about this place sitting here with delusions of what this place will have become and memories of what it used to be. no jobs, no money, no knowledge, no nothing. It will be get down, or don't get ****

Crooked Politicians -> Crime and Miseducation -> Uneducated students -> Ignorant Adults, Poverty and Criminals -> Election of Crooked Politicians

Those who don't have the means (be it financianally, motivationally, socially, etc.) to figure out what life has to offer are stuck in this cycle for life and don't even realize it.

This city seems to be at the tipping point, where in the next couple years it will begin to overcome it hurdles or it may just run slap into them and fall. At this point it's up to all of us who call this place home to make a difference even if it's something simple. We can not lose this city without a fight. We just have to accept the fact that nothing here is close to being the way it should or at least what it can be.

With that out of the way I guess I'll take the ferry to the moonwalk and admire this greatness that is NOLA

Old 01-24-2009, 06:08 PM

258 posts, read 940,353 times
it's not rocket science: FIGHT FOR WHAT YOU LOVE.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,632,621 times
Quote:

Alon, I so know what you mean, (except I'm a grumpy glass is half empty person). I love to travel, but when I had to leave for K and didn't know when I was going to be able to go home... Well, there's no place like home when you don't have one any more. I too came back shortly after Rita and found home, (my community and culture), more precious than ever before.

I know things here are bad and I understand why people are leaving, thinking about leaving, or are concerned about coming. Crime here has been a problem since I was a little kid; NOLA has been considered "Murder Capital" more than once, so at least we've done this rodeo before and it got better. It will get better again. I don't know what the answer is this time around other than quit voting incumbents back into office until someone makes an actual change in the status quo.

There is a legend that Marie Laveau put a spell on all babies born in NOLA that they will always return home. I really do think it's true. I've never known a native who didn't refer to NOLA as home no matter where they lived. It sounds like she may have included some transplants when she wrote that spell as well. Peace.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 PM

126 posts, read 430,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Alon, I so know what you mean, (except I'm a grumpy glass is half empty person). I love to travel, but when I had to leave for K and didn't know when I was going to be able to go home... Well, there's no place like home when you don't have one any more. I too came back shortly after Rita and found home, (my community and culture), more precious than ever before.

I know things here are bad and I understand why people are leaving, thinking about leaving, or are concerned about coming. Crime here has been a problem since I was a little kid; NOLA has been considered "Murder Capital" more than once, so at least we've done this rodeo before and it got better. It will get better again. I don't know what the answer is this time around other than quit voting incumbents back into office until someone makes an actual change in the status quo.

There is a legend that Marie Laveau put a spell on all babies born in NOLA that they will always return home. I really do think it's true. I've never known a native who didn't refer to NOLA as home no matter where they lived. It sounds like she may have included some transplants when she wrote that spell as well. Peace.
Don't be misconstrued and think that people are leaving. We are actually an expanding metro area with population and the economy. We're growing with Katrina recovery, but, the past few months have seen New Orleans growth accelerate due to the economy in other parts of the nation. Our economy is very healthy and many are transplanting here for economic reasons alone.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,632,621 times
Quote:
Don't be misconstrued and think that people are leaving.
I'm not sure what you mean here. I had a good friend leave this past year because of the crime and high rent, so I know some people are leaving. She left to room with another native who moved because of similar reasons.

If I gave you the impression that I meant leaving in droves, like St. Bernardians after a hurricane warning, I apologize for not making my meaning clearer. I only meant to acknowlege that there are some people who have left the area because of the crime and high rents.

After what happened to my friend I feel obliged to acknowlege that there is a serious problem that is giving some second thoughts, and yes, some, even if just a few, people have left the city. Like I said before, we've been to this rodeo before and things got better. This time will be no different; give it time.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 AM

Here's the million dollar question then, why did it go back if things had gotten better?
I know Katrina messed a lot of things up but, three + years later, this is inexcusable.
I'm happy NOLA.com has nothing but crime stories up.

People need to be educated before we're all hanging those red signs that read:
"A crime happened here"

Old 01-26-2009, 03:21 AM

Taken from NOLA.com

"Baby asleep, dinner plates put away, the evening reverie of Jan. 5 is shattered by a half-dozen sharp reports, tightly clustered at irregular intervals.
Through the open kitchen window, the gunshots sound as close as the neighbor's yard. We later learn they originated three blocks away at North Dupre and St. Ann streets. Bullets struck and killed 47-year-old Kirk Dugar Sr.
It was not the first time I've heard someone die..."

Moderator cut: copyright article : please use this link to read the rest of it. http://www.nola.com/living/t-p/index...500.xml&coll=1

Last edited by leorah; 01-26-2009 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Do not post copyrighted articles please

Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 AM

To all NoLA Risers...we have a scourge across our city that evidently is not being handled by those charged with protecting us. It is time to form an association that allows the people to take back their streets. If you are tired of going to funerals of friends gunned down in the streets, if you are tired of malfeasance in office of those charged to protect us and if you are willing to do something about it...this meeting is for you!

See below!

NOCAC - New Orleans Citizens Against Crime, will hold a meeting Saturday, January 31st, at the Skull Club Alternative Gallery, in the Marigny, corner of Spain & Rampart Streets. Meeting to start at 3pm.

The purpose of this meeting is three fold:

1) To bring local citizens together with the intention of creating better contact, higher awarness of community action, and a forum in which those things can and will occur.

2) To collect and share information necessary to take action against crime, to contact and be heard by City Hall, the New Orleans City Council, the NOPD, and the use of citizen support programs, such as the Text Alert Service, recently implemented.

3) To create a functioning model of a New Orleans Citizens Against Crime neighborhood group, with the hopes of members starting their own
independently run groups, throughout the City of New Orleans.

While initially designed to deal with crime in the 5th District, this meeting is open to all citizens of New Orleans, in the hope that attendees will take the information, and suggested model offered here, to their own immediate neighborhoods, and form independent NOCAC groups of their own.

This meeting is NOT open to City Officials, NOPD or the Organized Press. These institutions can & will be informed of any activities of interest once the platform for action is established. As citizens, we wish to exercise our right of assembly in a private setting, to discuss our situation.

For more information, contact us at: skull-club@cox.net

Lord David
Skull Club
New Orleans

The Second District is actively investingating two thefts involving
(pregnant black females).

On January 20, 2009, at approximately 1:00 p.m.
, three unknown black
females entered 3955 Magazine Street.
Two of the three females were
pregnant along with a third female that was medium build with an
unknown tattoo on the left side of her neck.
While in the location the
two pregnant females occupied the owner, while the third female
retrieved the owner's wallet from her purse then shortly thereafter
they left the location.

On January 21, 2009, at approximately 1:15 p.m.
, two unknown black
females (pregnant) entered 6010 Magazine Street along with a thin
build black male approximately 35-40 years old, holding a baby.
The
subjects sent the clerk to the back to retrieve a pair of shoes and
when she returned to the front of the store, one of the pregnant
females was standing near the office where the clerk's purse was kept.

The clerk then observed the black make exit the store very quickly
with the baby, and shortly thereafter the two females left the
business.
The clerk observed the subjects enter a pearl white Cadillas
Esclade, with unknown license plate in the Radio Shack parking lot.

If anyone comes in contact with the subjects, contact Detective Nicole
McCaskill of the Second District, at 658-6415

Old 01-26-2009, 02:45 PM

127 posts, read 461,765 times
^^ Pregnant women robbers? ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or