Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 14,472 times

Advertisements

Hello. There is a possible career opportunity in the French Quarter for me and my family. We do have two young girls under the age of 5 and would like to know the best public elementary school. I will assume that the community where the school is located will also be a safe one. We are caucasion and not concerned with being in a predominately white environment. We have lived all over the country (S.F., D.C., San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc.) and look for safe environments where we can also soak up the culture.

Any suggestions, first hand experiences (regarding school and community housing opportunities) would be greatly appreciated. We would most likely rent as we don’t foresee our home selling anytime soon where we live in the Northwest. I don’t foresee the need to spend more than $2500 a month on a home (should be at least 2000 sqf).

Thank you in advance for all of your time and assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 04:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,631,717 times
Check out www.greatschools.net for school comparisions within the state. I don't know of any really great ones in New Orleans itself. Metairie has 1 magnet school but it starts in pre-K and they only have a few slots for K and on up. They have not yet opened registration for next year.

I think you will be unpleasantly surprised at rents. Since Katrina, rents have gone up a lot.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 AM

11 posts, read 47,775 times
If you want a good school around the New Orleans area your going to have to pay for it or commute over a 24 mile long bridge everyday.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:30 PM

127 posts, read 498,848 times
I believe Hines.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:12 PM

42 posts, read 206,011 times
Lusher Charter School; K through 12.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM

26 posts, read 168,666 times
Lusher's the one, if you can get in. Then Ben Franklin for high school. Higher quality than anything currently in Jefferson public system.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:46 AM

15 posts, read 114,382 times
I suggest Metairie there are several good elementary schools and they draw from a diverse group. Phoebe Hearst, Bissonet, Metairie Grammar most of the ones in 70005 70003 70001 are good. Phoebe Hearst is walking distance from several nice affordable apartment communities.

When Katrina forced us to Knoxville I regestered my son in public school it was excellent and on a block schedule so I left him there with his brother to finish his semester. When I offered to let him start another he told me. No there was no culture, everyone was white like him and the few that weren't acted like them. He is typical of most around here.

La dept of education has a program where every public school is issued a report card every year its printed in newspaper so probably can be found by searching nola.com or may be on their website.

2,500.00 will get you a very nice home in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans